It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Haha I know! I have a zipped cover case for it but still get the odd look off people because it is so obviously a crossbow.
Maybe it's because unless in the eye to the brain an airgun is unlikely to kill but my bow so obviously can kill.
At 20 foot range it'll shoot a bolt through both sides of old lathe and plaster walls. The bolts stick out the other side, and I've got one so the fletchings are in the cavity but I've never got one all the way through - they are made of plastic on my bolts and quite tough.

I'd love to learn archery. There's a club within walking distance and I was watching them the other day in the sun.
Some of them would have been well safe in times of castles and kings.

EDIT
I work in building/construction so when a new job is involving ripping an old place out I draw a target on a wall and have a laugh with the lads.
That's how I know how it goes through lathe and plaster lol
edit on 23-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy
Jesus Cornish, are you going into business? First you open a banter pub now you open a banter cafe. Is this for the non alcoholics?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Hahaha no!
The banter pub was shut down by the feds because I couldn't get an alcohol licence. A cafe is fine because patrons can bring their own bottle so long as they buy food.
You got any tunes for the jukebox, just reply the artist/track if you like and I'll embed it. I've read your posts over the years and we mostly agree in a lot of things, but listening to someone else's music is always interesting.
Now, can I get you an iced coffee or some other non alcoholic drink in this hot weather?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Must be the movies. Crossbows make people think of murder and air rifles/shotguns (covered) barely get a glance. Then again a bearded Asian gent would cause a panic with any of them lol.

I've had one go at archery and thought it'd be a piece of ****. Harder than it looks. I was ready for the victory dance before I even picked up the bow. Missed the target first time.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Sorry no drink as my granddaughter is in Turkey and I've been informed my present is Turkish Apple tea bags. These I HAVE TO drink or else. My music??? WEEELL for years a track I really liked I suddenly got about a year ago "Venus in Furs" by Velvet Underground. It doesn't reflect on my orientation just a good song. Then I heard an old recording (well fairly old) that was very emotional for me "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed. Otherwise anything from the late sixties early seventies and odd ones since.
Go on then I'll have a pot of tea.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Wow, that's a powerful version of 'Sounds of silence', never heard it before.
I've chosen "Venus in Furs" by Velvet Underground for the jukebox this is full on 60's psychadelica sound, I love it!

Breakfast, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Green or Camomile? We've got the lot...gonna have a brew myself listening to this trippy track.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Earl Grey, but with milk. Or cream. Sorry I meant Cream on the jukebox.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Coming up...I like Earl Grey 'black' just hot water.

You enjoying this hot weather? been in the sea?

My son plays first team rugby for our town and their training is on the beach now. Balls kicked into the sea and fastest to run/swim out to get it, coned off half a pitch sized on the sand and touch rugby games, good fun watching them.
They had a load of women watching them last week shouting things like "Go on lads, this is what we want to see at the beach!" because they are only wearing their shorts and they're fit big lads lol

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Earl Grey, but with milk. Or cream. Sorry I meant Cream on the jukebox.

Earl Grey with milk you minger?! Urgh.

Green tea or jasmine green tea (no milk) is a great drink. I cut right back on normal tea (with milk) after reading about it being very acidic or alkaline. It tastes bloody great now it's a couple of times a week...and the morning after a heavy one with the bacon and eggs

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

'Minger' haha!

When I'm working, that cup of tea midday is lifeblood, nothing would be built in Britain if tea was banned.
The worst one is working on someone's house and they don't offer a brew.
I'll be honest (and all my mates are the same) if there is no offer of a brew then the job is adequate, but if fed with bacon sandwiches and cups of tea then you get top quality work.
I'm surprised some people don't realise that lol

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The worst one is working on someone's house and they don't offer a brew.

Nah, worst is when they make bad brews. The milk is funny or there's a skin on it. I reckon some do a bad brew so they don't feel obliged to make any more and some use one teabag for four cups imo.

Old ladies and stay-at-home mums do the best service with the biscuits and odd butty. Blokes almost never bring out the plate with the munchies. The ultimate is when they bring out the home-made soup mid-winter.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Can I get some coffee?

Never could stomach tea.. (Unless it is cold and sweet)

Semper!! Would you like some coffee cake? I'm making some.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

We've had home made soup in the winter on a couple of jobs, I know what you mean.

Home made cake from old ladies is always a good one as well. Ah, the little things in life that make such a massive difference to your working day.
Lol at horrible tea, had that a few times...are you even British if you can't make a decent cup of tea???

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

originally posted by: semperfortis

Can I get some coffee?

Never could stomach tea.. (Unless it is cold and sweet)

Semper!! Would you like some coffee cake? I'm making some.

OI! Don't be stealing my trade, we sell coffee cake here at the Banter Cafe!
I'll be interested in sourcing yours if it's any good and if you can supply enough?
Pop in with a sample and we'll talk business

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Missed this reply.
Yes, tragically it is tougher being a bearded Asian gent than a whitey like me. People would probably panic and call the cops if they saw such a chap with an air rifle the way things are today.
It's actually illegal for me to carry my bow in public but it's a crazy law because to get to the boot of my car I have to walk in public first. Technically I could be arrested walking the short distance from my house to the car.
Crazy UK laws eh.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Good to see the café up and running and doing a roaring trade mate.

Any Ham and Pease pudding stotties going?

Washed down with either Yorkshire or Ringtons Tea.

After that I'll be ready for a bottle of dog or Double Maxim!

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Haha, Ham and Pease pudding stotties is tonights special, cooked fresh not from frozen!
Grab a chair and a cup o Yorkshire it is then, food will be a couple of minutes, just out of the oven.

I'll try some myself, never tried it, looks well lush.

Good to see you pop in the caff mate, remember, if you just want a bit of banter just jump in, nothing is off topic here.
Now, more tunes to think of on the jukebox...

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

A couple of tunes for the jukebox;

Greasy spoon café; very British.

Something very south western;

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Here we go, a Brit band I saw live a few times in the 2000's, now everyone except some US friends have got their Monday out of the way this seems appropriate for the jukebox.
Living for the weekend by HardFi

edit on 23-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Loving 'The Chords mate', never heard that before

...and the Levellers haha, I know all their songs so good choice. Been a fan of them for many years.
They run their own festival in these parts, I had to sell my ticket for this year unfortunately because I've had health issues so haven't worked much these last few months, cleaned my savings right out, even the church mouse is after my kneecaps!

Not all bad, I'm on some drug controlling my blackouts so can work again, but playing catch up with cash and working as much as I can now for the summer. Certainly can't be caning more money at 'Beautiful Days' lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join