It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New radio telescope picks up mysterious signals from space (repeating)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Fast radio bursts are being picked up by the shiny new telescope. They can be from magnetars (?), exploding black holes and yes advanced civilizations.

The Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME) in British Columbia detected the first-ever FRB at frequencies below 700 MHz on July 25, a signal named FRB 180725A.

As you might guess, FRBs are milliseconds-long bursts of radio emissions that come from some unknown source across the universe. They're one of the newer cosmic mysteries around, having been first detected only about a decade ago. Possible explanations include bursts from magnetars, exploding black holes, and yes, highly advanced alien civilizations.
www.cnet.com...

Additional frequencies have been found and one very powerful signal has been observed repeating.

The announcement also notes that additional FRBs have been found in the past week at frequencies as low as 400 MHz and early indications suggest they aren't coming from known sources on Earth.

So far only one FRB has been observed repeating and researchers say whatever is sending that signal across the universe is stupendously powerful.
www.cnet.com...
edit on 1-8-2018 by atsgrounded because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Fast radio bursts are being picked up by the shiny new telescope. They can be from magnetars (?), exploding black holes and yes advanced civilizations.

Teacher always told me to go with my first thought.
And never second guess myself
Wonderful piece of wisdom
Applies here as well.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The repeating thing gets me. Not that I actually know what it means, but it would stand to reason that it is less likely to be a natural phenomenon. I am no astrophysicist.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: atsgrounded

As you might guess, FRBs are milliseconds-long bursts of radio emissions that come from some unknown source across the universe. They're one of the newer cosmic mysteries around, having been first detected only about a decade ago. Possible explanations include bursts from magnetars, exploding black holes, and yes, highly advanced alien civilizations.

Cosmic WIFI beacons, there's data in those, there, carrier waves ..

We may not be able to interpret it but maybe our planet or solar does. Wouldn't something transmitting in milliseconds have to be intelligently designed ? Pulsars or natural source's intermittency would have to be motion regulated and unless the source was rotating at millisecond speeds then in my mind, it wouldn't be possible to be so rapid. I dunno, just my take on it.

edit on 1-8-2018 by kennyb72 because: hyphen

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

If you have ever used WiFi? There is a "signal repeater" so that the connection does not get dropped... if it fails to repeat then there is information or packet loss of data in the transmission. The band that the signal falls into? Is sort of like saying G rated on a WiFi card/router short for: "G"htz.

So the wave that this signal is traveling in is mentioned and that it is repeating in fast short busts. In WiFi or space transmission of signal data; that means to purposefully dodge or bounce a signal that can get through multiple interferences.

A steady transmission would typically seen as "noise" or a large standing wave; much like what that "microwave background cosmic radiation" gets called instead of anything really seen as important... so it is lumped in as some large phenomena instead of something like discernible communication... for instance; from space... we are very very noisy like the sound of multiple horns at varying intervals could seem like one long horn instead of multiple random ones; the same with sirens... and well other noise... so much so we polluted the AM band and had to go to FM then we have an FM 1, 2, and 3 in reserve in case that got/gets... too noisy.

Of course every sound ever made is still in a wave form either still in the stratosphere; or off into space... our first audio transmissions have reached the nearest two stars.

So what is scary about that? Our history perhaps would be... maybe the same for any of those listening or wanting to make contact too... so lol that could explain "the silence" that others have spoken of... like so much out there and yet pin drop silence. Except well for this post and the old WOW signal... others perhaps thinking maybe they need to get over themselves and their past before real contact. Kinda like trying to go on a "date" or see someone else before you are ready except it is more like a space syndrome or phenomena between M classed life bearing planets.

Anyway thats a theory

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: atsgrounded

The repeating thing gets me. Not that I actually know what it means, but it would stand to reason that it is less likely to be a natural phenomenon. I am no astrophysicist.

Rotating emitters would repeat. Look up 'Pulsar'

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

originally posted by: atsgrounded

Good to know. Possibly, it’d better if you took the nominal time and elucidate us on ‘pulsar’? Probably not, best to prentestiously assert superior knowledge — we’re not here to learn...here to be reminded to “Look up” things. Bang-up job.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Well, in the spirit of giving a darn and since I happen to have seen Cosmos and PBS back before the effort to dumb down the populace was begun in earnest, a pulsar is thought to be a rotating star made of collapsed matter (a nuetron star or maybe a white dwarf) that sends out a beam of incredible energy like a lighthouse.

EDIT: as I stro0lled along the internet, the wine buzz receded and a nagging voice encroached on my smug self ... this following original comment is W R O N G ( So much energy is emitted that we can detect pulsars literally on the other side of the universe) as that is a quasar, not a pulsar, which is not as energetic as a quasar. Okay, back to the original posted comment. End edit.

Geeks agree that they are collapsed stars made of the densest matter but fun people say they are intergalactic beacons set up by ancient civilizations to help navigate.

Either way, cool article and here's hoping we got a winner in the other sentience lottery.

edit on 8/2/2018 by Baddogma because: correction

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Such an old school concept , itś a repeating magnetar produced by and exploding blackhole that ejects darkmatter at near lightspeed with a fully visible spectrum at the rear end.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
FRB121102

The only repeating FRB, as of right now.

In case anyone wanted to know the actual name for the one, mentioned in the article.

FRB121102 is artificial, beyond reasonable doubt.

That fact is not acknowledged by the majority of mainstream astronomers, for now.

The determination of whether or not FRB121102 is artificial in nature, thankfully, is not up to those astronomers.

That determination is up to mathematicians, statisticians, and appropriate researchers.

Astronomers can only describe features of the transmission source. They can neither prove, nor disprove, that the signal is artificially created.

I back my claim, 100%, FRB121102 is an intelligently constructed signal.

Regardless of HOW it was created, (some sort of super polarized neutron star, last I read) the signal itself, has earmarks that are a dead giveaway for intelligence.

It contains a mathematical anomaly, relative to the universal constant "pi"

This anomaly has extremely low chances for occurrence, compounded with the fact that FRB121102 is still, 100% unique, and no FRB has similar qualities, the odds that the mathematical relationship with "pi" being in the ONLY repeating FRB, completely by happenstance, are drastically low.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Hmmm I like!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Wanna hear it?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
Wanna hear it?

As a note, I've already listened to the raw audio conversion.

I also, already know about the Rick roll version of that.

I assume that's your post video?

I'm not sure if you actually believe me, or if you're only offering playful banter.

I'm not alien(haha) to humor, nice job, mate.

In all seriousness though, I am serious about my accusation of intelligent construction for that signal.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Pink Floyd?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I hope there are a lot of focus on this signal from a lot of smart people
And we will discover something amazing, oh and the public will be informed as well if so

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

"It contains a mathematical anomaly, relative to the universal constant "pi" "

OK- how do you know that?

"I've already listened to the raw audio conversion."

How did you, and where can I find a copy of that. I also want to know what the above video is about... Is it the signal, or not?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Wishful thinking

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

I'm the unfortunate bastard, that found the anomaly. (I don't really care about it anymore, I tried to tell people about it for months. No one gave a damn. So I, also, stopped giving a damn about it. Sent it to SETI, sent it to the observatory teams, talked about it on online forums, from reddit to 4chan, even talked about it on ATS before. I posted it on pastebin, youtube, anywhere with an open forum. Sent it to the US Military, sent it to the CIA. I even talked about it on IRC. No one cares. So, neither do I.)

That's how I know, it is in there.

I had to lie, a little bit, to get the proper information.

The fits file from the Greenbank Observatory is publicly available.

I listened to the raw from it.

EDIT: If for some, unknown reason, anyone starts to care, I will describe the anomaly one more time, here.

The center bandwidth frequency from FRB121102, given how massively energetic this signal is, and how polarized, even across 3 billion light years, the center bandwidth frequency value, would not be changed.

I took pi, and raised it to that center bandwidth frequency number's numerical value, as an exponent. On a shot in the dark, "Contact" style analysis.

I got back a fractional number, as a whole it is a prime, and all numbers contained therein, also prime numbers. (Total of 4 primes.)
There was a "00" delimiter, as well as a decimal point in the first resultant number.

On a whim, I moved my decimal place and did the exponent again.

The result was a number that is not prime.

However, that specific non-prime number, has 4 factors, aside from 1 and itself.

All 4 of those factors are prime numbers, each, with at least 11 digits and more.

On the number line, the next number with that characteristic is 1*10^34 numerical values away.

So, can a number like that, manifest completely at random? Yes.
Can it manifest at random, from the ONLY REPEATING RADIO SIGNAL WE'VE EVER SEEN FROM DEEP SPACE WITH THAT MUCH ENERGY?
I don't think so.

The odds are beyond astronomical.

edit on 2-8-2018 by Archivalist because: redundancy sweep

edit on 2-8-2018 by Archivalist because: edited with minor explanation

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The common arguments against my viewpoint:

Why would they use base 10?

I don't know Sherlock, why would we? We used to use base 6 if you look into it. (Not trying to be an ass, I do have three reasons that base 10 should be utilized here, but I don't feel like typing them out at the moment.)

If it can be explained by a massively polarized neutron star, then it isn't artificial.

Seriously? You do realize that a transmitter of sufficiently advanced technological design would be completely unknown to us, and our prejudices in terms of science and observation.

Even so, no one can conclusively say that an advanced race could or could not utilize a polarized neutron star AS their transmitter. No one knows what Kardashev 3+ is capable of, we're not even Kardashev 1, we would be fools to make any speculative conjecture about their capability.

Wouldn't there be more indicators that this signal is artificial?

There are more indicators I haven't gone into.

Here's some more:

In the center of this signal there is a + shape, directly attached to an x shape. Their intensities are completely inverse.
While this would be expected of a highly polar signal, for some reason, I think it's a nice touch, and creates an origin point for the rest of the decoding.

If analyzed with the mindset that the +x combo area is a graphical origin point, there is a fairly clear picture of a sphere baked into this signal.

On the golden record we included with the Voyager space crafts, our first encoded image is a calibration circle.

I believe the spheroid in FRB121102 is a "calibration sphere" taking the same idea, one step further.

We have yet to see any other FRB with characteristics that match FRB121102.
In my personal opinion, if this is some random fluke, or the result of a strictly random natural process, then WE SHOULD SEE MORE THAN ONE FRB with these characteristics.

As of this moment, FRB121102 is alone. No other FRB has these characteristics. So, if it's a "random" natural process, where are the others?
edit on 2-8-2018 by Archivalist because: meh 4 mehnado

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Repeating does not necessarily indicate extraterrestrials. There are a lot of repeating phenomena in nature, the tides, seasons, the 11 year sunspot cycle, etc. We have to attack all the possibilities and the one we can no longer eliminate when all the data is in will most likely be the correct one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join