It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Oh come on, I'm talking about the overwhelming majority of regular poor fat people, are you really saying they are all on antibiotics? Really?
Give me a break, or at least a link that this is the main reason for obesity in the UK.
You know it ain't, it's laziness, just it is like acid in your mouth to admit that.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

The only time I feel really well is when I've prepared an actual home cooked meal. The energy even carries over to the next day. But I don't do it that often. Laziness and lack of motivation. *Hangs head in shame*

I make great sandwiches though! *still in shame*
I'm not overweight, in fact I'm thin, but it's the nutrition I lack.

Tacos. I want tacos. And burrito's. And chips and salsa.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Kick them when they are down, classy.

Nonsense. The OP is correct and even provided evidence of how cheap it is to eat healthily in this country.

Are you an obese dole dosser by any chance?

No, I'm 5 11 179 pounds.
I just think fat shaming is immature.

Do you exercise?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

It's the age-old excuse that people who are on welfare, or low incomes, cannot afford a healthy diet. They can only afford to live in MacDonalds, or have takeaway currie

Yes and there is truth to it. I have been plant based for a year now in order to get the nutrients I need my food bill has gone up noticeably. Would be far cheaper to eat a MacDonalds.

By the sound of it you would be suprised how many people cannot cook. I have a friend who works for a charity which regularly teaches people how to cook. Many many people have no idea.

But like the OP enjoy judging something you have no understanding of.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I think even some burgers from time to time are ok.
With a reasonable bun, fresh meat, fresh onions, fresh tomatoes and lettuce. Can´t see anything wrong with that(same for Kebab).

I just don´t add tons of sugar filled ketchup to the burgers, less is often more. And maybe one shouldn´t eat fries and drink coke with it.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

Oh give it a rest with 'fat shaming' being fat is dangerous to peoples health, it is a national problem costing the health service neddless billions every year.
If being honest about the reasons people are fat and the costs to this nation is 'fat shaming' then I can only think you are the type who has a cry cupboard at home when unable to actually debate a serious social issue.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Oh come on, I'm talking about the overwhelming majority of regular poor fat people, are you really saying they are all on antibiotics? Really?
Give me a break, or at least a link that this is the main reason for obesity in the UK.
You know it ain't, it's laziness, just it is like acid in your mouth to admit that.

Now it looks like you have not even bothered to go and look at the information as I suggested. As I said ignorance is far worse than obesity and there is nothing more distastful than those that choose to remain ignorant in the shadow of fact.

If you had bothered doing some research into the issue you would have found out that you do not need to be antibiotics as there effects can last a life time. So many of these people have no choice. You did have a choice and again you choose to remain ignorant.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I think even some burgers from time to time are ok. With a reasonable bun, fresh meat, fresh onions, fresh tomatoes and lettuce. Can´t see anything wrong with that(same for Kebab).

That stuff kills you. But keep the good work.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I wouldn't know. I eat on average, one decent meal a day and the occasional snack.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Kick them when they are down, classy.

Nonsense. The OP is correct and even provided evidence of how cheap it is to eat healthily in this country.

Are you an obese dole dosser by any chance?

No, I'm 5 11 179 pounds.
I just think fat shaming is immature.

Do you exercise?

Yup, I'm in great shape and I still don't feel the need to fat shame, maybe the op can actually do some help in his community instead of coming on here to shame them from the comforts of his chair.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
But like the OP enjoy judging something you have no understanding of.

Behave, I was vegan for a couple of years and lived well cheap. Lots of my mates are vegan and eat perfectly nutritious food cheap, I'm around their homes regularly, and two are single parents on benefits. Benefit rates are national so I think you are just making your argument up because you think I've been mean to fat people.

And as far as unable to cook, google it, you are talking about a very tiny percent of poor people on such prgrammes and you know it, the overwhelming majority are capable of cooking when they search on their smart phone that the majority of poor people have these days. Buy a cook book from a charity shop if they can't.
You need to stop making excuses for fat people and fat people need to take responsiblity for their lives.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Oh just stop.
Talking about the obesity problem that exists today is not fat shaming.
I would say telling a fat person that they look great is much worse for them.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Dude I'll just refer you to my previous reply to you, fat shaming, absolutely pathetic snowflake...

Oh give it a rest with 'fat shaming' being fat is dangerous to peoples health, it is a national problem costing the health service neddless billions every year.
If being honest about the reasons people are fat and the costs to this nation is 'fat shaming' then I can only think you are the type who has a cry cupboard at home when unable to actually debate a serious social issue.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

I think even some burgers from time to time are ok. With a reasonable bun, fresh meat, fresh onions, fresh tomatoes and lettuce. Can´t see anything wrong with that(same for Kebab).

That stuff kills you. But keep the good work.

So two or three burgers once a month would kill me? Good one!
What´s wrong with a good bun, good fresh meat, fresh tomatoes, fresh lettuce, fresh onions, maybe a bit of cheese?

Is it because it´s all in one and not the bread eaten with cheese(as a sandwich), then the meat with sauce and potatoes plus a salad made from the tomatoes, the lettuce and the onions? Would that be more healthy, with the same ingredients?

I don´t get it.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The problem is is that we do not have to run from nasty beasts anymore.
We should get a few hundred thousand wolves and let them free in the UK.
The fat will get eaten or will lose weight running from wolves.
Plus I would have a go at a wolf stew.

link   

Post a #ing link if you are going to make wild claims, I don't believe you.
I've had antibiotics many times in my life, so if you are gonna say that all fat people are victims of antibiotics then share a link to the class or I'll just ignore it as silly psueudo science woo.
You made the claim, you provide the evidence.

link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

We have only ourselves to blame for our weight.

I only spend $100 a month on food .

I count every calorie and add up all the vitamins and minerals to make sure that what I buy is what I need.

If I can be healthy on $100 a month any one can.

People just don't pay attention to what they buy. They don't read labels and they don't add up calories.

It's their own fault .

link   
Poor ability to prioritize spending. I did a piece of work for a local authority looking at food poverty, and trying to find out how much it was an issue. We interviewed 100 families using food banks and looked at their income and spending. We only found 3 families who were genuinely suffering from food poverty (we did help them claim more benefits and help to supplement their income)

Of the remaining group most of them were choosing to spend money on other things that weren't actually essential, things like nights out and finance for holidays and appliances (not essential things like cookers/fridges) Its fine for people to make their own choices, but it was apparent that the availability of food banks was seen as a way of avoiding spending on food, rather than making sure a food budget was a priority as they knew they could go there every week and get £50 of free food.

I think its indicative that many people in the UK think the state is there to provide for them come what may, with no sense of responsibility or need to get off your arse and pay your own way. I do think this is changing, but it will take time to undo the culture of the past 20 years.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Tonight I'm making a huge cooking pot of vegetable stew and needed a few ingredients, this was my shop earlier:
400 gramme can of chopped tomatoes - £0.35
750 gramme bag of new potatoes - £0.49
Medium sized Leek - £0.05
5 medium carrots - £0.30
10 Spring Onions - £0.26
One whole Garlic - £0.30
30 gramme jar of hot crushed Chillies - £0.85 (will last me a month or two)
Oh and as a snacking treat I bought a 180 gramme dipping pot of spicy chilli houmous to munch with some sliced baton carrots. That cost £1.20, but as I said, just a treat, I could do without it.

Seriously, that sounds just horrible... Bloody rabbit food! It also sounds like way to much dishes & cleaning up.

But I got an extremely labour intensive job, so I can basically eat what I want, without worrying about gaining weight. I basically just eat what sounds good and is most convenient at the time.

.. No need to spend 3 hours in the kitchen cooking carrots and cabbage leaves.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join