It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How people would react to first contact

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
In answer to the Op's question the answer is this:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Reaction of people at large: "Any new pix of Kim Kardashian's butt?", "What's next on Netflix?", "Need new meds to feel good."

Reaction on ATS: "It is all CGI and a money scam!"

Reaction of ET: "WTF ??!!"
edit on 29-7-2018 by SacredLore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I am still confused about "Arrival." It was not a satisfactory film to me because it didn't follow the typical alien film of fear and violence but more from the perspective of intelligent and thoughtful scientists etc.
I had to see it about three times to take in all the nuances; kept missing for it to make sense to me; guess I am slow.
I do believe first contact was made many, many years ago. However, our modern governments. for whatever reason, have not made full disclosure. Hawking says when we meet aliens it won't be pleasant for us. So, I don't know.
edit on 29-7-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

male or female maybe on the outside.
I mean under their scales/get up or whatever they're wearing.
edit on 29-7-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I would stitch and glue up my bum hole and poo in a bag.

Probe that space gypsies!

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   
With the current generation they won't look up from their mobile phones long enough to notice.

Seriously though, It depends how it goes down. A simple landing with peaceful beings trying to comunicate would cause a stir, but not enough to cause a global meltdown.

People would listen to what the religious leaders have to say as well.

As long as it doesn't affect them, most will just go about their daily business.
edit on Sun, 29 Jul 2018 03:12:49 -0500031872018000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Humanity is still too primitive to deserve any formal first contact with a legit interstellar travelling species. Earth has a better chance of staying ignorant and "alone" or being invaded and its populations decimated by a malevolent alien species that knows nothing else than using violence to achieve its goal of dominance.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'd probably say, "Hey dude, can I borrow your ride?"

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
If a girl looked like a girl then hey, that would be cool with me. lol

You should see RandyTaylor69 then.

Though I still believe she's a legit chick..

lol

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
How people would react to first contact

Same way they reacted to the winner of the last presidential election.

Yes I did.

Not very pretty.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
If you have not seen the 2016 movie Arrival it's really worth watching 2 or 3 times. The plot is kind of weird to get the first time through. But the movie has really grown on me.

One of the things I like about the movie is the way the whole world responds to first contact by extraterrestrials. I think it really is an accurate portrayal of how human beings would react as a group.

Human Beings
Extraterrestrials
First Contact
Freak out?

We already had/have contact and look how the world as a whole has/is reacting to it?

They are here...always were here...and continue to come and go to and from here.

And still. All evidence is ignored. Dont expect the doorbell to ring.

Aren't we all taught to not open our door if it's someone we don't know?

And that's been and will continue to be the case...sadly.

*PS The 90'sish "Arrival" film with Charlie Sheen was pretty spot on

CX

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I like to think I'd give a very British response...cup of tea?

CX.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Man, in his recorded history, has been making contact with 'gods', the God, and all sorts of angels, demons, ghosts,
and other assoreted 'occult' beings.

I have seen *snip* that'd make a marble statue lose bowel control- and maybe I'm to the point of being jaded *that* much, but I've never been able to ascribe occult terms to most of what I've experienced. The ex being a rare exception, because that crap went well past my ability to put in terms I could grasp. I still *suspect* a technological angle, but hell if I could figure out *what*. 15 years, and I exhausted every possible channel of research I could use. Oddly enough, I talked to someone about a month and a half ago who told me to stick a small stone under my pillow, and that'd fix the problem. *It did*. At this point, I gave up trying to figure it out, and well, if it works, it works.

- The hypothesis I'm stating is that in fact they were, and stil are ET beings who believe in the necessity of masking
their true nature because Hmans would not understand them

I think they dropped the ball in at least my case.
However- after hanging out with christians, who could find demons in a toilet bowl, I can appreciate the hysterical, almost toddler-like view of the world around them. Not enjoy it, mind you, but watching them in action for certain things reminded me of small children during a severe storm, and the lights go out. Except, unlike kids, they do not defer to a more intelligent adult for strength. They double down on their 'god' and his mysterious, infuriating, and inexplicably illogical ways. One good nearby lightening strike, and instead of listening to the adult telling to get away from the windows and head for an interior room, they charge outside, screaming to their god to protect them.

*ZOTCH!* "All part of god's mysterious plan" they bemoan as they smolder. They then go to attack the smart person who stayed inside (safe, yet) as an agent of satan...

Too many will never get past the end of their nose and stop trusting in fairy tales. I'd happily leave those types behind to go with a more advanced species, even if I (relatively speaking) came up to about chimp intelligence. I'd at least learn something.

As a side note- I had a grey pop into my room 25 years ago after a massively traumatic nightmare (this is related to that thrice accursed ex). Little grinning bastard was there when I woke up- I screamed bloody murder, and swung at him for all I was worth. He popped back out, I almost slugged myself from the force of the swing. First and last time I had that happen. Before this, I did not have back to back to back paranormal misery- but afterwards- Oy. As time went on, and I read up on these things as they happened- gathering opinions that were worth something, discarding the outright insults- I came to the conclusion that 99.9% of what was going on was ridiculously advanced technology, and that .01%- I was still fumbling in the dark about, because NO info was around for it. How a small piece of rock could disrupt that .01%- I don't get it- but hey, if it works...

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
We know how they would react...they would hide it....as they did.....remember those were PEOPLE WHO HID THINGS.....the real question is WHAT WOULD YOU DO....if YOU had the power to disclose or not....this is critical because you must first empower yourself TO BEIVE before it can happen....what would YOU HAVE DONE....would you have shared the truth or would you have hidden it long enough for your peers to form a status quo opinion that you could have fallen back on to not have to make the hard choice yourself....me...I would have taken the bull by the horns let the chips fall where they may and disclosed fully and immediatly.

People would not miss a beat....most don't care about history....they care about the immediate now and the immediate future and how it will affect them or how they can affect it.....lol....only those who strive for constant learning and truths care.....lol.....disclose fully tomorrow and by the time Christmas rolls around no one will be giving it any thought.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

People would be just fine with first contact aside from the religious nutjobs who sensibilities may be offended.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case?

Large poo's in trousers.

That happens even without aliens coming down from the sky!

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case?

Large poo's in trousers.

That happens even without aliens coming down from the sky!

I have to blame it on something!

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I loved this movie. Especially the language end of it. It is worth seeing more than once

I think I would be breathlessly excited, mixed in with bouts of terror. Also - maybe I'd also feel a little relieved :-)

edit on 7/29/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
"How people would react to first contact"

First thing I'd ask is how long they've lived in Hollywood.
edit on 29-7-2018 by Scrutinizing because: typo

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
I am still confused about "Arrival." It was not a satisfactory film to me because it didn't follow the typical alien film of fear and violence but more from the perspective of intelligent and thoughtful scientists etc.
I had to see it about three times to take in all the nuances; kept missing for it to make sense to me; guess I am slow.
I do believe first contact was made many, many years ago. However, our modern governments. for whatever reason, have not made full disclosure. Hawking says when we meet aliens it won't be pleasant for us. So, I don't know.

The movie is a little confusing on the plot line. The more Dr Louise Banks learns the heptapod language it reorganizes her brain in such a way that she can experience the future in real time even though she has not experienced it yet. So in a future dream she gets information from then General Shange that allows her to save the crisis in the present. It's a little far fetched. It's sort like the way Rupert Sheldrake claims our mind does not solely exist within our brain.

Regardless, that's not why I started the thread. I think the pivotal scene that really gripped me about the way humanity would respond to first contact was when one of the military guys was talking on the phone to his wife. His wife was hysterical with fear. That same military guy was one of the principle people involved in gifting a bomb to the heptapods which resulted in the death of "Constello". I think there's a solid 20% of the population that would just become completely unhinged by such a dramatic change in reality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join