It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia boosts Iraq deployment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Australia is planning to send an additional 450 troops to Iraq, Prime Minister John Howard has said.

He said the new soldiers will provide security for Japanese engineers working in southern Iraq and support efforts towards democracy.

Australia already has around 950 troops stationed in the Middle East.

Prime Minister Howard, a firm ally of US President George W Bush, said he knew the surprise announcement would "be unpopular with many" Australians.

But he said Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi of Japan had telephoned to request the troops be sent.

Mr Howard said his country will maintain troops in Iraq as long as they are needed.
BBC
news.com.au
SMH

Overall I dont think extra the troops with affect the overall picture in Iraq. Unless the quality of Iraqi sercuity personal improves the work done by the engineers may be in vain. Heres hoping the engineers can make life better for every day Iraqis.
relvant topic

[edit on 21-2-2005 by xpert11]

[edit on 21-2-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank the Aussies.

True allies in the face of danger ---- it will not be forgotten.

Cheers!@

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Doing so is noble.I' just afraid the outcome of doing so could be disastrous.It's like you did something without much thought and only seconds later you feel as if you did a bad move.Well,we''ll just see whether it proves to be a big help or a costly mistake that could be avoided.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I find it sick that our Australian government not only disregards its own public's opinion, but that it places more of our troops in a hostile situation for no other reason than to appease a nation that was the catalyst for such aggressive war in the first place.

This is not a good move.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn
I find it sick that our Australian government not only disregards its own public's opinion, but that it places more of our troops in a hostile situation for no other reason than to appease a nation that was the catalyst for such aggressive war in the first place.

This is not a good move.

Actually it was Japan that requested the troops, not the US. They will be guarding engineers re-building Iraq. It is very important that Iraq does get re-built because if people have jobs/schools to go to and all the other things we take for granted it will make the country more stable.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Cheers to our Aussie mates, since i don't have a foster i'll have to make do with a budweiser. CHEERS MATES AND THANKS

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trent
Actually it was Japan that requested the troops, not the US.

That's what they tell you. I will gladly wager a bet that the protection of Japanese was concocted as an excuse at the very last minute. Really, 450 troops is nothing. 450 extra troops won't stop a civil war but may very well get caught up in one.

Originally posted by marinefan
Cheers to our Aussie mates, since i don't have a foster i'll have to make do with a budweiser. CHEERS MATES AND THANKS

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But nobody drinks Fosters in Australia. Marketing is an evil and dishonest thing at times, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
He's right about the Fosters.. Us Aussies are far more worldly that we make out, personally i prefer German/Dutch bier

An Extreamly unpopular decision by Mr Howard(Our Prime Minister), but we have to do our part... what for i'm not sure
....lets hope not to satisfy greed the greed of business.

And "Mate" Sounds horrible as a plural doesn't it..."Mates"....Lets just say Lads, Chaps or Gentlemen

As an Australian with German/Euro heritage I hold dearly The American peoples friendship, and wish that none of our troops were in harms way, but wish them all the best.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azza
And "Mate" Sounds horrible as a plural doesn't it..."Mates"....Lets just say Lads, Chaps or Gentlemen

I can just imagine the C.O. at Darwin giving the moral boosting speech to our Diggers upon departure...

"Tally Ho and dib-dib to all! *snork*
Now!...you will each be armed with. 1: A pushbike. 2. A baton. 3. A whistle (on a necklace chain so you don't lose it) 4. A steady supply of canned smoked herrings in tomato sauce.

And due to the latest intelligence from Iraq, if questioned by a local just reply "ello ello ello, what's goin' on 'ere then?"

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank the Aussies.

True allies in the face of danger ---- it will not be forgotten.

Cheers!@

Sorry, Ed. You're gonna have to thank Johnny Howard for this one, not Aussies. The greater majority of the rest of the country doesn't want a part of this War on Oil farce.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

This is not a good move.

You seem so sure of yourself. Most polls conducted put the Australian public slightly in favor of sending more troops. There definately isn't an overwhelming negativity towards it.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by rogue1]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
You seem so sure of yourself. Most polls conducted put the Australian public slightly in favor of sending more troops. There definately isn't an overwhelming negativity towards it.

Why shouldnt I be sure of my self? I did my research, did you?

a clear majority of Australians now believe last year's invasion was not worth the effort.

Just 32 per cent of the community believe John Howard's decision to send troops into Iraq was justified, according to a Newspoll conducted exclusively for The Australian.

This represents a steep fall from the 46 per cent surveyed in February who believed Australia's war effort was justified.

Nearly 60 per cent now believe it was not worth Australia joining the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

The Australian - 27dec04

Howard under fire for new troop deployment

With a Channel Ten telephone poll showing 71 per cent of respondents opposed the extra troop commitment, Mr Howard yesterday refused to rule out sending more troops.

Sydney Morning Herald - 24feb05

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azza
He's right about the Fosters.. Us Aussies are far more worldly that we make out, personally i prefer German/Dutch bier

An Extreamly unpopular decision by Mr Howard(Our Prime Minister), but we have to do our part... what for i'm not sure
....lets hope not to satisfy greed the greed of business.

As an Australian with German/Euro heritage I hold dearly The American peoples friendship, and wish that none of our troops were in harms way, but wish them all the best.

Right sorry about then i stand corrected... but still it's a decent brew a lot more powerful than some of our stuff

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Originally posted by Trent
Actually it was Japan that requested the troops, not the US.

That's what they tell you. I will gladly wager a bet that the protection of Japanese was concocted as an excuse at the very last minute. Really, 450 troops is nothing. 450 extra troops won't stop a civil war but may very well get caught up in one.

Originally posted by marinefan

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But nobody drinks Fosters in Australia. Marketing is an evil and dishonest thing at times, don't you think?

well to each his own..marketing ain't all bad but there are times when things go way way over the top

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I love how they spin this. If you remove x numbers of troops from the field and replace them with z numbers of troop, it is boosting deployment, although there are less over all troops than before.

The "coalition of the willing," another misnomer. Patriotic panty waist ra raing the flag at every perceive good news. Pathetic.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
450 Additional Australian grunts is a pretty big chunk when you think that the ADF only has roughly only 6000 regular grunts... I do not think that Australia or any country for that matter, should have gone to war... But now that the war is "over" I think it is only appropriate that the "Coalition of the Willing" rebuilds what they destroyed...

[edit on 7-3-2005 by ghostsoldier]

new topics

top topics

join