It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Block Attempt To Question Donald Trump’s Interpreter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Yea, that translator that sat during the super secret lengthy meeting between Putin and Trump. Not going to happen, he best keep his mouth shut.

Politico reported Thursday that Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee blocked Democrats from issuing a subpoena to the interpreter, who President Trump brought with him to his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Helsinki.

According to a State Department official, Democratic Representatives Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell were the ones to make the motion to subpoena Trump’s interpreter, Marina Gross, to testify behind closed doors. The motion was made Thursday morning at a hearing entitled “China’s threat to American government and private sector research and innovation leadership.”

Source

Democrats wanted to bring the interpreter before a committee and of course that didn't go well with the Republicans. What were the concerns cited by the Republicans in bringing in the interpreter for questioning? Well.... nil. Just because, I guess? Maybe there's some concern that the president is entitled to privacy when discussing things with an adversary? Maybe there was some privacy concerns for Trump himself ya know? Heck Putin could have been spanking Trump in there and that interpreter would be under obligation to keep shut about it. This comes after the GOP blocked two resolutions affirming support for the U.S. Intelligence Community. A far cry from the GOP in the Bush days when the intelligence community was heralded unquestionable from their suspicions on Iraq.

If this was just a casual chat on possibilities I guess it'd be fine but evidence points to the fact deals were in the very least discussed during that meeting in absence of any other official. It doesn't help the fact that Putin told diplomats he made Trump a new offer on Ukraine during their little personal summit. It also doesn't help the fact that Trump recently stated he's 'looking forward' to second Putin meeting to 'start implementing' what they discussed at their little summit when Putin arrives at the Whitehouse in Autumn. The one he forgot to tell his Intelligence Director about?

Nothing to see here folks. Just Trump bypassing those pesky people overseeing his actions. All of them by the looks of it.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   
No comment on the meeting itself, but what's the point of having a secret meeting if you can just release the contents of the conversation afterwards?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

The double standards at work in the GOP and indeed in the Republican base during this Presidency, have been nothing short of epic in scale.

Whether its the FBI, or the CIA, or the NSA, or the director of intelligence, all these figures and institutions which REMAIN right wing by their very nature, being as they are designed to uphold the capitalistic and corporatist endeavours of the United States, as well as provide some limited security to the people as an afterthought, are being accused of this, that or the other, simply because a personality cult and a far right movement has appeared in government.

The day where anyone could ever say of ANY of the intelligence and security institutions in the United States, that relative to the leader of the nation, they are moderate in their outlook, should NEVER have come. America is a nation beset by fools at present, and I only hope they remove themselves from the picture by way of Darwinian action, before they do more damage. For the rest of your countrymen, all I can say is that the world stands in solidarity with the sensible, compassionate and decent people in your country, and hope that you all survive this unutterable garbage fire of a Presidency.
edit on 20-7-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Are you implying that Trump could have been discussiong sensitive and classified information with Putin? You don't see anything wrong with this picture?

+30 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

No one provides oversight to the president. Your claim of such betrays a ridiculous ignorance of our government.

The Dems that did this are embeciles. Executive privilege. They know this and acted simply to whip their less insightful base into a froth (again).

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Makes perfect sense to me. A political stunt by a politician. It has been the norm since before my time. Everything we see in regards to politics is a sham to fool people. Some play the game badly AKA Trump and others better than all others.....looking at you Xi Jinping.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Putin speaks English well enough to correct his translators, the two translators were not needed

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   

No, I'm saying what's the point of a secret meeting if it's not secret?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

This quote I'll hold near and dear to me.

"No one provides oversight to the president."

bigfatfurrytexan, July 20th, 2018.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
It is normal for diplomatic negotiations to be kept private. Attempts to discover what happens in secret meetings are described as "spying".

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

No, I'm saying what's the point of a secret meeting if it's not secret?

Yes I know what you're saying. It was a secret meeting and the interpreter could be forced to release sensitive information that the Trump administration would much prefer to keep away from the public. To me that raises more alarm bells if this is the case. Why is the president discussing sensitive information with Putin?

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I wonder if the President said "I'll have more flexibility after the election" or "yes, you can have 20% of our uranium if you put millions of dollars into my private foundation" or maybe they just just spoke about thier grandchildren like Loretta Lynch did when she had a secret meeting with a rapist who's wife was facing indictment.
We'll never know because autistic schreeching is not an acceptable form of communication between adults. And using it to demand things has never worked and will never work.

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

The interpreter was a women, Marina Gross. And in the history of the nation, no presidential interpreter has ever been called to account in this manner.

As BFFT said, this was just a stunt by politicians who should know something about executive privilege... But hey, they knew what they were doing. Your strings were duly tugged.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The double standards at work in the GOP and indeed in the Republican base during this Presidency, have been nothing short of epic in scale.

Whether its the FBI, or the CIA, or the NSA, or the director of intelligence, all these figures and institutions which REMAIN right wing by their very nature, being as they are designed to uphold the capitalistic and corporatist endeavours of the United States, as well as provide some limited security to the people as an afterthought, are being accused of this, that or the other, simply because a personality cult and a far right movement has appeared in government.

The day where anyone could ever say of ANY of the intelligence and security institutions in the United States, that relative to the leader of the nation, they are moderate in their outlook, should NEVER have come. America is a nation beset by fools at present, and I only hope they remove themselves from the picture by way of Darwinian action, before they do more damage. For the rest of your countrymen, all I can say is that the world stands in solidarity with the sensible, compassionate and decent people in your country, and hope that you all survive this unutterable garbage fire of a Presidency.
maybe they don't have proper clearances

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Are you implying that Trump could have been discussiong sensitive and classified information with Putin? You don't see anything wrong with this picture?

No.

2 world leaders discussing what is going on the world. How to improve peace between our countries, etc.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

No one provides oversight to the president.

No president or this president?

Either way if it's true this is a problem.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Yet this was just fine with Bush and Kerry ! People need to realize who the true enemies are, and it's not the POTUS !

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I would ask you to explain that no oversight of the president of the united states of america occurs.

f you're talking about the russian president, it seems you are correct.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

I just read that trump does not allow a stenographer either.
I'm sure it's fine.
Probably cause something Obama did

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

I don't know about that, I know a lot of adults who seem to screech autistically, they dont seem to care if thats accepted or not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join