It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant bites back when customer video shows worm in fish

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
I was going to poke over the Yelp comments on this place but people were referencing this report and some of the complaints look like stock complaints. I almost wonder if this was a real issue or one of those "Extortion for good review" things.

I personally know some of the people who posted pictures prior to this incident and the ones they put up lead me to believe this place is a crap hole.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Guyfriday
I was going to poke over the Yelp comments on this place but people were referencing this report and some of the complaints look like stock complaints. I almost wonder if this was a real issue or one of those "Extortion for good review" things.

I personally know some of the people who posted pictures prior to this incident and the ones they put up lead me to believe this place is a crap hole.

Well on the good side of things, then, every city needs a crap-hole place to eat so that people can say; "no, no, not THAT place, I know a good place to eat". Looks like this is just one of THOSE places.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
....I didn't think they were supposed to do this. A restaurant here was once temporarily shut down because they "scraped the worms out and served them".

I like to go deep sea fishing, and afterwards have the fish cleaned and wrapped. If they find worms, they bring it out and show it to you, and ask you if you still want it. You don't.

(ewe, I wonder if they keep the fish, scrap the worms out and sell it to restaurants. I know sometimes when I didn't want a fish (just didn't like it) and one of the deck hands would ask if they could have it (to sell). Hm.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I caught some cod in Alaska and a few fish we caught had some worms. We didn't eat it but given we gut it on the boat and cooked over a flame at a campsite I wouldnt be surprised if a few filets had some.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What we need is a governmental worm "task force" to clean up this ungodly mess.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 31-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Does VINEGAR and TOBASCO sauce consumption kill parasites in your intestines? I consume both frequently.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: olaru12

Does VINEGAR and TOBASCO sauce consumption kill parasites in your intestines? I consume both frequently.

only one way to find out. Go check your covfefe after a big job.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sort of known this can happen with cod..not a huge fan, I prefer Halibut.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I like to cook my fish a little extra to make sure things like that do not happen. It is also good to freeze fish to kill the worms in it. I am fussy where I go for a fish fry and do not like eating sushi or fish not cooked or cured properly.

I have seen worms in fish many times throughout the years, I learned from my father about these and to make sure to cook the worms well. Those worms are in fish from some lakes more often than other lakes. I do not know why that is, we usually avoided fishing in the lakes with worms. Also, when the water gets warm in the summer, worms are more of a problem. I never did research these worms much, I just know when the worms increase and what to do to keep them from hurting us, cook your fish well. Fish for sushi should be froze for a few hours to kill the worms and other microbes. Freezing makes these parasites pop and kills them.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Cod, had to have been frozen but more so halibut and hush puppies.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
....I didn't think they were supposed to do this. A restaurant here was once temporarily shut down because they "scraped the worms out and served them".

I like to go deep sea fishing, and afterwards have the fish cleaned and wrapped. If they find worms, they bring it out and show it to you, and ask you if you still want it. You don't.

(ewe, I wonder if they keep the fish, scrap the worms out and sell it to restaurants. I know sometimes when I didn't want a fish (just didn't like it) and one of the deck hands would ask if they could have it (to sell). Hm.

If you cook the fish well, those worms die. Freezing the fish also kills them. It's strange that they do not tell a person that when they process the fish.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

What is worse? Finding a worm in your cod? Or finding half a worm?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Hey Augustus, I'd like to take this off topic moment to randomly ask you if you ever met or worked with Anthony Bourdain back in the day?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Sort of known this can happen with cod..not a huge fan, I prefer Halibut.

Halibut, bottom feeder...worms. I see worms in the Halibut about 50% of the time, look for orange color and circles, blemishes in white fish. Pretty hard to find fish that are worm free so what you are served will probably of had worms taken out.

Examples of bottom feeding fish species groups are flatfish (halibut, flounder, plaice, sole), eels, cod, haddock, bass, grouper, carp, bream (snapper) ... and some species of catfish and shark.

en.wikipedia.org...

Parasites are in all animals, the problem with eating your own kind is you can get and grow their parasites.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: angeldoll

If you cook the fish well, those worms die. Freezing the fish also kills them. It's strange that they do not tell a person that when they process the fish.

Parasites become a concern when consumers eat raw or lightly preserved fish such as sashimi, sushi, ceviche, and gravlax. When preparing these products, use commercially frozen fish. Alternatively, freeze the fish to an internal temperature of -4°F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present. Home freezers are usually between 0°F and 10°F and may not be cold enough to kill the parasites.

www.seafoodhealthfacts.org...

They don't mention the tumors they find in cows or many other things either. Think burger it is legal to grind those things for burger.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
a reply to: vonclod

Cod, had to have been frozen but more so halibut and hush puppies.

Those corn things grow worms too?

A hushpuppy is a small, savory, deep-fried ball made from cornmeal-based batter. Hushpuppies are frequently served as a side dish with seafood and other deep-fried foods

edit on 1-8-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Yes, I would imagine so, for some reason I think of Cod as more notorious.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

www.bccdc.ca...

Finding a worm in fish is considered a natural occurrence and not a form of contamination. Parasitic worms are described medically as helminths, and divided into 2 broad categories: roundworms (nematodes) and tapeworms (cestodes).

Cleaning fish soon after they are caught will reduce larvae from infecting the flesh. Candling tables (lighted tables) are often used to locate and extract any worms found in the flesh. Unfortunately not all worms can be found when they are embedded in thick fillets.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I can sure believe it, any bottom feeder.
When I lived in Kitimat B.C., we ate so much fresh Halibut, prawns and crab, Salmon out of the river too..I can imagine we got some extra protein now and again.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Zarniwoop
Kind of strange it survived the cooking process.

Forget that. I find it odd that it survived the fishing and packing processes. Almost all cod is processed at plants after being caught at sea where it can be iced for up to a week before it arrives at the port. It then gets cut, placed in a bag and then covered with more ice before the distribtor brings it to the restaurant.

ETA: The place is kinda skeevey, look at some of the Yelp pics. So the worm may be the least of your concerns.

Scientists managed to bring back 44,000 year old worms back to life, so anything is possible.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join