It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in the ‘dog pound’ (A Story of Immigration in the US)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is a Reuters special, as we're coming up on a bit over a month since the family separations were found illegal and the US government was ordered to re-unite the children with the parents. There were a couple of hiccups along the road but all the children under the age 5 were re-united on time and the government has until July 26th, or another week, to re-unite the remainder that is under the age 18.

This article from Reuters is both emotional and includes some heartbreaking quotes, as well as neutral and factual. It is important to realize that just because someone reports on something terrible that has happened, it's not a renewed attack on those responsible for it. People will talk about this for years or decades as it is a stain on our history, whether we want to talk about it or not. I think as citizens of this country we love, we must talk about it, again and again and again. And when we forget about it, we need to bring it up again.

Why is that? Because until every last one of us understands that what happened was not only morally reprehensible but also illegal in the eyes of the law, we are at risk of letting it repeat, not just under this administration but under all future ones. Our government is making good progress on fixing this situation and expediting the process, but we must not forget that imprisoning children, for whatever reason or holding people or families for longer than the law allows, is unconstitutional and must not repeat. Here is an article dating back to June 6, when the judge ruled the separations unconstitutional and ordered everyone be re-united.

I will also put in a link to all the statements the immigrants captured have been making to the attorney and interpreters representing them. This is a LOT of reading -- I only got through about 200 pages of statements out of the 1,200 pages of statements in the link below. From the statements I've read, there is both good and bad in there. Some facilities were better than others and some treated people the way we all would want to be treated. Others not so much, for every handful of stories about being treated well, there is a horror story of being mistreated, prodded, not having been allowed to sleep, children and toddlers with parents not given enough food for days, 2 year olds being forced to sleep on concrete without blankets and so on. Some of it may be true and some may be an exaggeration from exhausted and scared people and parents.

So as always, take everything with a grain of salt, but do me one favor please: as you read the statements, do a mental exercise. Instead of looking for a reason to justify behavior as you read, finding ways to make it alright -- imagine it was you writing that statement, or a member of your family. Put yourself in there, mentally. Is it OK for 1 out of 5 to be treated that way? 1 out of 10? 1 out of a 100? At which ratio does it become OK to treat humans inhumanely?

“I can only hold one at a time to keep them warm. Whoever I am not holding is cold,” she said in one of more than 200 sworn statements filed this week in a long-running lawsuit challenging conditions for children in immigration custody.

The statements, which were taken in June and July and identify immigrants only by their first names, provide a rare window into life in Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facilities. Migrants like Karen and her children who crossed into the United States illegally, as well as those who applied for asylum at the border, are often held in such facilities before being released or transferred to longer-term detention centers.

Reuters was unable to speak directly to the migrants who gave declarations because they weren't fully identified in the filing, and most of them are still in detention.

CBP referred requests for comment on the migrant statements to the Department of Justice, which declined to comment. In the past, CBP has defended conditions in its facilities.

While a few immigrants said that conditions were adequate, most described cold temperatures, too little food, difficult separations from their children and crowded cells without enough sleeping mats. They said latrines were dirty and lacked privacy and that lights stayed on day and night.

James Tomsheck, who served as assistant commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection for internal affairs from 2006 to 2014, told Reuters that the facilities were designed for brief stays.

“There is no question that the amount of time persons are being held at these, what are designed to be temporary detention facilities, has become much longer that it was intended.”

John Sandweg, acting director of ICE from 2013 to 2014, said the problems stem from the fact that holding areas were designed to lock up adults for just a few hours while CBP processed paperwork.

“They’re inappropriate, frankly, for children,” he said.

Reuters Article
1277 pages of Statements by Immigrants in Custody

Please stay on topic and do not derail the thread. Do not attack me personally for reporting news, attacks will be ignored and will not get a reply. Political baiting will be ignored and reported. Stay on topic and let's discuss what is going on in our country as adults should.

Thank you all for reading and commenting.

edit on 19-7-2018 by Kharron because: typo

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

They didn't have to come here "illegally". Was that short and sweet enough for you? Also, immigration IS a political issue considering a certain party decided it was okay to not adhere to our nations immigration laws. If anyone is to blame for giving these people false hope, it is those in our government who chose instead of fixing our laws to utterly just ignore them and those who decided it was okay to ignore laws based upon these criminals.

Who do you think these corrupt government officials are playing? Sure isn't me. I demand that they do their jobs and fix what they created. However, those of you who support them are giving them a free pass.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

They didn't have to come here "illegally". Was that short and sweet enough for you? Also, immigration IS a political issue considering a certain party decided it was okay to not adhere to our nations immigration laws. If anyone is to blame for giving these people false hope, it is those in our government who chose instead of fixing our laws to utterly just ignore them and those who decided it was okay to ignore laws based upon these criminals.

Who do you think these corrupt government officials are playing? Sure isn't me. I demand that they do their jobs and fix what they created. However, those of you who support them are giving them a free pass.

I honestly don't know what games are being played and what the corrupt politicians are doing, we can only assume, but what was created IS being fixed, we can be glad for that. And I don't support this, nor would I ever support this if it happened again, which is why I made this thread and will make many more over the years, reminding us all what we allowed to happen under our noses.

We can try to shift blame on others, or we can ignore new policies and blame the old ones, there are literally a 1000 ways we can ignore any behavior or justify it, but I am asking that we don't -- I am asking we be honest with each other and do better from now on. All of this happened under our watch, we're not reading about this in a history book.

I'm not proud of it, are you? What did you think of the statements? All of them give a reason and a background story for making the choice to come here. Valid reasons? What would you have done?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My wife is English. We followed the rules, forked out the cash and did things legally to enter the US. I have no sympathy for illegals. Same for me now, I am getting my UK Visa, expensive, but I am doing it and I have to take a history test next year. Why should I feel bad for what amounts to economic migrants?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So.... waday'a spose they would do if we just hopped the border into Kuwait or Saudi Arabia, or even into mexico. Or Australia or even China ?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I'm not sure what the purpose of keeping these people locked up is. If we don't want them here why are we keeping them so long?
It's similar to locking up the homeless, or suing someone that has no money. What is the end game?

I read into this a bit a while ago. It seems that there are countries that have similar "holding" centers with one exception, the illegals are allowed to leave if they go back home.

The cure to illegal immigration has nothing to do with the illegals, it has everything to do with the people that hire them (especially under the table). We have turned a blind eye to the cure and instead treat the symptoms.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I had nothing to do with creating our current mess of immigration system. That's all on our "Do Nothing But Create Division" Congress. All I can do is follow our laws so my ass doesn't end up in prison? I witnessed many Naturalization Ceremonies when I served, and there is nothing so amazing to see these immigrants know MORE than our own when it comes to our Constitution and laws and to see them in tears for finally becoming an American Citizen. Imagine how they feel watching those of you who want these people to get if for FREE?

Guess what would happen to me if I decided to illegally cross the Canadian border or the Mexican border if I got caught? Like I said, instead of allowing our Congresscritters to manipulate us to Occupy Airports and ICE, why are we not intelligent enough to DEMAND these Criminals to DO THEIR DAMN JOB? Do you see what they are doing by creating a situation like they are doing now? They are using people! They don't want to do their job because their life depends on getting re elected. In other words, they are flagrantly violating the Oath they took when they took office.

Imagine if the sob stories your article would get if they walked into an American prison and spoke to the inmates?
edit on 19-7-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

These people chose to come here they're responsible for anything that happens as a result of their actions.

edit on 7/19/2018 by msfitte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I'm not sure what the purpose of keeping these people locked up is. If we don't want them here why are we keeping them so long?
It's similar to locking up the homeless, or suing someone that has no money. What is the end game?

I read into this a bit a while ago. It seems that there are countries that have similar "holding" centers with one exception, the illegals are allowed to leave if they go back home.

The cure to illegal immigration has nothing to do with the illegals, it has everything to do with the people that hire them (especially under the table). We have turned a blind eye to the cure and instead treat the symptoms.

The reason is our country is making sure these children are not hostages to human traffickers. Should we just give the kids back to the adults they crossed with, without knowing if they are their parents or not? Not sure about you, but what is happening now is better for these children than if they were victims of sex trafficking?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Yes detain a deport them but they are still human beings that should be treated humanely not thrown in to concentration camp conditions.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They wouldn't be in cages if they came here legally.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
My wife is English. We followed the rules, forked out the cash and did things legally to enter the US. I have no sympathy for illegals. Same for me now, I am getting my UK Visa, expensive, but I am doing it and I have to take a history test next year. Why should I feel bad for what amounts to economic migrants?

I was a refugee, I came here legally. I lived in a refugee camp for months, went through political asylum interviews and background checks, lived on bread and black olives for months.

And I still have compassion for these people. How could I not?

Read their statements yet?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: msfitte

These people chose to come here they're responsible for anything that happens as a result of their actions.

People are getting derailed again, saying these people deserve this and so on.

I am guessing those people did not read the article or my post saying this is already resolved, it is not OK, it was found illegal, it was found unconstitutional and is getting remedied. There is really no point any more saying this is ok and they get what they deserve, it was already found illegal.

What can we do to make sure this does not happen again? Would you support a new law that would make sure this does not happen?

If the Constitution already says this cannot happen, do we need more laws to enforce the Constitution? Redundant? But still necessary?
edit on 19-7-2018 by Kharron because: quote

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

This is a Reuters special, as we're coming up on a bit over a month since the family separations were found illegal

was that a court ruling??

holding people or families for longer than the law allows

what? can you share a link of this happening for me?

there's so many fails in your post and links that I just decided to not care anymore

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Compassion yes.....tolerance...depends. You said political asylum....most of those people are economic migrants. If you are seeking legit political asylum then fine. But I guess many are economic migrants. In that case, I would give out job visas and make then register monthly with INS. BUT, 98% skip their hearings, so screw those particular people.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

This is a Reuters special, as we're coming up on a bit over a month since the family separations were found illegal

was that a court ruling??

holding people or families for longer than the law allows

what? can you share a link of this happening for me?

there's so many fails in your post and links that I just decided to not care anymore

Yes, it was. It did not get posted on ATS when it happened so many people still don't know about it. I will get more links later, I promise. I have a Cooper Hawk that fell out of its nest outside my house and I'm feeding it and trying to get it back up in the tree. And my 3 dogs wanna eat it. I'll be back later with links.

Look up Dana Sabraw (spelling?) and June 6 decision. Found it unconstitutional and ordered reunification. 2-3 days ago, July 16 I think, same court, same judge ordered a temporary stop on deportations, and the government is complying so far. So at the moment, we are not deporting any of the immigrants.

Thanks for reading toys and wanting to know more details. Do me a favor, if you find the links you are searching for, post them in here and save me time. I need to run outside again. Thxn

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

What can we do to make sure this does not happen again?

Build a wall.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

It's a "Story of Illegal Immigration ".

Fixed the title for you.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

originally posted by: lakenheath24

I was a refugee, I came here legally. I lived in a refugee camp for months, went through political asylum interviews and background checks, lived on bread and black olives for months.

And I still have compassion for these people. How could I not?

Read their statements yet?

BS!

What political asylum camp did you live in that fed you bread and olives for months? It sure as hell wasn't in the US! My question to you is then, "Are you a Russian?". I have to ask that because with you supporting open borders, I have to assume you want to destroy MY country, with your nonsense.

Your feelings don't matter to me! Especially when you just admitted you came here as a refugee, and now you think you have a right to destroy my countries culture and way of life. Perhaps the EU would have been a better choice for you?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

ok first off it was never "found to be illegal" if it was it would have been resolved under the Obama administration when it all started.

Second they should have their children permanently taken from them and an Endangering the welfare of a child charge should be added to the illegal entry charge.

Finally where is your bleeding heart for the 14,000 children held in identical Foster care facilities whos parents are currently in prison for breaking the law many non violent drug laws?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join