It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Judge Ordered Deputies to Tape Man's Mouth Shut During Sentencing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

"This is America ... where a judge found it appropriate to order that a particularly chatty defendant be gagged, literally taping the man’s mouth shut, instead of you know, adding an additional charge of contempt of court or something more refined.

Franklyn Williams, 32, showed up in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court on Tuesday, insistent on defending himself at his sentencing hearing. To be fair, Williams would not stop speaking, even after dozens of warnings from Judge John Russo over the span of some 30 minutes."

Ohio Judge Ordered Deputies to Tape Black Man's Mouth Shut During Sentencing

Can't help but wonder as to legality nevermind the medical danger this kind of act of depravity transpiring in what is supposed to be a court of law says about the system and today's society?

Your thoughts please fellow members on the subject in question.
edit on 3-8-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
he should have just stfu.. I have no problem with this..

And the title wow.. Why cant it just say judge order mans mouth duct taped..

Because he would have done this to a white guy who wouldnt just STFU too..

but hes black so it has to be racist..

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I personally think nowadays that you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Society is in a no-win situation for the most part.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Who cares if the guy is black?? Way to make it a race thing, op. The video even uses the term "suspect", yet you have to point out that the guy is black. He was warned multiple times, and from the sounds of it he's been warned in multiple other sessions, yet he still continues to speak. I say he totally deserved it, and oddly enough, it didn't stop him from speaking.

Seriously, though, people like you irk me to no end. Stop turning everything into a damned race issue, I'm brown and if I were doing that in court, I would have deserved that as well.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I think # like this happens quite often.

Most famous that I remember is the abbie Hoffman crew. Couple of those dudes were taped up.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

I personally think nowadays that you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Society is in a no-win situation for the most part.

TRUISM

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
he should have just stfu.. I have no problem with this..

And the title wow.. Why cant it just say judge order mans mouth duct taped..

Because he would have done this to a white guy who wouldnt just STFU too..

but hes black so it has to be racist..

no no, it was a black man, that makes 1000000 times worse than just any man, its racist and terrible.

gak

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

No matter the Mans ethnicity, duct taping an already hand, and i assume, leg cuffed defendant in a court of law seems rather an extreme nevermind downright wrong to me.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

No matter the Mans ethnicity, duct taping an already hand, and i assume, leg cuffed defendant in a court of law seems rather an extreme nevermind downright wrong to me.

Then dont commit a crime and end up in his courtroom.

and if you do then do what he says and STFU..

They could have taped him and put a net over his face..
edit on 3-8-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

What was his other option kicking the man out of his own hearing to not have a chance to refute later when it was his turn to speak?

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Doing all the things he did to even be in court seems downright wrong to me. Continually ignoring warnings from repeated sessions and wasting everyones time also seems downright wrong to me. Everything he did to be there and everything he did while he was there shows a complete lack of respect to anyone, yet now people are upset because he wasn't respected??

Respect is earned, not given, and this man didn't seem to earn any respect.
edit on 3-8-2018 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Have to wonder if the guy with the tape wrapped around his mouth was irked?

It is what it is I'm afraid, and if i, or this article, somehow annoys you or offends your sensibilities then that's your own lookout really.

It's not about race, it's about duct tape and gagging people in whats supposed to be a court of law!

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Why does his race matter?

Gagging seems odd though, I would have just sent him back to his cell, and to the back of the line for his next court hearing.

Although, gagging him allowed him to get sentenced then and there.

He’s got 24 years to talk as much as he likes now.

edit on 3/8/18 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

yes it supposed to be a court of law not a talk show, hence the tape

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

It's not about race, it's about duct tape and gagging people in whats supposed to be a court of law!

Then change the title. or find a source (lot of them) that does not make it about race..

But you found a source to make it about race..

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

"This is America ... where a judge found it appropriate to order that a particularly chatty defendant be gagged, literally taping the man’s mouth shut, instead of you know, adding an additional charge of contempt of court or something more refined.

Franklyn Williams, 32, showed up in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court on Tuesday, insistent on defending himself at his sentencing hearing. To be fair, Williams would not stop speaking, even after dozens of warnings from Judge John Russo over the span of some 30 minutes."

Ohio Judge Ordered Deputies to Tape Black Man's Mouth Shut During Sentencing

Can't help but wonder as to legality nevermind the medical danger this kind of act of depravity transpiring in what is supposed to be a court of law says about the system and today's society?

Your thoughts please fellow members on the subject in question.

Your title is race baiting. Is that really something you want to promote?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I don't mention race, that's the article/title.

I'm more interested in the legality of the matter and downright wrongness of the whole affair in general.

Gagging does seem odd indeed.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Is that a violation of the 1st amendment?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

Not my title per say, it came with the article.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Unless this post is implying that black peoples are too stupid to follow direction and therefore need to be treated like a retarded kid acting up in public.

How does his skin color play into the equation

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join