It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 32 killed by 7.0 quake in Indonesia's Lombok, Bali islands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

DENPASAR, Indonesia, Aug 5 (Reuters) - At least 32 people were killed on Sunday when Indonesia's resort island of Lombok was hit by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake. The powerful quake triggered panic among tourists and residents, and was also felt on the neighboring holiday island of Bali. On Lombok, thousands fled from their homes to gather for safety in open spaces.

aol

Another severe eq with a death toll.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.
edit on 5-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have never in my life experienced an earthquake. That would really freak me out!
Prayers for all who have been affected.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Jakarta: The death toll for a magnitude 7 earthquake that rocked the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok and neighbouring Bali has risen to 82, triggering a tsunami warning just a week after another quake in the same region killed 16 people. The hit about 6.46pm Jakarta time (9.46pm AEST) on Sunday, 27 kilometres north-east of northern Lombok at a 15-kilometre depth.

www.smh.com.au...

edit on 5-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I have never in my life experienced an earthquake. That would really freak me out!

Its a lot scarrier than the tornados im use to, at least you can see tornados

Unless its at night, thats pretty scary.

My heart goes out to all these people

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

I've never seen a tornado either.

Mother Earth is so profoundly beautiful and frightening at the same time.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I've been in a few deadly ones. You feel insignificant and nothing you can do about it. All you want is hug your family or friends and wait for God's mercy.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Ha. Ha. IN the middle of the night, you only hear those d#$mn things. Whump--whump- whump. Something like an old fashioned Choo Choo train. Coming out in the morning light, and seeing all those snapped off tree tops, does seem to be a clue. What you are hearing at night is the rapid rotation in the air streams.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I don’t understand why people live in places prone to natural disasters. Coastal areas are usually bad except for maybe the Great Lakes or something. Why live in tornado alley? Why live along the Ring of Fire? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don’t understand why people live in places prone to natural disasters. Coastal areas are usually bad except for maybe the Great Lakes or something. Why live in tornado alley? Why live along the Ring of Fire? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

Because there is no place on earth that isn't suceptable to natural disasters.

Be it hurricanes, tornados, earth quakes, flooding, tsunamis, wildfires etc.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I've been in a few deadly ones. You feel insignificant and nothing you can do about it. All you want is hug your family or friends and wait for God's mercy.

Good Lord, get the hell out of there if you can afford to!

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: carpooler

Ha. Ha. IN the middle of the night, you only hear those d#$mn things. Whump--whump- whump. Something like an old fashioned Choo Choo train. Coming out in the morning light, and seeing all those snapped off tree tops, does seem to be a clue. What you are hearing at night is the rapid rotation in the air streams.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I have always thought that as well. I figure some folks can't afford to move. I feel fortunate to be where I am in the smallest State. I am relatively safe here.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a 6.4 then a 7.0.... hopefully these are not 'foreshocks'

As for ''why do people live in these areas?''.... Bali is nearly a third world country. These people can barely afford food, let alone move out of Indonesia.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Imagine you are driving down a road when suddenly your car starts swerving from side to side for no reason. That's like being in an earthquake. Or your apartment starts shaking and everything starts falling out of cupboards. The Japanese have simulators to do that kind of testing.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Great Lakes have snow blizzards and temperatures that go below -35C - once bought a couple of freezer thermometers. It was colder outside than inside the freezer. Then there is the 401 freeway which is a natural disaster zone in itself because there are no barriers between the two directions of traffic and the lighting is terrible in blizzard conditions.

The probability of being hit by a tornado or hurricane is once every twenty years or less, so people buy beachside land at firesale prices, build their dream home, then when there is a hurricane warning, they buy chipboard to protect the windows, and leave the state. Then when they come back, the beach and home is gone. So they sell up at firesale prices.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

It's ok NS. That was when I was in South America, around the Nazca Plate and Volcanoes.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Because as scary as a tornado is, you might just have better odds of hitting the Powerball.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I'll tell you, my heart goes out to people living in dangerous areas. I would be scared to death!

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Volcanoes too? You like living on the edge or what? LOL

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Nah, moved from FL to MI, we get blizzards, bitter cold temps. floods, tornadoes and minor quakes here, And the occasional derecho every so often, from what I've been told (land hurricanes, more or less). Sorry to burst your bubble, but s# happens anywhere.

In Florida, I put up with hurricane season, including the Trifecta Hurricane Year ('04) That was 2 weeks of fun without electricity /sarc
I've also experienced a quake in the Gulf of Mexico ('06) Since they're not particularly common, every 20 or 30 years or so, it was particularly jarring. No damage, but it reminds you Mother Nature's still boss 'round them parts.

In MI, I slept through a quake, '15 I think. Freaked many folks out, but eh, I didn't even wake up from my nap. And I had a forming tornado go right over my house another year, quite literally. It was quite a sight to take in, watching the trees suddenly go from upright to bent over damn near 90 degrees and debris flying everywhere. Then realizing "Oh s#, I see the tornado, wtf. Whelp, better get in the basement!"

As an aside, I prefer hurricanes over tornadoes. At least you get enough info and warning to leave if it's projected to be devastating. Tornadoes just crop up whenever, wherever during the season. You have a good idea that a storm might spit some out, but it's never as dead on as a hurricane track forecast.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Perfection doesn't exist, Nature laughs at the concept.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join