It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Dead In ICE Detention Center Due To ‘Negligent Care’: Immigration Lawyer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The real question will be what happens next when someone does exploit a weakness. More Border patrol? More ICE? LOL.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

The real question will be what happens next when someone does exploit a weakness. More Border patrol? More ICE? LOL.

Just remember. The TSA is the result of the last time that happened. Maybe we should practice not overreacting to statistical anomalies so much instead of trying to think up every hollywood hole in our infrastructure to patch up? Furthermore, the chief national security threat these days seems to be cyber security anyways. Yet this administration is FAR more worried about making it sound like terrorism from the Mexican border is a threat we should be worried about.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

originally posted by: Wayfarer

Just another story using a child's death to push a political agenda. Nobody would give one **** if Hillary was in office.

This is disingenuously hyperbolic. I don't know any liberal friends/acquaintances who would value Hillary's PR approval ratings over some innocent child...

You are using your hatred of Hillary and those who supported her to justify children dying, which is pretty ugly boyo.

Actually that is exactly what the OP is doing. I didn't create the thread, I just posted a comment on their topic with the harsh truth. If you don't like it then move along. Obama knew about the medical care issues at the detention centers a long time ago, had a few years of holding the majority in Congress and never fixed the issue.

“In 2009, the Obama administration promised major immigration detention reforms, including more centralized oversight and improved health care,” said Clara Long, US researcher at Human Rights Watch. “But these death reviews show that system-wide problems remain, including a failure to prevent or fix substandard medical care that literally kills people.”

Your 'Harsh Truth' is the problem, insomuch as it's tacit acceptance of whats going on, justified (wrongly I may add) by the excuse that Obama started it so therefor allowing it to continue isn't really my/our problem, its his.

Who really cares who started it (and the function of these centers now is quite a bit different than how they functioned under Obama, so that's not really an apples to apples comparison)? At the end of the day, my loyalties to party affiliation are drastically behind my desire for compassionate treatment of human beings (extremely so in the case of children), and I'd like to think your making an argument for debates sake but share my sentiments on the ethical and compassionate treatment of children.

I'm just unpleasantly surprised that there are so many folks out there who can disassociate themselves from such a guttural instinct to protect children.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

A review of the health conditions and how these kids are given care may be in order. Just in case.

I'd say a review would be a must. Even if only to be sure they are doing and did do everything appropriate and necessary. Not presuming anything, there is always room for improvement. It can't hurt to take a look back in hindsight; but it sure can hurt if they don't, and miss important information.

Especially when we're talking about helpless and defenseless children -- through no fault of their own -- who are totally dependent upon those authorities for their everything.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Who really cares who started it (and the function of these centers now is quite a bit different than how they functioned under Obama, so that's not really an apples to apples comparison)? At the end of the day, my loyalties to party affiliation are drastically behind my desire for compassionate treatment of human beings (extremely so in the case of children), and I'd like to think your making an argument for debates sake but share my sentiments on the ethical and compassionate treatment of children.

Good for you and I somewhat share the same opinion, but you replied to a post directed at the OP using this for his own political agenda. I'll even quote the OP to prove it in case you missed it.

How about we don't try to combine two distinct and separate problems into one? That just creates a watered down solution that doesn't adequately address either problem correctly. Right now, this alleged incident is a result of a distinct policy that the Trump administration implemented. The solution lies in addressing that policy. Meanwhile, the issue you brought up is an ingrained and systemic issue that requires careful tweaking of regulatory codes at the state and federal level to fix. The children you bring up are important, but let's not trivialize this other issue by bringing it up.

I'm just unpleasantly surprised that there are so many folks out there who can disassociate themselves from such a guttural instinct to protect children.

I'd like to ask the parents of these children crossing illegally the same exact question.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I'd like to ask the parents of these children crossing illegally the same exact question.

That's why they came to the US illegally in the first place... Statements like you just made make it sound like you have no understanding of the conditions that these people come from.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ntech

No I mean the policy that was implemented on April 6th, 2018. I'm not sure how Obama would have anything to do with that.

Uh no.... 8 U.S. Code 1325 was not passed in April of 2018....

June 27, 1952, ch. 477, title II, ch. 8, § 275

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

That's why they came to the US illegally in the first place... Statements like you just made make it sound like you have no understanding of the conditions that these people come from.

When you’re losing the debate, attack the poster and not the argument...epic fail! We have a process for that called amnesty.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

Don't be coy. It was the policy I mentioned that resulted in the humanitarian conflict and child separation. It's really disgusting the lengths you guys try to go to to attempt to disassociate Trump from anything bad.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

I didn't attack you. I made a judgement about your experiences based on the words you said. Also, the process you are referring to isn't called "amnesty"; it's called refugee status or political asylum and refugees were detained and separated from their children too. Amnesty is something given to law breaker to let them off the hook for breaking the law. It's the thing you guys seem to loath more than any other issue in the country. Letting illegal immigrants off the hook for committing a misdemeanor crime.
edit on 1-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

Like everything else doesn't cost money. So be it. Spend the money to send them back, we sure as hell don't want them living here until they come here LEGALLY on their own merits and not by a smuggler or risking death for asylum like the EU.

They all came from south of the border. Why should anyone give a frak what country it is, let Mexico sort the problem out. It isn't our responsibility to research each person and figure out what country they are from. They go back to the country they crossed from.

Third, we are way past the point of due process.

Asylum is a internationally recognised right.

Here is a fact.

Your country are party responsible for the mess in Mexico.
The CIA, DEA and FBI have been for decade's aggravating the war with the cartels. Did you know the Los zetas was partly founded by the USA? Family's are fleeing the violence YOUR GOVERNMENT helped to create.

The USA basically takes a big giant # in Mexico then complains the Mexicans want to leave?
edit on 1-8-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Don't be coy. It was the policy I mentioned that resulted in the humanitarian conflict and child separation. It's really disgusting the lengths you guys try to go to to attempt to disassociate Trump from anything bad.

It's NOT an administration's policy... It's the freaking law.... Passed in 1952....

I don't own a MAGA hat, I didn't vote for Trump and I don't go to political rallies of either side. But this crap is getting old, pathetic and obviously slanted misinformed propaganda attempt.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Ok so I got the terms mixed up, but the argument still stands. Plus judging someone’s experiences without knowing anything about said person is absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrawlingChaos

It's NOT an administration's policy... It's the freaking law.... Passed in 1952....

Yet from 1952 to April 2018 there hasn't been a humanitarian crisis like this, but after that policy was implemented there was.

I don't own a MAGA hat, I didn't vote for Trump and I don't go to political rallies of either side. But this crap is getting old, pathetic and obviously slanted misinformed propaganda attempt.

I don't #ing care. You are still wrong. Trump's policy caused this humanitarian crisis. Previous Presidents would prioritize ACTUAL criminals and let the non-dangerous ones go only to have them check in with ICE periodically. Pretending like the enforcement of that law was the same from 1952 to now is ridiculously stupid and naive. Unless you are deliberately trying to cover for Trump's and Sessions' terrible policy decisions.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

That's why I said, "It sounds like... " when I said that. When you make it seem like parents are being neglectful of their children to make the trip to the US illegally, you make it seem like you have no understanding of what it is like where they came from or just lack the empathy to care.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Yet from 1952 to April 2018 there hasn't been a humanitarian crisis like this, but after that policy was implemented there was.

Untrue. There wasn't any politically convenient humanitarian crisis, to exploit is what you mean.

Trump's policy caused this humanitarian crisis.

Was Trump or Sessions involved in Government policy & law in 1952 ?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

That's why I said, "It sounds like... " when I said that. When you make it seem like parents are being neglectful of their children to make the trip to the US illegally, you make it seem like you have no understanding of what it is like where they came from or just lack the empathy to care.

That is being neglectful. If I talked my kids into breaking the law and risking their lives it would be considered neglect or endangerment to a child, which is a felony. Then I'd be separated from my children while I served my time in jail and kids most likely sent to foster care.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrawlingChaos

Untrue. There wasn't any politically convenient humanitarian crisis, to exploit is what you mean.

Prove that children of excess of thousands were separated from their parents at the border and then lost in the system when not properly documented pre-2018. Put your money with your mouth is. Stop saying it existed and prove it. I want some documentation. If it happened, then there is a paper trail.

Was Trump or Sessions involved in Government policy & law in 1952 ?

It's like you understand nothing about American civics and how Executive policy changes every 4 to 8 years...

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It's like you understand nothing about American civics and how Executive policy changes every 4 to 8 years...

How quint you attack me, because you're wrong. Color me not surprised....

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

In addition to the possibility of a state-appointed intervention occurring, medical neglect can also result in very serious legal consequences for the parent or guardian. For example, the parent or guardian may face criminal child abuse charges, which may then result in criminal fines and possible jail time.

www.legalmatch.com...

The parents should bring charges.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join