It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Steel CEO: We're reopening an idled plant and bringing back 500 jobs due to Trump tariffs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
US Steel CEO: We're reopening an idled plant and bringing back 500 jobs due to Trump tariffs

This is great news and further shows how all the vitriol and temper tantrums over Trump's tariff strategy is just that.

Burritt said the facility had been idle since December 2015 because of what he called unfair trade practices. "If you don't have customers here to sell to and you can't make money, you have to shut them down," he contended.

Hmm... Crazy how that works.

I'm happy to see jobs coming back, everyone should be.

And the leftists should be ashamed for allowing themselves to be used as mouthpieces for the DNC and their pet media talking heads who want America to fail just to make the President look bad.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

500 jobs may not be a lot, but it's a start. Baby steps, baby.

Bring business into Washington while kicking politics to the curb is an an uphill battle, but it can be won.

Keep Trump. Keep him for 4 terms. I want my offspring to not be worried about securing a job.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Wait, trade tariffs create competitive openings for domestic businesses and domestic manufacturers, leading to jobs for Americans? NO! This can't be! One is left wondering exactly what type of American would be opposed to these tariffs and who it is that's greasing their palms to make them so opposed.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peacetime

500 jobs may not be a lot, but it's a start. Baby steps, baby.

Bring business into Washington while kicking politics to the curb is an an uphill battle, but it can be won.

Keep Trump. Keep him for 4 terms. I want my offspring to not be worried about securing a job.

Actually 500 jobs opening at the same time in one location is big for whatever town. Imagine the reverse, one town losing 500 jobs at once..... Those aren't baby steps to the local economy, those are big swings.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
thats awesome.
i wish some of the foundries around here would crank back up.
im a foundry man. this is a good thing

i have a question though and it has # to do with trump. i just dont know

so the current president made changes that would allow them to open back up. the current president only has 2 more years guaranteed. im thinking he is going to win but anything can happen.

what if the current president gets voted out and the new president rolls it back?

would a company that opens back up be doing a hedging the bet situation?

i hope they all come back.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

supply and demand

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Wow that's a big thing, restarting a blast furnace is no cheap job, they must be confident.
And I absolutely agree, it's not just the 500 jobs, it's the suppliers and local businesses like food joints nearby, bars, stores etc. This is a feel good story for me and I'm from the UK.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

But BUT, i was just told its cost america 400,000 jobs... pffft, people are so desperate, cool, more american made products and more cash flow

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The next POTUS could do that, but any shutdowns resulting from that decision would be politically disadvantageous. The US spent many years from Nixon through Bush and Obama slowly changing regulations and tariffs to gradually sell out this country's manufacturing and production sectors. The roll backs on those policies by this administration have been fairly rapid and any benefits those rollback produce would likely evaporate quickly if the next guy went straight back to business as usual circa Jan. 19, 2016. It would expose the folly of globalism to pretty much anyone paying attention and cause serious outcry.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
thats awesome.
so the current president made changes that would allow them to open back up. the current president only has 2 more years guaranteed. im thinking he is going to win but anything can happen.

what if the current president gets voted out and the new president rolls it back?

would a company that opens back up be doing a hedging the bet situation?

i hope they all come back.

That's actually a good question. After 3-4 years of active tariffs any business that had planned to stay open would have already changed to cheaper local vendors & suppliers. If Tarrifs against Chinese steel were rolled back, and the inferior product became cheaper again ; It's logical to assume that those business would again change vendors over time.

The real key to long term success in this case, for this business is the same as it always would have been. Keep production costs down, keep product quality up and develop healthy business relationships to the people buying your steel. But that alone is not enough, China has no problem using government subsidies to under sell a product. Corner the market and then slowly raise prices (yes, like Wal-Mart). What this foundry will need, is increased steel usage throughout the country. Increases in commercial building, car manufacturing, updating local infrastructure, etc. etc. Essentially that the economy continues to expand at a healthy pace, thus increasing U.S. steel demand and future projected U.S. steel demand.

Because yes, if you roll these tarrifs back tonight, that foundary will close tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Yup, a friend of mine owns a fabrication shop. They make shelving, serving and steam tables...

Being able to purchase local steal is a huge advantage for lots of businesses.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Oh it's going to be a massive boost to that local economy for sure in many ways.
I wish all the folk there well, good story made me smile reading it for my fellow humans. I have friends and family working in steel towns here in the UK and those plants are the lifebood for many more people than the steel company employs.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Really! Tariffs imposed on imports have been in effect for what 2 months ? and already orders are increasing creating a demand for a steel works to re-open.........b.llocks. Either the demand was rising BEFORE the tariffs were imposed or someone is speculating on the effects. Of course has anyone factored in the effect of loss of exports due to the tariffs imposed on US goods shipped abroad? You know like Harley Davidson moving production to India for example to avoid the tariffs who will purchase steel locally like Tata in India!

The last time the world had a tariff war was in the 1930's and we know how that turned out !

This thread is full of Trump supporters in denial. Carry on in your ignorance, see you in a year once the sh.t has hit the fan and spread out. Oh and Trump will still be a multi millionaire so he'll be fine.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
nm, will write a thread

edit on 19-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

or someone is speculating on the effects.

Market speculation has always been a factor affecting the U.S. economy.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Or maybe they know they will get an exempt from the Department of Commerce. Thousands of companies applied for it.

Funny thing, you know who decides who gets the exempt? Department of Commerce, headed by Wilbur Ross, a Rothschild attorney. Not only that but the forms for the exempt are BIS forms (Rothschild Bank of International Settlements) and the decision is made together Department of Commerce and BIS.

Why would a U.S. steel manufacturer require a Commerce Department waiver for tarrifs directed at Chinese producers ?

The more I read about this the more I realize just how far the Rothschild family has inserted themselves into this admin and these policies.

Ya, those Rothschilds were completely and utterly benign and had no government influence anywhere of any nation until THIS administration !!!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
So if each of those workers make $35,000 a year and pay 28% Federal Income Tax, just to throw out averages. That would be $9800 each or $4.9 million for all 500 workers in tax revenues.

Not to mention small business like lunch counter style sandwich shops, food trucks, new housing construction, general shopping goods, etc.

How’s them tariffs gonna make America great again?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

You forgot fewer people on unemployment/food stamps/etc.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Or watched the news and rolled the dice. Lots of farmers did not plant soybeans this year due to worry of the prices bottoming out with China’s demand due to a trade war possibly happening on soybean exports to China.

Nothing is instantaneous or happens in a vacuum for big decisions. Just hurricane and other disaster relief aid is knee jerk too long after the fact. Mrs. O’Leary’s cow would have done a real number on Chicago today.

Six months of tariff talks after a year in office and a campaign on trade imbalances before going into effect wasn’t much of a sudden unexpected action. Successful businesses do tend to plan ahead.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I didn’t forget, just didn’t mention it because certain political platforms rejoice at the prospect of more money to spend to buy votes from the unemployed. Trump proving them wrong was a kick enough without reminding about a dwindling potential voter roll.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join