It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive spike in OD's in Philadelphia, 165 people in 2 days

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

why is it about personal responsibility and not the illicit drug trade?

why do you think you can tell people what to do in their free time voluntarily?

it's your tax dollars that are being used

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
There must be a bad batch out there that is cut with a large (relatively speaking, since it is unbelievably strong) dose of fentanyl. if the addict doesnt anticipate it being in there and doses like normal, they are going to OD immediately......that is why Narcan is so important to get out there in the community.

I was about to opine the same until I saw your post. The thing about Narcan though is that it doesn't have the same effects on OD victims who have purposely or accidentally used heroine that has been laced with fentanyl. Where a usual heroine overdose can be saved with usually one dose of narcan those who have overdosed with the deadly heroine/fentanyl combo require 4-5 doses of narcan- and even then it is often not enough.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
your city should take after mine and demolish whatever housing projects are left and redevelop them into respectable neighborhoods. It is no coincidence that many of the bad neighborhoods are located near the vestiges of antiquated projects to combat poverty from a time where rational thought was not always involved with planning for causes.

The only housing project left in Tampa is Robles Park, and it is significantly more pacified than when I was a child. Hopefully they get rid of it in a few years too now that the gentrification of Old Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights continues at the pace it is going.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

they love building projects in this state, every community has 2 of them. the only reason I live here is because I'm spending boatloads of cash on a degree and saving to move

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: DBCowboy

why is it about personal responsibility and not the illicit drug trade?

why do you think you can tell people what to do in their free time voluntarily?

it's your tax dollars that are being used

Where in the purple #### am I telling anyone to DO anything?

If people want to do something to themselves that does not infringe upon the rights of any other individual, then they should have that right.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
There must be a bad batch out there that is cut with a large (relatively speaking, since it is unbelievably strong) dose of fentanyl. if the addict doesnt anticipate it being in there and doses like normal, they are going to OD immediately......that is why Narcan is so important to get out there in the community.

I was about to opine the same until I saw your post. The thing about Narcan though is that it doesn't have the same effects on OD victims who have purposely or accidentally used heroine that has been laced with fentanyl. Where a usual heroine overdose can be saved with usually one dose of narcan those who have overdosed with the deadly heroine/fentanyl combo require 4-5 doses of narcan- and even then it is often not enough.

yes, Narcan doesnt work as quickly on fentanyl ODs due to how powerful it is, and each nasal kit only has 2 doses unfortunately
edit on pm77201818America/Chicago27p09pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

Philly is a cool city but most of it is a s***hole

I have lived outside Philly and work literally in as middle center City Philly as you can get for the past 6 years.
LIke any major city there are good neighborhoods and their are bad neighborhoods.

I notice how in your opening you fail to list the people ultimately to blame for drugs and that is those who actually take the drugs. Im a firm believer that people are responsible for their actions and if you make the choice to use an illegal drug then be prepared to handle the consequences of your choice.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

my point is that their personal choices are none of our business

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You have the God given right:

To kill yourself at any time.

Carry on...

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
we would be happy to have you here in Florida, and there is much opportunity in many industries here for your career path. Always less than an hour drive from a beach no matter where in the state you are. It only gets below 50 for like a combined total of like fifteen days, usually in January and February.

Plus, Wawa is expanding like mad very successfully here in Florida, so you will have a nice vestige of PA everywhere you go. Boy do we sure love Wawa in Florida.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I would bet most of these ODs are a result of synthetics like Fentanyl, you can thank China.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
ahhh true. I hear this is also a big problem in Richmond and Baltimore, Cincinnati, and such.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I rememver when Wawa was like four stores where I grew up.

I'm from Florida. I'm moving wherever I find a junior network admin job at. Changing careers and locations in 1 shot.

Gotta grow big balls to make those changes.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

Philly is a cool city but most of it is a s***hole

I live in near Phlilly and this is a true statement. It’s a bigger s***hole than people think. Illegal drugs are rampant.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

To he honest most inner cities are #holes now

Downtown San Diego and Chicago are still pretty nice though.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

This is a direct result of the illegal drug trade. Cartels, gangs and police officers are handling our addicted populations and not doctor's and the medical community.

Source

He was one of 165 people who landed in Philadelphia hospitals over two days last weekend for opioid-related overdoses, more than twice as many as usual. According to the city Department of Public Health, the overdose cluster included about 10 deaths, which was in line with the typical rate in the city.

First off, this is more than an accident. This is an attack and should be viewed as such. Secondly, where I live (near Philly) nobody would even notice because OD's are just a daily occurrence. They are literally happening by the hour. I am in a FB group that follows crime in my area to stay up on what's happening due to the high volume of crime here. Can't wait to move in a few months.

Back to my original point. This is a direct result of the insane Drug War. The largest failure in policy in American history. In 200 years people (if they still exist) will look back at this as a total disaster and probably one of the largest disasters in American history.

Yeah..bad batch of heroin/fentanal going round.

Every addict is trying to get their hands on it.

One said supposedly "Wow man! I gotta get some of THAT! Think how BUZZED I'd get! We gotta find some!"

When people od or die from way strong crap...they all wanna try it.

Welcome to my everyday world of 911/EMT/EMS.

Crazy.Every-day crazy.

EMT

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sounds like some dealer unloaded a bad batch of something.

ETA: Never mind, I see this is already being discussed. (Read all the responses in the thread first, KansasGirl!)
edit on 27-7-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
But Trump...

Funny you should say that, I would bet that if he were given free reign he would try to fix the problem. How many other politicians would even try?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Sounds like someone laced the local supply with fentanyl, or too much fentanyl.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think its veing done on purpose..

It needs to be reported on as an attack

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join