It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: Tariffs are stupid, let’s deal @EU

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Bad for everyone who relied on the POTUS and for example opened up an old steel mill or something
But this trade is Fair Trade, therefore the real deal.

Aren‘t we all grateful for this stable mind?

Edit: Sorry, here is the link to Trumps Tweet. Mobile formatting sucks!
edit on 25 7 2018 by ManFromEurope because: urgh, mobile formatting..

edit on 25 7 2018 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

Bad for everyone who relied on the POTUS and for example opened up an old steel mill or something

What Americans don't know is that the Pres is telling the world, hey, fair trade is good for everyone, but the people think that fair trade is bad since it will raise prices, in most cases no. Remember when America got its pineapples from Hawaii, well free trade killed that business, when was the last time you saw Dole pineapple from Hawaii.
Your politicians sold out the American public for their increase in their bank accounts.
Don't want to accept that, that's cool with me, just don't buy sugar downed water honey from China or its peanuts.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

" when was the last time you saw Dole pineapple from Hawaii. "

Unfortunately it was the last time I was in Hawaii.

And YES politicians sold out the American public to further stuff their deep pockets.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JFA13
a reply to: musicismagic

" when was the last time you saw Dole pineapple from Hawaii. "

Unfortunately it was the last time I was in Hawaii.

And YES politicians sold out the American public to further stuff their deep pockets.

Must have been in 94 I believe.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Welcome to the new American diplomacy by the “orange psycho in the office”. Twitter it away and don’t bother who read it!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

What Americans don't know is that the Pres is telling the world, hey, fair trade is good for everyone, but the people think that fair trade is bad since it will raise prices, in most cases no. Remember when America got its pineapples from Hawaii, well free trade killed that business, when was the last time you saw Dole pineapple from Hawaii.
Your politicians sold out the American public for their increase in their bank accounts.
Don't want to accept that, that's cool with me, just don't buy sugar downed water honey from China or its peanuts.

No, you sell out your own nationality produced products and producers by buying cheaply produced products made in other countries.

You know damn well 95% of shoppers presented with two otherwise comparable pineapples will buy the one that's half the price of the other, regardless where it is produced. And who can blame them? With money saved, they can afford to buy more cheaply produced Chinese products in order to live a more comfortable life.
edit on 25-7-2018 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Mark Levin was talking about these tariffs yesterday, even he said they will screw the American People. I don't like Levin, but I was surprised at how against he was on trump and the tariffs. He went on an anti tariff rampage.

As I said when trump first taked about them. Tariffs, will lead to a recession and could lead to a depression. I did not vote for trump because, he has no idea how to run a COUNTRY.

Look at what tariffs lead to in the past, and then tell me they are a good idea!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The EU has had big time tariffs on US grain since the 1970s. In fact, it looked then like it was the EU's raison d'etre, so to speak.

How come it's great when they do it, but dastardly and evil when the US does?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

It's about time a president looked out for his own country,rather then his bank account,only way to strengthen the US is to bring back individual's running buisness's rather then corporations,this country has been sold out for years,we need to stay out of other country's,let them run their own way

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

Look at what tariffs have done for the U.S. in the past. They lead to recessions, and added to the length of The Great Depression. That is a FACT...

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Negotiations on trade deals. Why is that bad?
The US has a 146 billion trade deficit with the EU and they're perfectly happy screwing us blind. Start to level the playing field and the whining begins!!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

No, you sell out your own nationality produced products and producers by buying cheaply produced products made in other countries.

You know damn well 95% of shoppers presented with two otherwise comparable pineapples will buy the one that's half the price of the other, regardless where it is produced. And who can blame them? With money saved, they can afford to buy more cheaply produced Chinese products in order to live a more comfortable life.

Quality over Quantity!

Not only that... With goods made in the USA:
- You're supporting local industry, not filling foreign communist, child labor, war threatening countries....
- The goods you're buying that is made in the US is likely higher quality. Food is safer because we kick the $#!^ out of companies in the US that poison us. (Except Monsato) You're not taking a chance by buying stuff that's lead toxic.

Those against the trade war for some reason believe that the US can not support itself!

Those commenting outside the US... Yeah you have no clue. It's like Americans dictating Brexit is a good or bad thing.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Quality over Quantity!

- You're supporting local industry, not filling foreign communist, child labor, war threatening countries....
- The goods you're buying that is made in the US is likely higher quality. Food is safer because we kick the $#!^ out of companies in the US that poison us. (Except Monsato) You're not taking a chance by buying stuff that's lead toxic.

Those against the trade war for some reason believe that the US can not support itself!

Those commenting outside the US... Yeah you have no clue. It's like Americans dictating Brexit is a good or bad thing.

I agree with all of that, except what you pointed out yourself. Monsanto. Sickening how they have better government protection than your own citizens. Get lobby groups to stuff enough pockets and anything is possible in the US!

But yeah, you are ignoring my main point. Your own citizens would rather pay half price for non nationality produced products. Until you change that mindset, bringing manufacturing back isn't going to happen. Instead, you need your president to take away your freedom of choice.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Need to get more popcorn, just love the way libtards react!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

That's the whole point. Trump has already tried to negotiate with the EU to get their trade barriers dropped.

global.handelsblatt.com...

“The paradox of the ‘new’ American trade policy is that it wants to act with the instruments of the ‘old world’ in the ‘new world,’” Mr. Felbermayr writes in the new ifo study. But the EU is not without blame here either: In fact it wasn’t even Mr. Trump who first broke off negotiations over a US-EU free trade deal known as the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), the German economist noted. It was actually the EU that put the unpopular talks “on ice” ahead of elections in France and Germany.

The EU didn't want to talk. Why should they? They have trade restrictions that help their economy at the expense of the American economy. So Trump decided to make them talk. A trade war is bad for everyone (someone even mentioned Mark Levin above, and he's right), but it is especially bad for those who are most dependent on foreign trade. That's countries who do not produce much... like we were a few short months ago. Now our manufacturing base is strengthening, and Trump apparently thinks it is strong enough to withstand a little hardball. We'll see if he's right on that... maybe.

I say maybe because Trump doesn't want tariffs... he wants free trade. But if the other countries don't want to talk, well, then the only reasonable course of action is to do as they do and at least level the playing field. I don't think the EU wants a trade war either... neither does China. So, let's look at the tweet...

The European Union is coming to Washington tomorrow to negotiate a deal on Trade. I have an idea for them. Both the U.S. and the E.U. drop all Tariffs, Barriers and Subsidies!

Just another negotiating tactic... too bad so many can't understand how negotiation works.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

Mark Levin was talking about these tariffs yesterday, even he said they will screw the American People. I don't like Levin, but I was surprised at how against he was on trump and the tariffs. He went on an anti tariff rampage.

As I said when trump first taked about them. Tariffs, will lead to a recession and could lead to a depression. I did not vote for trump because, he has no idea how to run a COUNTRY.

Look at what tariffs lead to in the past, and then tell me they are a good idea!

Other countries are punching us in the face.

Should we just sit around and get the crap beat out of us with bad trade deals which send almost a trillion US dollars to foreign countries?

If you buy $100 a month from me and I only buy $50 a month from you, how long before you run out of money? Do you want to be the piggy bank that supports me or would you rather have fair and equitable trade?

This is basic math. We are getting screwed everywhere. No manufacturing jobs in the US and a trillion dollars leaving the country. Does this make any sense to you?

edit on 25-7-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
The EU has had big time tariffs on US grain since the 1970s. In fact, it looked then like it was the EU's raison d'etre, so to speak.

How come it's great when they do it, but dastardly and evil when the US does?

Because TDS supported by "Fake News"

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Your own citizens would rather pay half price for non nationality produced products.

It's not as much "would rather pay" as it is "cannot pay more." That's one reinforcing side effect of losing the economic base... the resulting lack of jobs leads to lower wages which leads to people having to cut back on spending. If I need something and I get to choose between a US made product of better quality that costs $20 and a foreign-made product that costs $5, and the difference means whether or not I can buy groceries for tomorrow, I'm going for the $5 price no matter how badly I want the $20 model.

That makes it harder for US companies to stay in business and results in even fewer jobs and lower wages. That results in less money to spend on US goods. Ad infinitum, until we get to where we were before Trump got in office... and it could have gotten worse. We were heading for third-world country, starving population status. We still may be; how much long term good Trump can do with all the inherent problems from the past 40 years remains to be seen.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Quality over Quantity!

I agree with all of that, except what you pointed out yourself. Monsanto. Sickening how they have better government protection than your own citizens. Get lobby groups to stuff enough pockets and anything is possible in the US!

But yeah, you are ignoring my main point. Your own citizens would rather pay half price for non nationality produced products. Until you change that mindset, bringing manufacturing back isn't going to happen. Instead, you need your president to take away your freedom of choice.

I do get what you're saying and I do also agree people will generally forget about their health to save more money. Though, I do feel that in the long run, it'll pay off. I do believe that manufacturers and farmers will fill the voids, given time. Prices will go up and businesses will find it profitable. At some point in time, the prices will level out once more and more manufacture bulk, thus prices get cheaper. It's really the same thing as goods on a worldwide scale but crunched down to a local scale. I do believe it'll get tougher before it gets easier but easier will come once the vacuums are slowly filled. Once countries start seeing this, they will change their tune and try to re-bargain. If they don't, I still rather buy goods that will fill the pockets of Americans than shady practices of foreign countries. American companies will compete with each other and that cheaper version of goods you're referring to will happen, giving people a choice once more.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

So when you shop, you specifically look for a 'Made in America' tag, or you don't buy it?

If you see a product at a third the price, but is made in China, you pass it up in favor of the more expensive, locally produced product?

If so, you are one of the good ones. I suspect 90% of the 'patriots' here arguing how you need to 'bring manufacturing back' would simply buy the cheaper product.

It's easy to sit at a computer and make your point, but something entirely different when your hard earned money is on the line.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join