It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish!.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Fish! I love fish my first full time job was a fishmonger and before that job I hated fish I was scared of choking on a bone and such and did not know the wonderful different species and tastes what the sea creatures give us. (Also the fact A good fishmonger can removed every bone
).
As you get older you do look back and looking back I loved that job bar skinking all the time.
I used to fillet huge Tuna like this.

I never ate as well as I did there I used to slice chunks of boneless tuna and dip them in a chili vinegar and munch away as I worked, garlic mackerel, bags of mussels boiled in a tea pot (which we made our tea in also) for dinner and maybe a freshed dressed crab for a snack.
Used to be cheap as chips but nowadays it is expensive over here in the UK well for fresh anyhow.
Anyhow here is little recipe of my own which is lovely.

4 filleted and skinned Rainbow trout.
Small bunch of black grapes.
Garlic lots (to taste).
Ginger lots(to taste I like lots).
Spring onions.
Chili sliced.
Spinach or pat choi.
Tinfoil
A few cocktail sticks.
Oven.

Blanch the Spinach and spring onion for a minute or so just to get them going and then take them and put on top of the fillets which have been placed on a big sheet of tin foil roll the fillets up and use the cocktail sticks to hold into position so you are stuffing the fillets.
Then cut the grapes into two and pop next to them with crushed garlic,Chili and ginger.
Then you seal it all in with tin foil but leave a lot of space in the package so it steams in its own juices.
Then pop it in the oven for 15 mins or so depending on how you like your fish.

But to be honest I just wing all my fish creations and they all turn out great because of Fish!.

So gimmie your own recipes

edit on 2-8-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Thanks for writing this.

Since I began living on an island, made connections with fisherman, I have had fresh seafood at my disposal.

Fish soups, I feel, are underrated. I make a mean clam chowder, fish chowder, but my favorite is a West Coast Bouillabaisse with a roast pepper rouille (basically a sauce for soups).

I highly recommend.

West Coast Bouillabaisse

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Words

Ooooooo gonna try that saffron though never seen it up north.
I will amazon it lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Ooooooo gonna try that saffron though never seen it up north.
I will amazon it lol.

Yeah I picked up a bunch in Thailand. It should be available in any Indian or South Asian grocery store, however.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Try a local shop that caters for foreign customers. Indians, Pakistanis, Turkish, Iranians and such-like. They will be much cheaper than a supermarket but real Saffron is expensive. You don't need much though. I buy my herbs, spices and meat at an Islamic (Halal) shop here and they are great. And friendly too.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

My favorite thing to do with trout is to apple/cherrywood smoke it and then can it in olive oil with a little sage.

Makes the best "tuna fish" sandwich ever.

Although it is pretty awesome pickled too... (my Swede side is showing!)

Edited to add... I can walk through my back yard to the river and catch 3-5 decent sized rainbow trout in about an hour, so normally I don't serve trout for dinner. We burnt out on it. Actually cooking a fish is reserved for the majestic Walleye, which is the best eating fish ever, in my humble opinion.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Just braai a Snoek (dry game fish) the other day

1. Fold foil in a swallow container (shinny side inside) and put in turntable grill
2. Place fish skin side down
3. A very hot fire (forget the bull about a slow fire)
4. Sprinkle salt
5. Throw mixture over fish and use brush to keep it wet
6. When nearly done – you will see the flesh of the fish becoming stiff and white
7. Now you turn the fish for the first and last time – the mixture can fall in the fire because the fish should be done and only need to get a BQ color and not to dry on the inside

My mixture:
Fresh lemon juice and smooth apricot jam into a liquid paste according to your own taste (sweet & sour)
Ad garlic to taste
And lastly some healthy oil (it helps to keep a dry game fish a little juicy)

Do not eat your fingers

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I live less then 50 feet from the Atlantic Ocean.. I smell the sea... see the sea.. look at it daily and I cannot stand fish! or any type of sea food for that matter. Every restaurant and cafe her pretty much sells fish the place stinks of it! I love where I live but would so like it better if more people simply ate steak! lol

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

You have to appreciate the skills involved with filleting a fish that size. That knife looks like it could cause some serious damage if it slipped.
Have you ever cut yourself filleting OP ?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
We just had a big pot of steamed mussels this evening. We're recognized regulars at our supermarket fish counter, so they'll tell us when they get things in fresh, and today was mussel day. Nothing better than fresh steamed mussels!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
We just had a big pot of steamed mussels this evening. We're recognized regulars at our supermarket fish counter, so they'll tell us when they get things in fresh, and today was mussel day. Nothing better than fresh steamed mussels!

Do you live near the sea?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Mussels are alive when you get them. That's why we check with the fish counter.

Obviously, pulling them straight would be even better, but we do what we can.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Mussels are alive when you get them. That's why we check with the fish counter.

Obviously, pulling them straight would be even better, but we do what we can.

That makes sense. Alive is fresh, after all.

I remember someone made the remark, “don’t eat crabs. They feed on the dead.”

I replied, “Don’t we all?”
edit on 2|8|18 by Words because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Oh blimey my hands are covered in little scars I cut off a knuckle to the bone filleting a plaice, didn't bleed seeing how cold I was so I just popped the bit of flesh back and wrapped it up with a fish rag, bled like a bugger when my hands got warm though.
My big knife was called Bertha, I bought my own knives and spent the first half an hour of the day sharpening them.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Give em a tap when you buy them if any are open if they close boil them up if not discard them.
Dublin bay prawns anyone had them little bleeders? They used to fight to the death those did.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Oh and if any are closed when you have boiled them throw them out also.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   

So true. Even the raw clams and oysters I love love love are dead when they go in my mouth.
Having lived all my years on the Atlantic coast I grew up on fish.
The stripped bass is my favorite. People rave about the blue claw crab but I think they're too much work for too little payoff. I love oysters. All ways from raw to Rockefeller but my favorite way is just fried.
I do not like sea trout. Not crazy about tilapia but I like cod. Cod fish cakes is a good way to get kids to eat fish and I've found most kids love shrimp or fried clam strips.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

You gotta put em in alive and chew em.
Best way to eat a Oyster

If you swallow them they bind toxins in your gut and you poop em out cos they are alive for a couple of mins in your belly.
But I chew em.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

You gotta put em in alive and chew em.
Best way to eat a Oyster

If you swallow them they bind toxins in your gut and you poop em out cos they are alive for a couple of mins in your belly.
But I chew em.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Yep, and when you are living in the middle of the country, you want as many of them to be alive as possible when you buy them, so we always check when the shipment just came to prevent them having sat on ice a day or three. Last night's lot was pretty spry. I think we only had to throw 4 out.
edit on 3-8-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join