It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting
PMSL!
Controversial plan but I'm with you on hunting and trying out wolf meat, probably like dog, I've eaten dog before, in Asia.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Tonight I'm making a huge cooking pot of vegetable stew and needed a few ingredients, this was my shop earlier:
400 gramme can of chopped tomatoes - £0.35
750 gramme bag of new potatoes - £0.49
Medium sized Leek - £0.05
5 medium carrots - £0.30
10 Spring Onions - £0.26
One whole Garlic - £0.30
30 gramme jar of hot crushed Chillies - £0.85 (will last me a month or two)
Oh and as a snacking treat I bought a 180 gramme dipping pot of spicy chilli houmous to munch with some sliced baton carrots. That cost £1.20, but as I said, just a treat, I could do without it.

By the way..... you forgot the meat!

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Even that is strange.

I have my tablet right in the kitchen with me while I cook. (a gift from my sister)

I cook every meal that I eat. From scratch.

I am super poor. I only make 17k a year.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Muninn
Dude I'll just refer you to my previous reply to you, fat shaming, absolutely pathetic snowflake...

Oh give it a rest with 'fat shaming' being fat is dangerous to peoples health, it is a national problem costing the health service neddless billions every year.
If being honest about the reasons people are fat and the costs to this nation is 'fat shaming' then I can only think you are the type who has a cry cupboard at home when unable to actually debate a serious social issue.

Lol, you are fat shaming to take away from your own problems, sad.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Fat = unhealthy

And unhealthy is unattractive.

Not to all but to most.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
Lol, the preparation took half an hour, cooking time an hour and a quarter with the occassional stir, washing up involved one big cooking pot, one kitchen knife, wooden spoon and one chopping board.
As I said previously, I'm in labour intensive building work normally but due to recent health issues I've essentially become 'poor' cleaning out my savings due to sporadic days I can work.
When I'm fit and working like a dog I'll eat any crap fast food all day and still not get fat same as you. The body converts it, but try telling that to a 'victim' fat person who takes in more energy than they use.

link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Dude I'll just refer you to my previous reply to you, fat shaming, absolutely pathetic snowflake...

Oh give it a rest with 'fat shaming' being fat is dangerous to peoples health, it is a national problem costing the health service neddless billions every year.
If being honest about the reasons people are fat and the costs to this nation is 'fat shaming' then I can only think you are the type who has a cry cupboard at home when unable to actually debate a serious social issue.

Lol, you are fat shaming to take away from your own problems, sad.

No matter how many times you stomp your foot and yell fat shaming it not going to be true.

link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I see diet as a math and discipline game.

A friend of mine and myself had this conversation about a year ago.

I also see how income could come into play but after our conversation I don't buy it anymore.
There are a lot of healthy foods out there that are cheap,its a matter of wanting to be healthy and doing the work like prepping and cooking food.
Cabbage,broccoli,brussel sprouts,carrots,a bag of lentils or other beans with rice are all cheap.

Some would rather pay $1 for something they can throw in the microwave than buy the ingredients and make 5 times more food and make it go farther.

I could make you the best lentil soup you have ever had for under $2.

Cooking is a skill and thinking about cheap meals and ingredients can be tricky if people aren't willing to take the time.
I love cooking so it is easy for me to live cheap if I had to.....also being cheap and thrifty with money also goes a long way.

A microwave dinner compared to cooking???
That is one of the problems right there.

Its a mindset.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

eat poptarts for breakfast

How can anyone expect their child to succeed if they arn't getting the nutrients and calories that their brain needs....

You get what 6 poptarts in a box for the same price as 12 eggs? 1 egg for breakfast would be better than a poptart.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You got anything on topic to discuss or are you just gonna discuss what you think my motivation in starting this thread is?
I'm interested in any decent on-topic argument but I get it, you think I'm fat-shaming, to continue repeating that will be trolling and I'll just alert the mods if you keep on mate.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Tonight I'm making a huge cooking pot of vegetable stew and needed a few ingredients, this was my shop earlier: 400 gramme can of chopped tomatoes - £0.35 750 gramme bag of new potatoes - £0.49 Medium sized Leek - £0.05 5 medium carrots - £0.30 10 Spring Onions - £0.26 One whole Garlic - £0.30 30 gramme jar of hot crushed Chillies - £0.85 (will last me a month or two) Oh and as a snacking treat I bought a 180 gramme dipping pot of spicy chilli houmous to munch with some sliced baton carrots. That cost £1.20, but as I said, just a treat, I could do without it.

Are you still in Cornwall, or have you moved away? Because if you're still here I'd love to know where you are and where you're getting your shopping. Not a chance in hell of getting all that for that price in Falmouth.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

You got anything on topic to discuss or are you just gonna discuss what you think my motivation in starting this thread is?
I'm interested in any decent on-topic argument but I get it, you think I'm fat-shaming, to continue repeating that will be trolling and I'll just alert the mods if you keep on mate.

And you called me a snowflake.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: blackrabbit1
Star for making me laugh

I don't eat much meat unless I'm really working physically hard. I eat a fair amount of fish though especially this time of year and not being able to work much at the moment, free food from the sea. I gather mussles as well, also free.

I can live without meat and fish though, I was vegan for a couple of years then veggie for over a decade, old habits die hard and today was spicy veggie stew.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

In the US at least, TPTB are still in the low fat/high carbohydrate camp.
They're getting better, but still.

Too many people only pay attention to part of the food pyramid, and either avoid veggies and fruits.....or supersize their portions.
Too many "bad" carbs can and do cause obesity and diabetes/insulin resistance.
Too many sugary drinks.
Poor diet.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Last time I'll ask mate, have you got any on-topic contribution to make to this thread?
All mature reasoned arguments are welcome about the topic, not me or my intentions making the thread.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Exactly.

Weight gain /lose is all about calorie intake and expenditure. Period.

It is physically impossible for a body to gain mass without mass being added from an outside source.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

He isn't shaming anyone.

He is speaking truth, denying ignorance.

It is wrong to baby adults.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I agree that diet is a big factor but I don't think it's entirely down to diet , alcohol consumption and fizzy drinks shoulder some of the blame plus I've also met plenty of overweight wealthy people so it's not necessarily an income problem.

I guess it's a first world problem , over consumption coupled with ease of access (24 hour opening) make for a fat lazy population.

Brexit should solve that.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Also, many people believe all calories are created equally.

Not so.
Fat digests differently than protein...differently than carbohydrates.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Last time I'll ask mate, have you got any on-topic contribution to make to this thread?
All mature reasoned arguments are welcome about the topic, not me or my intentions making the thread.

What happens then?

On topic, I would love to see the actual bill for those groceries.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join