It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bill to Bar Eating Cats, Dogs Stirs Debate

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I live in Maui and beleive me the philipinos still do eat dogs and cats and goats. They do not try to hide it either. It should be banned.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Hey if you want to be offended go ahead. Me I never saw the percentage in it.
You example was flawed, comparing a cat or dog to a child is bunk. A child is human.
You have a problem with people eating dogs its your problem. Me as long as you aint eating mine I don't really care.
Gives whole new meaning to the word Puppy-farm though.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
and both can be rather tasty ...why not eat them? I'd avocate feeding the strays destroyed at pounds to the homeless. Meat is meat .

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Me as long as you aint eating mine I don't really care.

Apathy at its highest level, kinda sad :shk:

So basically you don't care about the well being of others?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Why don't we start eating Chimps,Dolphins and Boas while we are at it. If its meat eat it, why not.

What we need is a restaurant? that serves up dogs and cats. We will call it "the Happy Puppy" and just like at Red Lobster, your kids will be able to pick a puppy out of a pen to slap on the grill.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I am from North Carolina, here we go what is called "Whole Hog",
it is a phrase taken basically from farmers. The premise being that
when a hog is butchered, nothing is wasted. And I do mean nothing.
This practice was born out of necessity. Every culture has had to adapt
to their surroundings. The practice of eating exotic meats is not unique
to any one culture. Africans eat 'Bush Meat', some Asians eat dogs and cats. In their culture the dogs and cats that are used for food are bred especially for that purpose. I personaly am a dog lover, not so much a cat lover, but still wouldn't want to eat one. The wonderful thing about being human is that we can experience so many wonderful cultures. We need to learn to be more tolerate of others rights, religions and cultures. Passing
laws to forbid something just because we do not agree with it is not right.
You are just forcing your values on others. But neither should you blatantly
insult my beliefs and values by openly doing something that you know will
cause a problem. It comes back to respect for others. In other words, '
I don't swim in your toilet so please don't piss in my pool!'

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Excuse me, but why is it us Americans - in our own country - that always have to be the tolerant ones?

We have our own culture too, and it doesn't include the practice of eating pets.

IMHO, if you want to be able to eat anything with a horizontal backbone, then stay where that's still part of the culture.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Excuse me, but why is it us Americans - in our own country - that always have to be the tolerant ones?

We have our own culture too, and it doesn't include the practice of eating pets.

IMHO, if you want to be able to eat anything with a horizontal backbone, then stay where that's still part of the culture.

Believe me when I say I understand your frustration. Personally I have always thought we would be a lot better off as a nation if we closed our borders and deport every non-citizen that is here. But in the broader scope I ask where would I be if the Native Americans had decided early on while we were outnumbered to give my ancestors the boot. What if at Ellis Island the officals said ok you can enter but you must leave everything that
you know behind, oh and you can only speak english! What if we were never exposed to different ideas, different races and different foods! Would
we be the country we are today. I seriously doubt it. We are unique in all the world because we are made up of so many races and cultures. I becka
whatever it is you consider uniquely American is actually a take off of something that was introduced to us by another culture. There is a line from the movie stripes that kinda sums it all up when Bill Murray said ,
"What are Americans but mutts and whats more loyal than a mutt!?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It is a sociallogical bias that allows you to eat some things anf not others ..I have no problems with the idead of eat a chimp or dolphin ...I've had whale yummy! I wish we could farm whale so it would be cheap to eat !

Originally posted by Bourgeoisie
Why don't we start eating Chimps,Dolphins and Boas while we are at it. If its meat eat it, why not.

What we need is a restaurant? that serves up dogs and cats. We will call it "the Happy Puppy" and just like at Red Lobster, your kids will be able to pick a puppy out of a pen to slap on the grill.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That would be great! I will have the grilled Golden Retreiver, my wife wants to try the Dalmation steak, medium rare, and whats on the kiddies menu? Hmmm, son, go over there and pick which puppy you want deep fried. So, who wants to chip in on the new resturant?

I think this bill is for the people who are stealing peoples pets. You have your dog in a fenced in area, someone comes along, steals it, eats it. ALso, don't eat strays, prove it is a stray, some people, in some areas let their cats out, of course, like around here, it is safe. Cars drive slow, people aren't assholes, and so you can let your cat out. SO is it a pet or a stray?

Do what they do in Mexico with rats, breed them on a farm. Have cat farms, dog farms, so forth.(BTW, had dog once, aunt from Vietnam was going to make thanksgiving dinner all by her self, was so proud to be here in America and wanted to do it, so we let her, well, it wasn't a turkey......)

Anyways, saying no, don't eat cats/dogs, that is wrong. But to say "Go outside, leave some cat food out, then shoot the cats as they come up to eat." is wrong. Like cows, pigs, lambs, so forth, grow on a farm and then eat.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
I think this bill is for the people who are stealing peoples pets. You have your dog in a fenced in area, someone comes along, steals it, eats it.

Its already to steal someones pet as it is thier property and animal cruelty laws can also be applied in those matters where an animal was butchered as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
In order to fully understand what brought this legislation about you might want to read this link, then you may feel differently. Frankly it makes me sick to think that people are stealing dogs to support their drug habits and make a profit by stealing and killing the dogs that are pets to others.

www.envirowatch.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
health related ..dog should be regulated like beef or lamb.... Lambs are cuter than dogs and make good pets too...should we stop eating lamb...maybe we should only eat ugly animals?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollyon
health related ..dog should be regulated like beef or lamb.... Lambs are cuter than dogs and make good pets too...should we stop eating lamb...maybe we should only eat ugly animals?

Dang if you only eat ugly animals then I better stay inside and lock my doors
Its not called ugly to the bone for nothing

Seriously aren't there enough laws on the books now? We are becoming
an over regulated society

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
May I congratualte you on such a pragmatic outcome and brilliant use of recycling.

Why not use the strays as food for the homeless?
That way human strays, get a good meal, and we cut down the cost of having to destroy the pets.

Ideally the homeless could bring any strays they find, and they could be turned into tasty pies, curries, and roasts.

Boy would THAT clean up the streets!

Afterall the Australians have been know to export horse and kangeroo meat to unknowing suckers overseas....

Originally posted by Apollyon
and both can be rather tasty ...why not eat them? I'd avocate feeding the strays destroyed at pounds to the homeless. Meat is meat .

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
We have many cultures entering the states everyday. Should they be able to do as they did in the country that they had left? I say NO. Once you enter this country you are to follow the laws of this country no matter the culture. If you ate dog in your other country then you better get used to not eating dog any longer if you wish to stay in this one.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There have been a few people on this thread acting like they dictate the laws in America, saying crap like "If you want to eat dog live somewhere else" likely they're white christian males with a messianic complex, but that aside they don't run this country, and they don't speak for it.

The people who built this country, and continue to serve it tirelessly, are from every OTHER country on the globe as well as this one. This country is a melting pot, accept it and move on with your lives. Go down to chinatown, see how receptive they are to your 'legislative suggestion' that they shouldn't be allowed to serve/sell/eat something because you think it's wrong. People adopt snakes for pets, does that mean I can't enjoy snake soup in the winter time in NY? You make the laws, we'll ignore them. Simple as that.

You're taking personal preference and trying to legislate it, ludicrous! The precedent you're trying to set means anyone who disaproves of any food item can make it illegal. How are you going to like it when the vegans use this to outlaw ALL meat you jackasses!? You take my steak away from me I swear to God..

Think for five seconds, about this cherished America, before you go running your mouths 'in defense' of it. Liberty, Freedom, Justice, say it with me. Make it a mantra because you've clearly forgotten it.

Is it just to put someone in jail for killing an animal to eat, no! Is it just to put someone in jail for killing an animal that belonged to another, of course - because that's theft! We already have laws for this, we don't need any more!

This is why the judicial system in America is so unwieldy and ineffecient, people keep coming up with and passing these redundant, overreaching laws.

Just because you find the practice of eating dog offensive, doesn't mean you get to tell other people what they can or cannot eat. It's obviously wrong to steal other peoples pets, but eating strays or raising puppies, or bunnies, or octopus, whatever, that's the perogative of the chef. You tell me I can't excercise my freedom in America and I'll get on your case for it. You make a law that limits my freedom to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, I'll ignore it. You try to enforce these kinds of laws and you'll have a major public relations disaster on your hands, try it and see.

A note to all those who joked about having a 'dog food' restaurant, I'm in, let's go!

But for the record snake is better, hell, alligator is ten times better, and it's easy to raise. Combination Alligator/chicken farm is the way to go in my opinion, but hell, if you wanna eat dog knock yourselves out. I don't have the right to limit what goes in to your stomach, and you don't have the right to limit what goes into mine, I think all the sensible people on this thread agree with me.

There should totally be a Libertarian Superhero TV show. Maybe in Canada...
I wanna be Captain Smack the Taste Out cho' Mouth, heh, but no tights.

[edit on 23-2-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Originally posted by mwm1331
Me as long as you aint eating mine I don't really care.

Apathy at its highest level, kinda sad :shk:

So basically you don't care about the well being of others?

This is not apathy, this is true tolerance. As long as your desire to eat a dof is not infringing on my rights why should I object? How do you interpert this as not caring about the well being of others? If I go to a pet store and buy a puppy which I feed and raise with the intent of using it as a foodsource who are you to object? If however you steal my dog then you are nfrnging upon my rights, then I have a problem, If you kill a stray which is unowned again where is the problem? Why is it OK to eat beef and not dof? Because you find dogs cute but not cows. If any animal is a legitimate food source all animals are a legitimate food source. Yes I will and have had as pets, and as food snake. As well as gator, deer, birds, etc. Would I eat a dog a cat or a monkey? Yes why not. Meat is Meat. I would not kill a human to eat it, but were I in a ituation such as the famed Donner Party, where the only available food was a dead human I would eat that as well to survive.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
WyrdeOne goes off

You're taking personal preference and trying to legislate it, ludicrous!

And Wyrde is taking personal preferance and trying to elevate it over cultural norms.

There is a balance between a culture using democratic principals to determine that ANY behaivior is or is not acceptable, and that of personal freedoms.

The overall culture has every right, from each citizen, to express itself as a whole by saying..."we dont eat dogs and cats here". This is fine and indeed how democracy could work this out.

but YES, a person that doesnt like the cultural values that result in no eating dogs laws does have the choice to leave and go to a culture that accepts this.

WyrdeOne stammers,

Think for five seconds, about this cherished America, before you go running your mouths 'in defense' of it.
one, two, three, four, five...hmm, ok ive done as you asked and thought about it...there is still no reason why a democratic culture cant decide this behaivior is not for them and take steps to prevent its occurance. This is basic sociology at work here.

I AGREE that this would "discriminate" against people that come here and are used to this as a cultural norm where they origionated, but this in no way means that they are not under the constraints of the new culture to which they are emmigrating. So what?

The culture, while a melting pot, does have certain standards that represent what being an American is basically about, and generally eating dogs and cats isnt promoted....in fact its not a popular idea at all.

wyrdeOne loses his way here,

There have been a few people on this thread acting like they dictate the laws in America
Indeed THEY DO! The citizens can and SHOULD tell their legislators what laws and beaiviors they expect the government to enact or reject...this is exactly as the founding founders envisioned...participation BY THE PEOPLE!
This means that if the overall majority of citizens feel this way and band together to make this a law and part of defining the American Culture, then what is the problem?

WyrdeOne,

Just because you find the practice of eating dog offensive, doesn't mean you get to tell other people what they can or cannot eat.

Self respect is when you stand up for yourself, your beliefs, and your identity,
Americans shouldnt be affraid to stand up and say this behaivior isnt for us
and we shouldnt CONDEM them for showing this self respect for their cultural heritage by doing so.

WyrdeOne, why would it be wrong for a democratic culture to say "no, we dont think this is appropriate for us to accept as part of our cultural definition/norms"?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Geeeez no more Dog eating, does anyone know how to cook up a Racoon?

Since my only source of Protien is being taken away!!!!!

Shucks!!!!

But seriously, if I eat beef and my neighboor eats pork and you eat chicken it shouldn't matter who eats dog meat,CAT OR RAT!!!!!

To each His own, now if people are the main entree' than thats where we need to intervien!!!!!

[edit on 23-2-2005 by 2ndSEED]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join