It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wages TANK After Trump's Wealthy Tax Cut

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Wow SG. You really triggered the TTDU on this one. I bet if you reworded your OP without the use of any R or D or Trump words, there might be a real discussion on this instead of deflection, denial, strawmen and blamestorming.

There's really an easy way to answer this folks. Ask your peers, coworkers, bosses and friends if THEY have seen any change in wages since December 17. If no, when was the last time they did. Catalog their answers and plot a graph etc based on the datapoints gathered.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

what kind of person advocates for higher taxes?

Low information voters.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

what kind of person advocates for higher taxes?

Low information voters.

Looks like TXrabbit is one advocating more taxes with a similar level of logic as the low level. Well TX, that idea won't work and if you can't tell you should actually do some real research and avoid parroting lies.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

the OP is totally false, none of you have looked into it

taxes do not = higher wages, higher taxes = lower wages

it's completely COMPLETELY stupid to think that the government taking more of your money is going to lead to you having more of your money

I can't even believe this is a topic of conversation, what the hell happened to this country where people are begging for higher taxes pull your heads out of your ass and think for a minute

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Could it be average wages are lower bc more people have new jobs and are at the bottom of the ladder?

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

www.bls.gov...

look, BLS information real economic data the wages aren't dropping they are flat it's a major problem

the government needs to mind it's own damn business, that's the major problem

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

It is apparently true that lower taxes do not = higher wages, which I think is the point of the OP. It didn’t happen when Bush Jr. implemented his tax cut, and it’s not happening now. There is always the promise that if we lower taxes, business owners will use that extra money to pay higher wages. It simply isn’t true.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised. Every other time we've employed trickle down economics it's led to lower wages for the lower class, stagnant wages for the middle class, and a significant increase in wealth for the upper class.

Just the other day I was reading how the average income for a 25-34 year old today is the same as it was in 1978. That's not the same after inflation but the exact same. And for some reason Baby Boomers wonder why Millennials aren't as financially stable as they were. They were making the same amount of money but had significantly more buying power.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

How does everyone get a pay cut, so much so that their income has "TANKED", and it not be everywhere everyone talking about how they took a pay cut instead of got an annual raise?

"TANK" is the word to use, huh, are you suuuure?? They way the depth perspective on that graph is made to make the supposed dip look like a MAJOR difference reminds me of watching Al Gore's hatchetman work in An Inconvenient Truth.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I remember in High school working part time after school at a grocery store. One day I asked for a raise. I got it. When I joined the Air force....I made rank so I could make more money. Does it not work that way now? Do people have to wait for the government to tell mom n pop to give you a raise? That sounds bad.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I know some small business owners that are growing out their companies now as their operating costs are significantly lower due to the tax cuts specifically.

Lowering taxes for everyone is not the issue here, that’s for sure.

I mean, do we really have an electorate who wants to give away more of their earned income to the government? I sure as hell hope not.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

So what is it Bloomberg?

“Average hourly earnings increased 2.7 percent from a year earlier, more than projected, while the jobless rate fell to 3.8 percent from 3.9 percent to match April 2000 as the lowest since 1969.”

And if you aren’t seeing an increase in your take home then your payroll department hasn’t adjusted what they take out tor the new 2018 Tax Rule so you will see more come tax time.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: Alien Abduct

1.8% ?? LoL I gained a hell of a lot more than that through my tax cut. Anyways is there any proof that Trumps tax cuts is the actual cause of the wage drop, or might the wages have dropped anyways?

Thank you for that anecdotal account of yours. One of many to follow I'm sure.

As for proof these tax cuts are the cause? Well we have a (R) President, and (R) congress, we had (R) tax cuts passed last year heavily in favor of the wealthy and record corporate tax cuts. I'm uncertain what else one could attribute this to? Maybe it's those record deficits the administration and congress are predicting? Causing panic and cost cutting among businesses? Whatever it is, those multi-trillion tax cuts don't seem to be doing jack for the working man.

I think we should just raise taxes back up

Who proposed raising taxes?

So, in other words you have no proof that Trump’s tax cuts are the cause.

How do you know wages wouldn’t have dropped anyways?

By the way I’ll tell you the real reason why wages went down. It’s because we have 20 MILLION illegals working in this country for faaaar below what the job would otherwise pay! THAT drives down wages and THAT is a fact!

Oh right I thought Trump was MAGA, you know , income equality, more jobs better economy... How is possible wages aren't going up?

I tell you what, if we get rid of all those illegal immigrants there will be 20 MILLION job openings and THAT ALONE will fix the wage issue because with the lack of workers they would have to offer more money.

What do you propose should be done to fix this wage issue? Hmm? You got a suggestion? I’d like to hear it. Usually all we hear from the left is a bunch of whining but no ideas on how to fix what they are whining about. So let’s hear it what’s your suggestion?

But.. But.. no one wants to sell oranges or cut grass for minimum wage. SOMEONE has to do it. Think of da lawns.. da lawns !!!

Ummm...thus enters...YouSir's robotic lawn and grounds keeping...

We mustn't stand in the way of progress...

Please sir...do not stand in the way of...oops...technical glitches...

We'll have the bugs...(and odd body part)...worked out of this in no time...

YouSir

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is overall average wages. A lot of people are retiring now, those people make way better wages from longlivity and the people replacing them are at the bottom of the scale. It is the massive amount of retiring going on now that is actually causing some of this scale change downward. Look at teachers salaries, those with over twenty years of service make double of what a new teacher makes. Couple that with a change progressing where a lot of federal and state workers are not being replaced because of contractors getting the work and paying employees less overall with less benefits which are also figured into overall wages.

You have to look at the big picture, I have seen this progressing over the last eight years or so and it actually took a jump again recently like it did around 09. You also have to look at bonuses paid and add that into the mix.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

No person posting on ats can possible truly know if wages are getting better for everyone or not.

The only thing we here can do is ask each other the question, " Has your wages increased since the tax cuts?"

Mine have not nor have they changed at all. That's because I am to poor and my tax bracket didn't change.

So please everyone that replays here make sure and tells us if your wages got raised and by how much.

Because the amount matters.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Wife's paychecks have seen very little to no effect. Me- I'm still sucking seawater on disability. The rest of the world could get a 500% increase, and I'd still be barely pulling in $780. But- that's how it is. *grumps*

However- tax time will be the big tell. I am hearing our tax return is going to be slashed and left to bleed out at the knees. From nearly $5000 to something like $200ish. IF we're lucky.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong... but if I'm right- there is going to be untold screaming, gnashing of teeth and swearing when people have a look at their returns.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

No person posting on ats can possible truly know if wages are getting better for everyone or not.

The only thing we here can do is ask each other the question, " Has your wages increased since the tax cuts?"

Mine have not nor have they changed at all. That's because I am to poor and my tax bracket didn't change.

So please everyone that replays here make sure and tells us if your wages got raised and by how much.

Because the amount matters.

I received a $15k increase this year and I gained $300 a month extra when adjusting my pay to the new tax laws.
edit on 29-7-2018 by Throes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
Wife's paychecks have seen very little to no effect. Me- I'm still sucking seawater on disability. The rest of the world could get a 500% increase, and I'd still be barely pulling in $780. But- that's how it is. *grumps*

However- tax time will be the big tell. I am hearing our tax return is going to be slashed and left to bleed out at the knees. From nearly $5000 to something like $200ish. IF we're lucky.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong... but if I'm right- there is going to be untold screaming, gnashing of teeth and swearing when people have a look at their returns.

It’s possible with disability. Often times they don’t take out taxes to help supplement your income but then you notice it come tax time. No tax cut will help that scenario.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Throes

Often times they don’t take out taxes to help supplement your income

Oh- but they do. I get something like a $10 COLA raise- and watch my medical 'insurance' go up $20. INFURIATING.
A) $10 barely buys me a crummy value meal at a burger joint. $10 doesn't cover the bills AT ALL. My check doesn't cover squat- and it's literally gone within 15 minutes after I get it.
B) I get half zip for my medical buck. it took me *years* to figure out on my own I had freaking gluten intolerance, and that was after experimenting and waiting 2+ weeks for it to clear my system. *rants on for hours about medical incompetence*

Edited to add: I don't get a dime tax return wise. I tried.
edit on 29-7-2018 by wylekat because: I forgot my expansive tax return.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
a reply to: Throes

Often times they don’t take out taxes to help supplement your income

Oh- but they do. I get something like a $10 COLA raise- and watch my medical 'insurance' go up $20. INFURIATING.
A) $10 barely buys me a crummy value meal at a burger joint. $10 doesn't cover the bills AT ALL. My check doesn't cover squat- and it's literally gone within 15 minutes after I get it.
B) I get half zip for my medical buck. it took me *years* to figure out on my own I had freaking gluten intolerance, and that was after experimenting and waiting 2+ weeks for it to clear my system. *rants on for hours about medical incompetence*

Edited to add: I don't get a dime tax return wise. I tried.

Interesting. Honestly I don’t know anyone who had a negative effect this year, every single person I know is getting a bigger increase in pay and paying less taxes. I am surrounded by middle class and a couple upper middle class folks tho, so that may be part of it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join