It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube's mental illness selection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well- this is fun... Youtube had decided somehow that I want to see videos of people doing stupid repetitive BS for hours on end! 10 HOURS of Spongebob saying "I knew a guy"?? 19 hours of someone saying "stop net neutrality"?? *Another* 19 hours of some weird girl dabbing because some weird squishy thing in the thumbnail does some weird noise?? It didn't stop there.

What. In. The. HELL. I knew Youtube hosted some pretty rubber room quality nonsense- but this is taking it to a whole other level.

To those of you who have little more to say than "well- turn it off if you don't like it": Here's the thing... before Google went and **ssed in the library algorithms, My youtube feed was pretty solid. No complaints, other than the occasional 2 day long commercial for 10 seconds of footage. Now, I am constantly having to muck out my feed of.... *this*. MY FEED, MY SELECTIONS. N*O*T* some algorithm that has obviously been programmed by meth addled monkeys. I do also notice that this thing will grab a bunch of random, completely not in my interest crap, and will throw it at me. And by random, I mean if I happen to click a video with 'The' in the title, I am inundated with *everything* with the word or the letters as a partial interpretation of 'the'- like say- 'Therapeutic Cattle Massaging'. Hell- a video of someone lighting off 10,000 sparklers had a cat in the video sitting around doing cat things while the sparklers were being set up. The cat was NOT the focus of the vid- but next time I refresh: "Cats, Topic- Recommended". With the same video, which has *nothing to do with cats*- the subject was a massive pyrotechnic display-, as the lead one! Other stuff- I cannot even begin to understand how it even made it on youtube, let alone into my feed.

If nothing else, it showcases the absolute, bottom of the septic tank drek that is vomited onto the internet.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Clearing your Watch History daily helps. It's a pain, but the alternative...

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
For me it keeps bringing up videos that I've already watched before. And on my phone it gets completely flooded with Jordan Peterson videos as soon as I watch even a single one.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

10 HOURS of Spongebob saying "I knew a guy"??

Ahh yes.

OK here it goes.

decoded or digitally interlaced in this video is a mathematical revelation that may change the way we travel.

*Another* 19 hours of some weird girl dabbing because some weird squishy thing in the thumbnail does some weird noise??

Yes, this video has in it, decoded, an equation based off the revelation in the other video.

You didn't mention it but there is a 3rd one of these videos, its a 6 hour one with similar what one would assume nonsense.

I wont say which video, as reality may change for the worse so I wont be opening the door but simply indicating where a key may be.

The last video is decoded or interlaced with engineering specs.

Think the movie 'contact' you see that one video is 19 hours, 19 hours of static was recorded when Jodie foster went to Vega in the movie?

ahhh

ahhhh

Sorry wylekat, its my mentally ill head that randomly made that up as soon as I read your words about the videos.

edit on 19-7-2018 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
When you click on a video, weather you like it or dislike it; it get's put into your suggested feed. I went through my suggested videos and disliked any video that was basically pop culture. I didn't watch any of the videos, I clicked on them and paused them. What I found is that even though I disliked the videos, that kind of content pushed all other content out of my suggested feed. I had to delete my watch history to get the suggestions off of my feed. It seems like the dislike button did absolutely nothing for me.

I think that is a very piss poor way of "assisting" users. I just don't think it's as much bout assisting others as it is mind control.

a reply to: watchitburn

E.A.G.L.E.S!
edit on 19-7-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I keep getting highlights of the Eagles winning the superbowl and democrats crying on election night.

Which is fine with me, I'll never get tired of either of those.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

N*O*T* some algorithm that has obviously been programmed by meth addled monkeys.

I did some research and found some images of the development team that designed the new Youtube algorithm:
Product Executive Manager

Lead Software Architect

Software Development Team Supervisor

Senior Software Engineer

All in all, they're a very productive team. It's just that nobody knows exactly what they're producing!

-dex

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Hey look at that handsome fella

Software design is something I have no clue about,

Luckily the team under me know what they are doing.

I can let this one slide, Just don't post the video of me when I was young and got the first whiff of what my insides smell like

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Im not even going to post that, it's too pointless.
edit on 19-7-2018 by SummerRain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

For me it keeps bringing up videos that I've already watched before.

Mine too. I just keep scrolling. I know there are people who make new content- but I have to dig till it hurts to find it sometimes.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

ROFL!
Bad monkeys! No bananas! Tho the orangutan baby is cute.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain
Im not even going to post that, it's too pointless.

WOW......WTF was that LOL

And how did you even come across it in the first place? That was very pointless but you did warn me so I can’t fault you. But again...WOW

Edit. No take backs on that one. I am telling LOL Demented cartoon movie
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

*deletes stuff out of history*
How far back does this go??? O.O

Plus... going thru my history, I have deleted very few videos that would have such an influence on what Youtube 'thinks' (ha!) is relevant.

The further I go... the less I see how the watch history has influenced anything. :/ I'm confused, to be honest.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I cleaned my History...

I restarted youtube- and was present with a completely mind numbing amount of recommended stuff that has (I just don't know how!!) *less* relevance to my interests than before!!

Not only that- but at least 1 thing I deleted from my history has been plopped right back into recommendations. 13 slots of slop I had to delete.

*is now more mystified than ever by the history thing*

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I can dig where you're coming from with YT feeds. It's taken me a long time to curate the feed into stuff I'm actually interested in. A good strategy is open a private window for stuff you don't want in your feed. For example, anything political gets the 'private window' treatment and so do any of the esoteric videos out there. I don't watch anything off ATS unless it's private.

My feed is now all outdoors stuff, music, cooking and comedy as long as I'm logged in on desktop. The YT app on my phone is a different beast altogether as it doesn't matter how much of a topic gets watched. It always promotes political BS and shows what the YT algorithms want us to watch...

If you have half an hour to spare I recommend this TEDtalk video. It will confirm a lot of what you're saying in your OP.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yeah, there are two herp keepers whose vids I enjoy, and now every suggestion has to do with snakes and/or turtle keeping.

I watched a few OutsideXBox vids and was watching some BestInSlot guides on Jurassic World: Evolution and now it's all video games and snakes/turtles.

I don't even recognize half the channels or games.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

We're plants in a profit farm.

This video is downright frightening.
edit on 19-7-2018 by wylekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
Well- this is fun... Youtube had decided somehow that I want to see videos of people doing stupid repetitive BS for hours on end! 10 HOURS of Spongebob saying "I knew a guy"?? 19 hours of someone saying "stop net neutrality"?? *Another* 19 hours of some weird girl dabbing because some weird squishy thing in the thumbnail does some weird noise?? It didn't stop there.

What. In. The. HELL. I knew Youtube hosted some pretty rubber room quality nonsense- but this is taking it to a whole other level.

To those of you who have little more to say than "well- turn it off if you don't like it": Here's the thing... before Google went and **ssed in the library algorithms, My youtube feed was pretty solid. No complaints, other than the occasional 2 day long commercial for 10 seconds of footage. Now, I am constantly having to muck out my feed of.... *this*. MY FEED, MY SELECTIONS. N*O*T* some algorithm that has obviously been programmed by meth addled monkeys. I do also notice that this thing will grab a bunch of random, completely not in my interest crap, and will throw it at me. And by random, I mean if I happen to click a video with 'The' in the title, I am inundated with *everything* with the word or the letters as a partial interpretation of 'the'- like say- 'Therapeutic Cattle Massaging'. Hell- a video of someone lighting off 10,000 sparklers had a cat in the video sitting around doing cat things while the sparklers were being set up. The cat was NOT the focus of the vid- but next time I refresh: "Cats, Topic- Recommended". With the same video, which has *nothing to do with cats*- the subject was a massive pyrotechnic display-, as the lead one! Other stuff- I cannot even begin to understand how it even made it on youtube, let alone into my feed.

If nothing else, it showcases the absolute, bottom of the septic tank drek that is vomited onto the internet.

I only watch stuff I search, I totally ignore the suggestions from youtube.
Maybe do the same and decide to watch things you think you may like to watch, not what a corporation is trying to feed you through algorithms?
Just a suggestion.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I only watch stuff I search, I totally ignore the suggestions from youtube.
Maybe do the same and decide to watch things you think you may like to watch, not what a corporation is trying to feed you through algorithms?
Just a suggestion.

I had my stuff that I like laid out in my feed. Youtube likes to come in, and wizz all over what I like in my feed. There's a selection of channels I've been watching. Like the host, like the content. Youtube would rather burn itself to the ground rather than dump it in my feed, after nearly 3 weeks of solid watching. I ended up bookmarking their channel, for easier access.

The selections I have thrown at me like poo from a chimp is absolutely astounding. I think that's what gets me the worst: "Where in the level hell did they pull this from, and *how* do they even begin to think it's remotely relevant?!"

new topics

top topics

join