It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Cornish pasties from greggs are the real cause of obesity. So its your fault, guilt by association.

In fact, Cornish Pasties are pretty good for you, especially if eaten with a pint of Tribute or Alfie's Revenge.

Pasties are seriously just feral... I don't think any amount of beer could ever change that fact.

My grandma always used to have them in her freezer... Bloody pomie food!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

From the land whose culinary skills doesn't extend past a vegemite sandwich!

We, really, really need a shaking head in disbelief emoji!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
From the land whose culinary skills doesn't extend past a vegemite sandwich!
Tut tut, you forgot snags and shrimps on the obligatory barbie, come on Freeborn, you watched 'Neighbours' as a kid didn't ya?
Oh 'Prisoner cell block H' taught me that they eat a dish which the convicts refer to as slop, but it was never expanded on so the ingredients of 'slop' are as yet unknown outside of Australia.

EDIT
On-topic (ish), the 'slop' on 'Prisoner cell block H' seemed to be healthy enough, just googled some images from the old TV series and they were all quite slim, even Bea Smith only looked a bit chunky and she was supposed to be the biggest hardest one.
Bring back 'slop' for our obesity crisis, an export opportunity for Australia!
edit on 6-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I was easily distracted at that age and Neighbours had other attractions.

Bizarrely Joe Mangel was by far my favourite character.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: valiant

80g of Protein in six eggs? .... they would have to be #ing Ostrich eggs for that amount lmao

Haha yes! I looked at the 'per 100g' listing on the info label, not 'per egg' my mistake - Decent egg is about 7g of protein.
...can you buy Ostrich eggs? That would be some breakfast feast I'd love to try!

No idea if they sell them here tbh, I've never seen them. You could literally feed a whole family with one of those things though! I wonder if they taste much different?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

The ostrich egg is about 24 chicken eggs. (Volume). But, if you talk about cholesterol, fats etc. one ostrich egg is equavalent to 36 chicken eggs. It is extremely rich in taste, so you have to prepare it as an omelet or scrambled egg by thinning it with water or milk and lots of salt n pepper.
They are pricey though, £30 a piece from a UK farm I found... Ostrich eggs
...not a cheap option for poor people.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Nothing beats duck eggs imo.

30 quid though? Damn, I'd get four ribs of Hereford beef instead

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
I'm with you on duck eggs. There's a smallholding near me sells them £2.50 a dozen, hand painted sign, 'honesty box' on a table by the gate, they are much nicer than supermarket chicken eggs.
Nice to see the birds they come from as well, they are inquisitive things and come flocking over quacking when you approach the gate.
I feel like I'm in 1950's Britain sometimes lol

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Bloody hell, I'll stick to a regular free range egg then I suppose!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
And of course everyone goes off the deep end with low/no carb this, keto that, eliminate sugar and white foods, don't eat processed, blah, blah, blah.

For the purposes of this post, I agree that a well balanced diet doesn't have to be expensive and it certainly doesn't have to be frozen, microwaved or fast, but it has nothing to do with the TYPE of foods they are eating. Weight gain and obesity has everything to do with the AMOUNT. The body craves what you feed it over time. If I live on fried foods, I am going to crave fried foods. However, if I am eating less calories than what I'm burning on a daily basis, like say I'm running a 500 calorie deficit per day, I'm going to lose weight, even eating all fried foods.

For overall health and wellness, eating empty calorie and nutrient depleted foods is not a great idea, then throw on an extra 20-50 lbs over that? Walking nightmare.

Calories in / calories out all day long. Here in the US it's all about portions. People want huge portions for their money and people have forgotten how to stop eating when they begin to feel full, because the food tastes good.

One LB of fat is equal to 3500 calories. Eat 500 calories less a day and in seven days you'll lose one LB of fat. It really is that simple.

Again, obesity has nothing to do with the food. Don't demonize food, demonize people.

Editing to add that not if, but when someone replies with something like "Everyone is different" "A calorie isn't just a calorie" "I have thyroid problems" "I'm diabetic" "It's harder for me to lose weight because of whatever...". Please, just don't.
edit on 9-8-2018 by Skorpiogurl because: Because I'm tired of uneducated people

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SRPrime

originally posted by: purplemer

a reply to: purplemer

I was vegan for a couple of years, then veggie for a decade now omnivorous.
OK I get your argument that all fat people are only fat because of having antibiotics as a child, as I said I'll do some reading about it when the thread dies down, but knock it off now eh, you're just banging on about the same thing.

...and we both know if those kids ate a healthy balanced diet with an energy intake appropriate to their bodies then they wouldn't be fat. Solely blaming antibiotics is lame as # and you know it.

No i am not banging on about the same thing. You asked for the information three times. I provided it (just once) and now you ask me to stop banging on about it. Sorry the science takes precedent over your opionion. I am on topic.

So as the OP why dont you now address the issue of the links I provided and maybe eat a little humble pie.. Dont worry it wont make you obese but it will help with issues of ignorance.

Sorry but, there is no science in what you posted. The fact that it was peer reviewed doesn't mean anti biotics make kids obese, it just verified that 10% of those kids became obese. Correlation didn't equate to causation.

I was fed so many antibiotics as a kid, I was sick weekly until I was around 12 years old and had my tonsils removed. I was always skinny. Today I'm 32, 5'10" and weigh 158 lbs. The heaviest I ever weighed was 180, and it wasn't muscle. When I weighed 180 I was eating mad junk food and not exercising. I caught a glimpse at a picture my friend took and immediately started exercise and cutting back on the junk food and I was trim and lean again in less than a month.

I also had a friend who was fat his whole life from childhood to adult, he decided he didn't want to be fat anymore, changed his diet and started exercising and became incredibly lean and super strong in a matter of 7 weeks.

Obesity is a matter of over intake and under output. It's literally the simplest thing. There are no starving fat people, that's the only science you need in this scenario.

Anti-biotics don't make kids fat. Too much food does.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlexandrosTheGreat
Wish you hadn't given the medical crowd a pass. Sorry but I will rip my hair out if I see one more slob crying, "thyroid this," and, "you don't know that." Oh I forgot the, "I know I have tried EVERY diet and exercise in the universe." Sorry but even with ten thyroids burning all those calories you take in and getting calories from sensible foods WILL result in weight loss every single time. I love how people latch on to cop outs like, "my thyroid," and want the world to believe it doesn't just change their metabolism but it completely eradicates any relationship that food, exercise, and weight have for them.

This!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Well surviving on only £7 a day does present somewhat of a challenge, healthy food or otherwise.

Then there are electricity and gas to consider.

It's whats in our food that makes us fat, and fact of the matter is the organic healthy produce cost more monies.

Wrong. It's not what's in our food that makes us fat. It's the amount of food we eat that makes us fat.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl
Haha! I agreed with all your posts obviously, I chuckled reading it because the fat apologists will be in soon with pitchforks for you!

"They are all victims"
"There are psychological causes"
"Depression"
"Fat shamer"
...strange how in sustained famine conditions you don't find any fat people with thyroid problems. You know, those who defy science by being fat even though they apparently burn more energy than they consume.
Sorcery, I tell thee!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Haha! I agreed with all your posts obviously, I chuckled reading it because the fat apologists will be in soon with pitchforks for you!

"They are all victims"
"There are psychological causes"
"Depression"
"Fat shamer"
...strange how in sustained famine conditions you don't find any fat people with thyroid problems. You know, those who defy science by being fat even though they apparently burn more energy than they consume.
Sorcery, I tell thee!

Yeah, I am waiting for the Keto-Nazi's, low carbers and Paleo's of days past to come at me. I'm good. I have years of education under my belt and a masters to back it up.

But I also understand that with so much bro-science in the nutrition, health and fitness arena, that people just get flooded with so much information they get confused and frustrated, and eventually give up.

The problem with health conditions related to obesity is that they exist because of the obesity. People, and the medical industry prefer to say they can't lose weight because of the medical issue when really they can't eliminate the medical issue because of the weight.

Everyone of my clients begin the same way, "I don't know why I can't lose weight, I exercise, I eat clean, I don't eat carbs, etc." So I ask them how many calories per day they're consuming and they say "I'm not sure but I'm not eating that much, really..." When they do finally give in and just do one single day of weighing, measuring and logging/tracking their calories, they're shocked! If you're guessing on your consumption I can guarantee that what you think is 500 calories is more likely in the range of 1,000-1,200.

It's sad.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Do they not label things clearly in the US?
I routinely check nutrition info when I buy ready made sandwiches for example. My work is physical so if I have to buy some at a store and they are the same price I always check for the most calories per £GBP. I do the same with all pre-packed or processed food, I want the most for my money.

Now, of course I'm looking because I want to sustain my weight, but it would be as natural to me if I was trying to lose weight. The UK government even introduced 'traffic light' circle icons next to things like fat and salt (red-danger, amber-be careful, green-good) for people who struggle to understand the text of the label.
I am of the opinion that the majority of fat people in the UK know that they are eating too much compared to the majority of thin people.
It is sad, I agree, and even sadder is seeing toddler kids fattened up by their parents...I almost consider that abuse by neglect of care.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

There are a ton of educational resources out there promoting information about reading labels and understanding what a serving is.

I tend to buy the same or similar products when I grocery shop but I do try to at least pick a few new things to try over the course of the month. That being said, I still read my labels, even on the product that I buy every week. I don't see many people in the grocery store picking up products to read and compare labels. Most times I see people who yes, are overweight and who look really tired pushing around a cart full of high calorie, high fat, not nutritionally dense foods with their kids asking for everything under the sun. They just want to get in and get out!

I also feel a lot of people look at grocery shopping and cooking like a chore. I try not to grocery cart judge but when I see a cart loaded up with everything under the sun except for even ONE veggie, and they have kids? Well, yeah... that's got to be a form of child abuse for sure!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I 'grocery cart judge' all the time in my mind when I'm out shopping.
Especially when I see what the parents are feeding their obese children, it's tragic.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Well, that would depend on your metabolism.

Plenty of people, myself included, can pretty much eat what they want, and as much of it as they like, yet just not get fat.

It's what we put in our foods that damage our bodies, possibly even genetic code/structure.

Not saying eating copious amounts of the wrong things won't make some people fat, but you can control the quantity a lot easier than whats in the product, especially when your budget is only £7/£10 a day.

edit on 9-8-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join