It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe weather outbreak 7/20/18

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Today looks to possibly be a very bad day for weather across parts of midwest/south.

Potential for severe storms with damaging winds, hail, lightning and a tornado or two...

I am in western Kentucky and keeping an eye out today, Iowa got hit pretty hard.

Stay safe.

weather.com...

A second round of widespread severe thunderstorms will erupt in parts of the Midwest and Southeast Friday, following Thursday's tornadoes in Iowa, and straight-line wind damage in Kansas and Missouri. At least two destructive tornadoes ripped through the central Iowa towns of Bondurant, Marshalltown and Pella Thursday afternoon. Strong straight-line winds from a line of severe thunderstorms lead to a deadly capsizing of a tourist boat on Table Rock Lake, near Branson, Missouri.

edit on R252018-07-20T10:25:28-05:00k257Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Stay safe, we had some storms come thru yesterday in central and east IA. Pretty cool, yet terrifying, video of 2 tornadoes not too far from where I live.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Torcon 5 is out...

this could be ugly.

weather.com...

Friday - Friday Night Main threat area: Parts of the western Great Lakes into the Ohio Valley, Tennessee Valley and Mid-South region. Main threats: Clusters of thunderstorms, including some supercells, will likely develop with damaging winds, large hail and tornadoes. Tornadoes are most possible with discrete supercells in the Mid-South region to the Ohio Valley, but cannot be ruled out as far north as southern Lower Michigan. Cities: Indianapolis | Cincinnati | Louisville | Nashville | Memphis | Birmingham

I am on AT&T wireless internet and have been extremely pleased with the service because it's not really affected by storms.....I guess I will see how it holds up.
edit on R082018-07-20T12:08:26-05:00k087Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R082018-07-20T12:08:47-05:00k087Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Tornado watch just out..

fun times indeed.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED TORNADO WATCH 289 IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EDT /8 PM CDT/ THIS EVENING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS

IN INDIANA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 10 COUNTIES IN SOUTH CENTRAL INDIANA CLARK CRAWFORD DUBOIS FLOYD HARRISON JEFFERSON ORANGE PERRY SCOTT WASHINGTON

IN KENTUCKY THIS WATCH INCLUDES 49 COUNTIES IN EAST CENTRAL KENTUCKY ANDERSON BOURBON BOYLE CLARK FAYETTE FRANKLIN GARRARD HARRISON JESSAMINE MADISON MERCER NICHOLAS SCOTT WOODFORD IN NORTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY BRECKINRIDGE BULLITT HARDIN HENRY JEFFERSON LARUE MEADE NELSON OLDHAM SHELBY SPENCER TRIMBLE WASHINGTON IN NORTHWEST KENTUCKY HANCOCK OHIO IN SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY CASEY GRAYSON GREEN HART LINCOLN LOGAN MARION TAYLOR IN SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY ADAIR ALLEN BARREN BUTLER CLINTON CUMBERLAND EDMONSON METCALFE MONROE RUSSELL SIMPSON WARREN THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF ALBANY, BARDSTOWN, BEDFORD, BOWLING GREEN, BRANDENBURG, BROWNSVILLE, BURKESVILLE, CAMPBELLSVILLE, CARLISLE, COLUMBIA, CORYDON, CYNTHIANA, DANVILLE, EDMONTON, ELIZABETHTOWN, ENGLISH, FRANKFORT, FRANKLIN, GEORGETOWN, GLASGOW, GREENSBURG, HARDINSBURG, HARRODSBURG, HARTFORD, HAWESVILLE, HODGENVILLE, JAMESTOWN, JASPER, JEFFERSONVILLE, LA GRANGE, LANCASTER, LAWRENCEBURG, LEBANON, LEITCHFIELD, LEWISPORT, LEXINGTON, LIBERTY, LOUISVILLE, MADISON, MORGANTOWN, MUNFORDVILLE, NEW ALBANY, NEW CASTLE, NICHOLASVILLE, PAOLI, PARIS, PROVIDENCE, RICHMOND, RUSSELLVILLE, SALEM, SCOTTSBURG, SCOTTSVILLE, SHELBYVILLE, SHEPHERDSVILLE, SPRINGFIELD, STANFORD, TAYLORSVILLE, TELL CITY, TOMPKINSVILLE, VERSAILLES, AND WINCHESTER.

edit on R072018-07-20T13:07:18-05:00k077Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
We are getting hammered here in Alberta as well. Severe thunderstorms and heavy rain warnings. Incredible lightning too.

Stay safe everyone wherever you are.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We got rocked in central Missouri yesterday.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
LOL - stay well.

I'm in Southern California. A few weeks ago the temperate hit 115 degrees F.

Yesterday - we were at 90 degrees F, overcast (no rain) and thunder.

To say these are unusual events is becoming tiresome.

While any one extreme weather event cannot be 'proven' to be caused by climate change, the pattern of increasing numbers, varieties and locations of these events can.

In 2003, a deadly heat wave struck Europe that would usher in a new era of climate science.

In July and August alone, temperatures upward of 115 °F claimed nearly 70,000 lives.

However, while average global temperatures have increased at a steady clip since the mid-20th century, strong heat waves had been documented from time to time before then. For climate scientists, that meant that attributing the heat wave to global warming would be next to impossible.

So when a team of British researchers used environmental data and model simulations to establish a statistical link between climate change and the heat wave, they got attention.

Though they couldn’t prove that global warming had “caused” the scorcher, the scientists did assert that warming from human emissions had doubled the risk of extreme weather events.

Published in Nature, their first-of-its-kind study launched the new field of “attribution science,” which uses observations and models to tease apart the factors that lead to extreme climatic events.

dated August 17, 2017

www.smithsonianmag.com...
edit on 20-7-2018 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
LOL - stay well.

I'm in Southern California. A few weeks ago the temperate hit 115 degrees F.

Yesterday - we were at 90 degrees F, overcast (no rain) and thunder.

To say these are unusual events is becoming tiresome.

While any one extreme weather event cannot be 'proven' to be caused by climate change, the pattern of increasing numbers, varieties and locations of these events can.

In 2003, a deadly heat wave struck Europe that would usher in a new era of climate science.

In July and August alone, temperatures upward of 115 °F claimed nearly 70,000 lives.

However, while average global temperatures have increased at a steady clip since the mid-20th century, strong heat waves had been documented from time to time before then. For climate scientists, that meant that attributing the heat wave to global warming would be next to impossible.

So when a team of British researchers used environmental data and model simulations to establish a statistical link between climate change and the heat wave, they got attention.

Though they couldn’t prove that global warming had “caused” the scorcher, the scientists did assert that warming from human emissions had doubled the risk of extreme weather events.

Published in Nature, their first-of-its-kind study launched the new field of “attribution science,” which uses observations and models to tease apart the factors that lead to extreme climatic events.

dated August 17, 2017

Here in Tokyo over 3000 people were treated for heat stroke in just one day 3 days ago. Police are still finding dead bodies in homes and apartments. Over 100 people have died so far and today another day in the 90's. Remember we got hit with heavy and deadly rains just 2 weeks ago. Crazy times right now.
The vegetable plants are roasting and now one cucumber is hitting about a buck.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Oregon coast. Sunny, windy, high @67F.

Our little pocket of bliss.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Im in NC and i have seen evidence of haarp clouds like this pattern : ///// it's an unusual pattern i've not seen for months but there' s no way to prove it of course so i may as well be off my rocker but it is curious that this type of cloud formation only comes with sever spontaneous weather .

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Tornado watch was up in southern MI (not in my area, though) They dropped it a while back. All we've been getting for the most part is just wind, and the occasional sprinkle.

I'm a little disappointed, I was looking forward to thunderstorms, the weather in MI can get really dull now & then

edit on 7/20/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Overall, this has been a really tame weather year so far.

top topics

join