It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Need For A Global Alert System For Celestial Impacts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Today is August 4, 2018,

On this date, I have been informed that a celestial impact occurred on July 25th with a yield of 2.1 Kilotons.
www.newsweek.com...

This was far too late and too slow of a response, with an abhorrent reaction by governing authorities.

To provide context for my scrutiny, the bomb from Hiroshima in World War II had a yield of around 16 Kilotons, and killed roughly 100,000 people.
en.wikipedia.org...

From a technical scientific standpoint, my reasoning may not be a perfect fit, but I can't know for sure, because of the minimal amount of information distributed on this recent event.

If we were to extrapolate this down by a ratio of 1/8, had this event occurred over my example city of Raleigh, North Carolina, it would have had the capability to completely destroy more than half of a square mile of urban area.
With an average population density of over 3,000 people per square mile, the instantaneous death toll would have been between 1000 and 2000 people.
en.wikipedia.org...

This level of apathy and sluggish response of authorities, is unacceptable, to the highest degree.

We need an established system for reporting, handling, and responding to celestial impact events on this scale of magnitude.

I am appalled at this situation, and you should be too.

What is the point of having an interconnected system of communication, that is globally distributed across our whole planet, if we are not using it effectively for situations that obviously need it?

This was a failure, whose fault does not fall on any individual group, nation, or organization.
The blame for this failure, is on all. We shoulder this equally, I have failed, WE have failed.

The only right thing to do, is to make sure this does not occur in the same way again.
We better ourselves, by learning from mistakes. This mistake is not just a single teaching point. This mistake is a full lesson.

It's too much material to cover in one class, we all have homework to do.
Our assignment: Establish a global emergency alert system.

This must be done, there is no extra credit nor Summer school, if we get this wrong.
We have no option for failure on this.
edit on 4-8-2018 by Archivalist because: updated source

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

To provide context for my scrutiny, the bomb from Hiroshima in World War II had a yield of around 16 Kilotons, and killed roughly 100,000 people.
And it detonated at an altitude of 580 meters wereas the meteor in question exploded at an altitude of 43,300 meters. You might want to include that in your calculations.

This was a failure, whose fault does not fall on any individual group, nation, or organization.
A failure to detect a rather tiny asteroid. Yes.
edit on 8/4/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
They are working on it.

cneos.jpl.nasa.gov...

Forgot to add this one.

www.meteorwatch.org...

edit on 4-8-2018 by Groot because: forgot to add a link

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

"From a technical scientific standpoint, my reasoning may not be a perfect fit, but I can't know for sure, because of the minimal amount of information distributed on this recent event. "

Thanks for your added input Phage.

Either way, this was dangerous, and shouldn't have taken two weeks to go around.

43,000 feet is within flight range of high altitude aircraft. If a passenger jet was directly under it, even at around 30,000 feet(very standard flight altitude), I feel confident in my assertion that it would have still had the capability to kill hundreds.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Have we had an actual impact from a large meteorite HITTING the earth instead of burning up or bursting in the atmosphere? Even the Tunguska meteorite is theorized to have exploded before it connected with the ground.

Maybe our wonderful earth has defenses that will not allow a large impact to occur.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Either way, this was dangerous, and shouldn't have taken two weeks to go around.
Why? It happened and caused no problem for anyone. Such an event could well happen every year, over places where no one is.

43,000 feet is within flight range of high altitude aircraft.
Meters. Not feet.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Maybe they don’t want one.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Good idea, get on it, save the world.... Or just sit online anonymously and complain that no one is doing anything about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Since the .gov & .mil are being hush about it, who sez it was an actual meteor?
edit on 4-8-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Actually, ".gov" shows it quite plainly.
cneos.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The Air Force can't help the fact you find out about stuff days after the fact. They tracked it well ahead and calculated the trajectory and atmospheric bounce explosion with perfection, because that's EXACTLY WHAT THULE Air Station does! You just calm down jitters, eat your Cheetos and drink your Mountain Dew, we got this...

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

They tracked it well ahead and calculated the trajectory and atmospheric bounce explosion with perfection,

Probably not. "Tracking" a rather tiny asteroid that is moving at 55,000 mph is not what they do.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

And you beLIEve them -ahem- yourself?

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Yeah.

What do you think it was, if not a meteor?

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Super duper secret biophage weaponry.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Oh.

Odd place to deploy it.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Like testing on US soldiers is a new thing?

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Yeah, well.

Releasing bioweapons at 43 km seems odd.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The United States secretly tested chemical and biological weapons on American soil during the 1960s, newly declassified Pentagon reports show.

The tests included releasing deadly nerve agents in Alaska and spraying bacteria over Hawaii, according to the documents obtained Tuesday.

The United States also tested nerve agents in Canada and Britain in conjunction with those two countries, and biological and chemical weapons in at least two other states, Maryland and Florida.

The summaries of more than two dozen tests show that biological and chemical tests were much more widespread than the military has acknowledged previously.

The Pentagon released records earlier this year showing that chemical and biological agents had been sprayed on ships at sea. The military reimbursed ranchers and agreed to stop open-air nerve agent testing at its main chemical weapons center in the Utah desert after about 6,400 sheep died when nerve gas drifted away from the test range.
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Yeah.

But 43 km seems sort of high for a bioweapon test. The atmosphere does a lot of different stuff between there and the ground.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join