It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteering at a hospice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Being a person whom has provided a lot for certain charities- mainly childfind and the Shriners hospital, I often find myself looking to give more than money.
There is a call for volunteers for one of the local hospices here in town.

I think providing a person with my time and attention is more valuable than money.

So i think I’m going to do it.

Has anyone here volunteered somewhere such as a hospice?

How difficult is it?
Do you allow yourself to become attached to the person?

I think in order to give the person my all, I would have to create an attachment, but how do you go about it with out hurting yourself in the end.

edit on 2-8-2018 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I have not volunteered for hospice, but I look forward to following this. I had 2 family members use hospice to help slip them into the next life.

Seems like it would be hard, but bless you for having the motivation to look into and possibly do this.
edit on 2-8-2018 by atsgrounded because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I worked at an "old folks home" for a bit a while back. I met some really cool people there, and they all died. I found I wasn't made to deal with that much death at one time. For some, it's no problem. I just hate to see good people leave this place.

I do think that would be a very noble cause and would make some significant differences in some lives. I wish you luck with it.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I have. They honestly won't always be interested in getting attached to you, just be prepared for that. As you know, these people are just incredibly sick and often heavily medicated.
It's still incredibly sad when someone passes.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yup worked in one for a while good on you and yup it is pretty hard not to get attached and yup I cried my eyes out often.
But it sure is good for the soul and very rewarding but eventually It got to me but I still work in care.
Good on you

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well I’m going to do my best to be the best person I can for these people.

I can see what you guys mean by it being rewarding.

I’m not afraid to cry, nor love for that matter.

No one should have to die alone.

I just hope I can bring some happiness and ease to these people as they take their final journey here.
I think it will be very interesting getting to hear different people’s stories.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Hospice workers are true Earth Angels. When my brother was passing, they were as much a blessing to me and my family as they were to my brother. God love and bless you all.

Maybe this can help: Understanding Hospice Volunteering from the Cross Roads Hospice Charitable Foundation.

And maybe something here: Hospital Volunteer Advice (Google search)

Good luck and God bless and thank you for being awesome

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I work in that environment...

They would be happy to have someone to lend a hand... there are a lot of people that have no one with them when its their time...

Someone to sit and talk with, or just be at their side even if they're not aware is always appreciated

And you will get attached... but one has to think of it as a transition, not an end

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Well I’m going to do my best to be the best person I can for these people.

I can see what you guys mean by it being rewarding.

I’m not afraid to cry, nor love for that matter.

No one should have to die alone.

I just hope I can bring some happiness and ease to these people as they take their final journey here.
I think it will be very interesting getting to hear different people’s stories.

I love this, Macenroe. Wishing you all the best

link   
sorry the lag took over, triple post.

All of you in this thread are awesome, btw

edit on 2-8-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 2-8-2018 by zosimov because: triple post blues!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Having watched my mother and my step-mother go through the long, painful process of a slow death at Hospice of Cincinnati I can tell you it takes a special person to volunteer at such a place. I don't think I would have the stomach to volunteer and be surrounded by that much death and pain on a regular basis.

I prefer to volunteer by working with the youth in my community through coaching at the local high school and during summer programs. I also am very generous with my financial donations to youth sports organizations.

My wife and daughter volunteer at the local Ronald McDonald house and really enjoy that work. I will just say if you can do the hospice you are a better person than me.

Good luck.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It sounds absolutely miserable. Watching people literally die on their way out.

But props to you for volunteering there, i couldnt bring myself there.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Being a volunteer w hospice? And a EMT? A bit of advice....try to not get friendly attached to the terminally ill.

I have lost 3 I cared deeply for this year...it's very hard. You are needed...and it's selfless and wonderful thing to do.

Good for you...and God Bless you.
MS

1st Responder
EMT
Volunteer
edit on 2-8-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Power to you. My mum died in a hospice when I was young and remember the place down to the smell. Horrible place but for me it was because of what I went through. these places are much better then dying in a hospital and I remember how kind the nurses were to me a kid who knew what was about to happen. Their compassion to not just me but my mum was incredible. It takes a certain type of person to do this job. Sadly, I am not one of them but I am full of admiration for people that have the ability to care on this level when all is so lost.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

We volunteer as well and give money. It never seems enough.
I work with intellectually and developmentally disabled adults but, most of that is a paid position except for gatherings and special Olympics etc. One just doesn't seem to have enough time for everyone that needs them.

One of my best friends was a hospice RN. She now works with me but, she is one of the most compassionate and empathetic people that I have ever had the privilege of knowing. She opened our hospice house in our county and was a rock when I was with hospice with my Mom almost 4 years ago, She was not only a wealth of information but, helped me along so much that I will be eternally grateful. She was there 24/7 which may be all that some folks need. Someone to talk to for a minute, a release or a way to just talk it out.

It disturbs me to this day that I may have given my Mom that final dose of morphine that sent her out however the alternative was much, much worse.

I agree with the poster above that it is a transition period, that we are helping them to move on. Although that doesn't make it easier... I think that there are a lot of folks who have no one to care or come around and that makes me sad.
My sister in law is in rehab finally after breaking an ankle and suffering a lot of set backs, my 83 year old sister who has Alzheimers is with me. My sister in law was in hospice at home until the accident and had to check out and hopefully she will check back in. She had a volunteer who helped them and she was wonderful and with me being 3 hours away, I would have gladly paid her for her volunteer time. Sometimes the family just needs a little help.

Good luck and please let us know how it all work out and thanks for letting me or giving me a venue to vent a little.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for the kind words.
Just to let you know, this wasn’t a look at me I’m a hero thread lol.
I appreciate everyone here who took the time to give me a reflection in to their own experiences with a hospice.

top topics

join