It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Straw

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Okay, I understand the desire to reduce and one day eliminate single use plastics. And I understand that a solution to the straw is to design an adult version of a sippy cup. But why is it that to eliminate one single use plastic (a straw) they are going for answers that use more single use plastics than the straw does.

Can someone help me understand the logic in this?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

if i can pose a question too?

why do we need any sort of device? ive been drinking out of glassware for some years now.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Single use plastic bags have been banned in my state for a couple of years now. Working on styrofoam containers but the takeout restaurants are fighting that.

edit on 7/31/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Okay, I understand the desire to reduce and one day eliminate single use plastics. And I understand that a solution to the straw is to design an adult version of a sippy cup. But why is it that to eliminate one single use plastic (a straw) they are going for answers that use more single use plastics than the straw does.

Can someone help me understand the logic in this?

There is no logic...people just want to be part of a movement and feel opinionated.

I say just start making powdered coffee snuff and do away with cups and all....LOL!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Because the policy is nothing but PR optics for emotional decision makers. Only logical people will see the hypocrisy and those folks wouldn't be their targeted demo imo..

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
What's wrong with going back to bio-degradable, wax coated paper straws?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
I am with you, straws inhibit my capacity to drink swiftly. I got stuff to do, I don't have all day to drink something from a straw.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Whether designed by God, ID or natural selection doing its thing...we've got arms that are hinged at the elbow, wrist and shoulder which almost magically enable us to raise containers to our mouths. I wonder if we dare go back to putting cups to our lips instead of designing new materials to bypass the effort?

It's a crazy idea that's served us pretty well for about 2 million years.

For those that are genetically 'post-elbow' there are metal and paper straws.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Plastic water bottles will/should be next. When I see a giant wave of garbage washing up (in pictures) soooo much of it looks like plastic water bottles.

I recycle mine.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Maybe I need to clarify a bit. I am all for the removal of plastic altogether. Water bottles, soda bottles, bags, etc. And I understand that the straw is being used as symbol and rally point for this movement.

I’m saying the execution is convoluted. It is like banning nickels by making 10 times the pennies.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
They will pry my straw from my cold, dead hands! Don't Tread On My Straw!

You ever try to drink a Malt or a Milkshake without a straw? Silly humans.

Would you take this mans straw...

...I think not!

Paper straws would seem to solve the problem, just like paper bags solve that issue. Isn't it a bit ironic that not so long ago the use of paper was the end all, be all of bad things to do and then we figure out paper is a sustainable resource.

link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

if i can pose a question too?

why do we need any sort of device? ive been drinking out of glassware for some years now.

Grow a damn mustache, enjoy a drink, and then ask that question.

link   

Hey man, I knew what you meant and it looks like others did too.

Let's get past straws instead of going 'Manhattan Project' to build better ones. I agree with you.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Grow a damn mustache, enjoy a drink, and then ask that question.

I'm sure they had facial hair before drinking straws became universally fashionable.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Paper straws suck. A couple of the local nicer restaurants have just gone to them... it's reminiscent of being a kid trying to figure out how to smoke a cigarette without either drenching it in saliva or keeping it dry enough to not cling to your lip... there is no happy medium there since, unlike a smoke, you're actually using a straw to transfer liquid to your mouth... either the straw becomes disgustingly soggy or you drag the bastard out of the glass, stuck to your lip each time you remove the drink from your face.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Plastic water bottles will/should be next. When I see a giant wave of garbage washing up (in pictures) soooo much of it looks like plastic water bottles.

I recycle mine.

What are we supposed to bottle our water with exactly? I don’t recycle because the waste management company believes I should pay them for the privilege.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
How about Refillable mugs for liquids and refillable pots for take out food. It wouldn't be difficult to implement. If food vendors at a hippy festival can pull it off, then a brick and mortar take-out joint should have no problem doing it.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Me also. I'd like to see the old glass bottles back and deposits so you have to return them to be sanitized and then refilled.

We had it right before.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What are we supposed to bottle our water with exactly?

Think juice boxes and boxes of wine.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Have you forgotten how far you can blow those old waxed plastic straws out of their wrappers! The kids man, think of the kids. No child should be denied the straw missiles, especially in the movie theater.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join