It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico's Lopez Obrador floats idea of new relationship in letter to Trump

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The old paradigm is on the ropes---make no mistake about it. I know it’s sometimes hard to tell since they control the media and, with it, a disturbing number of folk who are susceptible to their propaganda. It’s a big fight, a title match no less, so I hope "we the people" can finish them off.

Be Encouraged: The silent (and not so silent) majority is growing beyond the significant lead it started with and it’s even becoming a worldwide trend.

Trump—as unlikely a hero protagonist as there ever was—has been the ball peen hammer smashing a hole possibly large enough for the whole silent majority to wriggle through and storm the castle so to speak.

I don’t know how anyone who has studied the history of the cold war and the genesis of a horrible foreign policy—imagineered by think tanks and their globalist shills—can fail to see the favorable possibilities of opening a real dialogue with Russia and looking for areas to cooperate. We haven’t seen a POTUS thinking like that since JFK.

No matter how we feel personally, however, it’s interesting to see how the world stage is being shaped by the shaking up of the globalist paradigm. Leaders are starting to follow suit and think outside of the box that has been shaped for us by sociopaths and other assorted undesirables.

While there are numerous examples around the world, here’s one that I find very interesting. :

Mexico City (AFP) - Mexico's incoming president on Sunday said he had floated the idea of a new relationship between the neighboring countries in a letter to US President Donald Trump.

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said he sent Trump proposals on bilateral relations -- which have reached one of their lowest points in decades -- in the areas of migration, public safety and trade.

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador

The incoming Presidente seems to comprehend the possibilities in thinking outside the box with new ways to tackle old problems:

"It encourages me that we both know how to keep our pledges, and we have faced adversity successfully, we've managed to put our voters and citizens at the center, displace the establishment or the predominant regime," Lopez Obrador wrote.

While noting that he is awaiting Trump's response, Lopez Obrador published the letter "so that all Mexicans know our position on the new relationship we want" with the United States.

The incoming president said Mexico wants a relationship of "respect, friendship and focused on development cooperation," and said that the more developed Mexico is, the fewer people will have to leave their country in search of work.

Dialogue and Diplomacy can go a long ways and I’m encouraged that there’s a new and growing willingness on the world stage. President Trump—our unlikely protagonist—is making an impact that transcends party politics. His base is growing because of it.

If you have yet to, but are feeling the pull and starting to shed the propaganda, then I encourage you to #justwalkaway

Mexico's Lopez Obrador floats idea of new relationship in letter to Trump
edit on 23-7-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's a start... and hopefully the start of something good for both nations.

link   
I like what i am seeing here.....

link   
a reply to: The GUT

I saw it coming. Lopez Obrador seems to understand that Trump/USA is the only way out of the Mexican crisis. Both sides win. Democrats won't like it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Good to hear.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I saw it coming. Lopez Obrador seems to understand that Trump/USA is the only way out of the Mexican crisis. Both sides win. Democrats won't like it.

I've wondered why we don't open the Mexican labor market up for access to cheap labor. We used to, and it worked out well for everyone.

I also would like to see a worker visa program that is actually useful put in place. I've tried to sponsor work visas, and its more trouble than its worth to even get your foot in the program.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Trueman

I've wondered why we don't open the Mexican labor market up for access to cheap labor. We used to, and it worked out well for everyone.

I also would like to see a worker visa program that is actually useful put in place. I've tried to sponsor work visas, and its more trouble than its worth to even get your foot in the program.

I guess first thing is stop illegal immigration. We can't reward people breaking the law. Lopez Obrador already knows that.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Its a good start, If trump really wants to spin the democrats up go have a sit down with the new guy and just bat ideas around, don't try to make anything concrete just see what sort of common ground you can find.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
FYI there is such thing as a "Mexican Deep State" PEJE" (amlo) even mentioned in campaign he wanted to separate the economic power from the political power, don't think it will be an easy ride just look up Donaldo Colosio....

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Maybe they can sit down in private for 2 hours and brainstorm some good ideas. Nah! What was I thinking!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Maybe they can sit down in private for 2 hours and brainstorm some good ideas. Nah! What was I thinking!!!

If you want to get around your deep state 'advisors' that's pretty much how you have to do it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It's great that we're having real conversations with other countries now, even if they're rocky ones like with NATO, rather than just the same meaningless platitudes over and over that get us nowhere.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well this is going to have huge consequences, for sure, if it goes through. From the letter:

An economic and commercial corridor will also be created in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. This project involves taking advantage of the strategic location of this strip of the national territory to unite the Pacific with the Atlantic and, thereby, facilitate the transport of goods between the countries of Asia and the east coast of the United States. It is a 300-kilometer corridor, where a railway line will be built to transport containers.

So he wants to compete with the Panama canal? I have no idea how viable this is. Certainly he's thinking outside the box. But I'm skeptical, seems like corporations would already be doing this if it was profitable.

Likewise, we will promote development along the three thousand one hundred and eighty-five kilometers of border with the United States, and there a free trade zone will be created to promote investment, productive and technological development, as well as the creation of jobs. This will be the last curtain to retain workers in our territory.

Tehuantepec will also be a free trade zone. Two great free trade zones will be created in Mexico:

Mexican customs will travel to the south, inland, from twenty to thirty kilometers from the dividing line; in the free trade zone, the Income Tax (IT) will be reduced to 20 percent; the Value Added Tax (VAT) will be 8 percent on average, half of what is currently charged. Specifically, in the border cities of Mexico the same tax rate will apply as in the US side; that is, in California, they charge 8.5 percent, in Arizona, 8.2; in New Mexico, 7.5; and on the border with Texas, 8.2 percent; Special Taxes on Production and Services (STPS) will be reduced to establish rates and prices for gasoline, diesel, and electricity equal Andrés Manuel López Obrador 5 to those of the United States; on January 1st, 2019, in the entire free trade zone of the border area, the minimum wage will be increased to at least double the amount stipulated at present.

He says he'll reduce taxes and make huge investments in infrastructure, health, energy, everything. Maybe that is possible, if he could end corruption.

This border zone in particular will be showered in tax money, for drainage and housing and sports and cultural spaces. That part sounds problematic, I don't know if the rest of the country will be happy with this.

Essentially, in the short term, he's saying he'll make the immigrants want to stay in this free trade zone, because there will be jobs and everything will be much nicer. Two big motivators for immigration! And I think part of the jobs occupied by illegal immigrants in the US would shift down to the zone, if Obrador's plan is successful. I don't know how many jobs though. A lot of them can't be moved, such as construction jobs.

we are going to plant a million hectares of fruit and timber trees in the southeast of the country, both for the purpose of ecological restoration and to create four hundred thousand jobs.

I don't think this will help the economy. But those free trade zones might possibly do some good.

I'm just criticizing Obrador's domestic policies here, mind you. I think it's great that he wants to work with Trump. I'm especially happy that he acknowledges how illegal immigration is a problem, he doesn't just grand-stand like the current president. However, there is still the issue of payment for the wall. It'll be hard for Trump to let that go.

Lastly, he wants to create some sort of development fund of US and Central American countries:

I share with you that my government is willing to present to the Congress
of the Union the bill and appropriation proposal to contribute with our
economic resources and experience in this joint effort. If the United States
and Mexico participate in this plan, and we include the Central American
countries, each one contributing according to the size of its economy, we
could gather a considerable amount of resources for the development of the
region, which would be allocated 75 percent to finance projects to create
jobs and fight poverty, and the remaining 25 percent, to border control and
security. In this way, I reiterate, we would be addressing the causes that
originate the migration phenomenon.

Gee, I wonder which country would end up being net payer in this project? And where would these jobs be created?

They'd also share the costs of the wall then, or the costs of border control at least. This could be seen as a concession by Obrador, but I don't see Trump wanting the other aspects of this deal, or even accepting just a partial payment for the wall.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cutepants

They'd also share the costs of the wall then, or the costs of border control at least. This could be seen as a concession by Obrador, but I don't see Trump wanting the other aspects of this deal, or even accepting just a partial payment for the wall.

That was a well considered post.
I'm thinking that the letter serves a couple of purposes with the start of a dialogue being the main one. Obrador might also be hoping to glean some good ideas from Trump via whatever might be suggested in return. Trump is enjoying a good reputation for kickstarting economies thus far. I'm sure that hasn't escaped Obrador being the new guy coming in to his own economic realities.

They are both savvy enough to know that if any agreements are finally realized it will be a much different proposition than the starting point. I think this has the possibility to generate some great ideas if talks develop and the two choose cooperation.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I can only hope Trump is able to forage new relationships with other nations so rather than looking for a fight, we can look for ways to improve both places. Who knew that dialog was a good idea? I mean, as long as it's not with those damn Russians. (They can make some rough memes)
edit on 23-7-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Just reading what he has said on the surface, I can agree with points he has made.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

originally posted by: Cutepants

They are both savvy enough to know that if any agreements are finally realized it will be a much different proposition than the starting point. I think this has the possibility to generate some great ideas if talks develop and the two choose cooperation.

This is the part the media just ignores. They like to pretend proposals are finished deals so they can distract their useful idiots. Like after the Kim Jong Un meeting where they were acting like we signed a #ing treaty and complaining that it wasn't specific enough.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
It's a start... and hopefully the start of something good for both nations.

Not if you are a liberal. We absolutely cannot have good relationships with any country if Trump has a hand in it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
so wait would this be building a new canal in mexico? or would the focus be on new rail lines and free trade? most of this goes over my head

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
so wait would this be building a new canal in mexico? or would the focus be on new rail lines and free trade? most of this goes over my head

Reads to me like he wants to do it as a rail line. Would probably be much cheaper to build than a canal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join