It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grow-your-own organs could be here within five years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Interesting stuff and with thousands of people waiting for organs it could eliminate long lines. The lab grown organs were quickly accepted by the animals (pigs) and developed blood vessel networks. All good with the pigs at 2 months.

The team at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) showed that lab-grown organs were quickly accepted by the animals, and within just two weeks had developed a network of blood vessels.

But the new experiments showed the lungs were still functioning two months after they were implanted and the animals had 100 per cent oxygen saturation, meaning all their red blood cells were carrying oxygen through the body.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Take your stem cells and grow what you need is the goal. No rejection and no immune suppression.

“Somewhere down the line we may be able to take stem cells from a person and produce and organ that is their organ, tissue matched to them, with no immune suppression needed that would function the way their own lung originally did.”
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Then we have the question of $$$.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: atsgrounded

Always about the $$$$

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

A new liver would be great!
edit on 8/1/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This would be cool, but I always thought we would end up with a system like we saw in the movie Repo Men, where you get organs and if you couldnt make the payments, repo agents come and physically remove it when you are still breathing. Good movie.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

I envision the scene in Minority report with the eye ball change. Back room deals with dangerous people you have to trust to do it on the cheap.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Call Me when they can give Me another half a foot...in Height!!

Although I'm sure I abused My Lungs, Liver and Heart in My Youth.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
My dick is so big it has its own dick.
Thanks Science.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Remove your hands from the key board and take a break.

originally posted by: skunkape23
My dick is so big it has its own dick.
Thanks Science.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Thats nothing, I'm licking My eyebrows...

How much to put the bits in? Thats where "They" will get You...

Hey Doc, can You put this kidney in? Please...

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium
Our robot assistants could do the procedure for us. That'd be neat.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Hopefully we will have free universal healthcare by then so that this will benefit us all and not just the rich.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'm wondering if these organs will work correctly, I question if there was enough testing to make sure the thing was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. You would have to check for excretions in the feces and urine, check the blood, then check the fat cells or check if the skin is actually doing the work of the new liver. An animal could live a while till toxins got too high.

I am skeptical of these results, I think I weill wait another thirty years before getting any organs grown for me, maybe they will be a tenth of the price by then.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Naw I'm good. I want pathologists to open me up and be like "dafuq?!"

edit on 1-8-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Somehow i imagine the religious whackjobs and technophobes might have issue with the technology which may prohibit it being adopted anytime soon.

That being said if it does what it says on the tin im all for it!

My brother required a heart transplant and obviously will require antirejection medication for the rest of his life which is slowly killing him. If they could grow him a new heart, with his own Stem cells rejection would not be an issue.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Having to rent lab space and months or years to grow the body part would be very costly and not affordable by the average pleb.
edit on 1-8-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Could this work for those that have to wear a colostomy bag?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Sounds good I want a new heart to attempt a new recipe I have found.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Maybe a couple of extra brains. You could get a brain in your ass like the dinosaurs.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I hope it works out, I could use a makeover. Lungs, heart, liver have all been beat up. Some call it a life style.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Let's face it through most people cannot even afford sufficient medical insurance in today's world, nor can muster the monies for transplantable organs nevermind be able to afford to grow replacements.

God bless the NHS is what i say, but somehow i imagine you are correct and technology such as this will only be available to a very select few.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join