It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awareness and will, ie narrative impartiality and immersion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The sooner we realize that life is a story, the sooner we can work together to make it a much better one. Imagine, if you will, a group of people telling a story about themselves. They ahould, necessarily, be in agreement about the story the wish to tell-having achieved this the obly thing which remains is for them to write the actions and deeds they wish to enact within the agreed upon framework. However, and this is the important thing, there is essentially no difference between Writing such a story, and Living it- save the fact that in writing a story we have ultimate control of the events in the world.

In writing a story, there is such a thing as narrative impartiality. That is to say, that although we invest ourselves into the story and its characters, even though we slip into their skins and even their minds- we still maintain a seperation in which we view the overall aim and scope of where we wish the story to go. If we so strive, we will never get to blinded by being IN the story, that we forget we are also Writing it.

And yet, this is Exactly what has happened, by and large. We have as a society forgotten that we are in a collaberative story, we have forgotten that we are but characters in that story... Thus we have lost our impartiality, we have lost our narrative desperation and thereby control.

We have become blinded by the characters and roles which we play, and have thus forned what is widely referred to as the "who"- that which separates and maintains the illusion of individual sovereignty, which allows for a wife variety of error in its service: pardoning greed, rage, etc; excusing and in fact manufacturing cognitive dissonance and lies... The conclusion awaits that such extensive immersion is the very thing which inserts such chaos and malevolence into the hearts and minds of men.

Not, however, I am not calling for a conplete rejection of individuality(as some on this site do)- I do not ask for a complete divestment of will, bor do i propose, as many "spiritualists" have done( particularly those of the "new age" movement but also those of old: notably, the Buddha, in calling for an escape from the cycle of reincarnation into nirvana) that we abandon all attachments to this story, this our reality. What is termed by the Buddha as the cycle of reincarnation- samsara, iraelf a concept heavily equivalent to certain notions of Hell- I term as the natural impulse of the divine into subjective creativity. Just as a mortal feels an urge, a call to write, so too does the divine cumpulsively seek to incarnate into, not only us humans, but the world arpund us, a stage for a plot to relieve boredom. "Divine opera" as it were.

So while many call for an abandonment, an escape from reality and indivuality- claiming these to be inherently and irrevocably evil and/or corrupted(even the bible maintains such in claining that except by Grace mankind will inevitably fall into the pit of hell) I woykd call for a return. Indeed, I yet maintain that reality is what we make of it, that Progress will joyfully heed our unified call- that being so born, so incarnated is not evil in and of itself; that evil lies in our perception of reality and ourselves.

I do not deny that a state of pure narrative impartiality-objective awareness- exists and can be resided in. I merely would claim that the impulses one observes while in this state(which, in their most basic form, express an interest of this over that) are not solely indicative of some nameless corruption, but rather suggest a will, a self in which such impulses occur. This is the character, the role whivh we chose to be incarnated in, and encompasses not only our physical bodies, but our minds as well.

I would in fact claim that such are the two states of Man- Awareness and Will, or Narrative Impartiality and narrative immersion.

I have already here spoken of the danger of residing fully in will- of being immersed fully in character and thus giving rise to the "ego". However residing fully in awarebess is hardly better- if all we do is observe everything and maintain complete impartiality, and speaking/thinking alone- then we will affect nothing, done nothing. Some may argue this isnt bad but the truth is it makes one fully complacent- whatever horros arise will be tacitly accepted.

The will requires a careful attention- trimming, caretaking if you will- so that it will not grow wild else die altogether. I woukd so claim that a careful balance must be struck between the will and the awareness- and that we as a society need to embrace this before change can be affected en mass.

Herein I will reiterate, in conclusion, that which I've already stated. Life is a collaberative story, in which we are the writers of the characters we inhabit. As such, Native to the Character, we have our Will, and originating as Authors, we have Awareness. Neither is to be eschewed over the other, but a collective balance to be maintained. That this is the only way we can live our lives to the fullest extent, and that society will only be reformed when we as individuals and a society come together in this understanding to create and inhabit the best possible story.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
We are creatures built to search for meaning. When we don’t find it, our hearts and our minds invent it automatically creating the story. Even when we have the meaning and/or facts, we still have the choice to write the story to suit our own selfish needs. Me? I like to write my story each day with intent! I have always believed that I create my own reality as I move along. I make all of the little changes and adjustments that add up to big differences in my life and in the lives of those around me, who are willing to be part of my story.

We can choose to write the stories of our lives to be filled with mindfulness, grace, respect, gratitude, and abundant love for each other and our world. We can choose to write the stories of our friends and families to be full of kindness and laughter; resiliency and authenticity; healing and hope. We can choose to write the stories of our personal spiritual journeys to be guided by faith and forgiveness; wisdom and understanding. We are the defenders and the scoundrels and the authors of our own story.

The problem as I see it is that everyone has a different story. So how do we all get on the same page?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

By accepting that life as we experience is fundamentally no different that a character, conscious, would experience the book he was in. In this understanding, the understanding that we came here to tell a story- not just our individual one, but as a world, as a species- we have an opportunity to step oit of the roles we chose, our egos, our personas and All the messes and drama they contain, and into Narrative impartiality, wherein we see the story as what we wish it to be, and ourselves as the tools to move the story forward.

Imagine, two are having an argument. Entrenched too deeply in their role, their self, bitter hatred ensues. But by stepping, for a moment, into impartiality, In to the understanding that we are but characters- offers a moment of levity, and from there the two can work torwards peace, remembering that they are not dictated by their minds, and that they have the power to shape the story to their will.

Such a simple understanding, and yet so revolutionary. We will necome the plot device that moves the collective story forward, and we can tell the best possible of stories, that fable of peace and unity to which mankind has always dreamed. We only need to accept the simple fact that reality functions exactly like a story, and that we have the power and responsibility to ahape it acvording to our collective needs.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
hi lucidwarrior.

you have a beautiful writing voice and speak with rare authenticity. thank you for your post.

just last week i was listening to a lecture by Terrence McKenna in which he quoted Jung as saying that the psyche is malleable and its most useful form is that of a 'quest'.

take care.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

Hello, thank you for the compliments ^^

I really should get more into Jung. And McKenna, for that matter.

I havent heard the quote before but I couldn't agree more. Only, as we age, I know the psyche becomes less and less malleable. More rigid, resisting more to change. But, certainly, what else are characters for, besides quests I mean? We don't read a story to see them sitting around all day, the end. Lol.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Reminds me of a play that I saw at a small play-house years ago called; Six Characters in Search of an Author.

Without repeating everything you've already said using different words, I'll simply say that I agree with you. Again, getting everyone on the same page is the problem.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I posted something earlier on facebook, a meme that says " The world is a library and we are its stories" _ Renata Bowers

Lucid, you said...

Herein I will reiterate, in conclusion, that which I've already stated. Life is a collaberative story, in which we are the writers of the characters we inhabit. As such, Native to the Character, we have our Will, and originating as Authors, we have Awareness. Neither is to be eschewed over the other, but a collective balance to be maintained. That this is the only way we can live our lives to the fullest extent, and that society will only be reformed when we as individuals and a society come together in this understanding to create and inhabit the best possible story.

It would be a beautiful world if society could be reformed and come together to create the best possible story, but as Scorpiogurl said,

The problem as I see it is that everyone has a different story. So how do we all get on the same page?

Each person is unique in all the world and you would think most people would want the same things in life, but life and people are complex and things don't always turn out the way we wish they would. There are too many conflicts, such chaos and discord between people. You can be a beacon of light and inspiration along with like minded people and like a ripple in the water, it can spread, but it will only reach so far. Sadly, mankind needs to evolve more before attaining peace and creating the beautiful story of life together in worldwide peace.

I could only advise that you do as much as you can personally and others can do what they can. It can make a difference in many lives, but we can't change the whole world, at least I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Thought provoking thread!

edit on 20-7-2018 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

The page is the background, the backdrop, the space that words and stories appear on.............without the page being present no story could appear. What if you are not a character that appears in the story made of a word on a page? What if you are the page itself?
Notice that you are the page that is not just full of words and stories but full of colour and sound and sensation.
When it is recognised that there is just this ever changing page...........everything will be on the same page.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Nighstar, you said

There are too many conflicts, such chaos and discord between people. 

But Star... The whole point of a story is that it revolves around conflict! Every story has conflict and for damn good reason, conflict is interesting! I mean can you imagine reading a hundred pages in a story where the most exciting thing that happens is stopping a snail from eating some veggies from your garden?

So all ive heard is that "man needs to get on the same page" and the common argument that "men will never agree"

But the fact remains, (and if I'm rehashing its for dann good reason) that the answer to both of those is, as I said in my op, realizing that we are in a story.

Perhaps its not quite clear the revolutionary revalations to be gleaned from such a simple fact?

Interpersonal relationships for instance, can be most radically transformed by this very simple concept. Simply exercise narrative impartiality anytime conflict bwgins to arise and there is numerous and immediate benefit: seperation from and usually banishment of the negative feelings promting such conflict, as well as an immediate reminder of the power and responsibility we have in defining ohr relationships with each other...

Imagine that your favourite character rwalizes she is in a story... What would change? Can you imagine how shed feel about the coinflicts and trials she now faces? Determine, perhaps, how differently shed view them?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Interpersonal relationships for instance, can be most radically transformed by this very simple concept. Simply exercise narrative impartiality anytime conflict bwgins to arise and there is numerous and immediate benefit: seperation from and usually banishment of the negative feelings promting such conflict, as well as an immediate reminder of the power and responsibility we have in defining ohr relationships with each other...

The good news my dear friend, is that there are many people from all over the world who are aware, who want the same things in life. The bad news is that there are still too many people who care more for power, greed selfishness or whatever than living in harmony with their fellow man. There are those whos lights shine bright and those who have dark hearts. Things need to change in order to attain lasting worldwide peace. Yes? Am I missing something?

We would think that things should be so much easier, that there doesn't have to be a disconnecting of humans from each other, yet sadly there is.

For me, I realize that I cannot change the entire world, but I can and have made a difference in the world of many individuals and so have you. It has to be enough or I would get overwhelmed and surely fail expecting more than I am humanely capable of.

Can we change the way every single person in the world thinks and feels? I hear your possibilities and hopes. I'd like to hear what you recommend as solutions.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I've given you many answers, Star, many times, such that I know now when to keep my mouth shut. XD

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

If you insist.

My solution lied in the fact that a story revolves around conflict. So if people that want good things are able to unite around he fact that life is a story, then they will see their obstacles(not just the people that don't want good but their own inner nature's as well) as something that is destined to be overcome.

Not to mention the fact that if people hat want good things create a "good things" society based around people doing said "good things" bad people will weed themselves out and cut themselves off from the teat.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
So if people that want good things are able to unite around he fact that life is a story, then they will see their obstacles(not just the people that don't want good but their own inner nature's as well) as something that is destined to be overcome.

All people want 'good things'...............but 'good things' to some people are not 'good' for other people.

Not to mention the fact that if people hat want good things create a "good things" society based around people doing said "good things" bad people will weed themselves out and cut themselves off from the teat.

I have been watching a BBC series called 'Utopia'.................it seems that everyone is looking for it.
The word 'utopia' actually means 'no place'.

It is not a new thing even though the word 'utopia' is quite new................man has been seeking the land of milk and honey forever. It seems that man believes that life is not good enough..............so is doomed to a life of hell seeking something that does not exist.
In fact society becomes more and more enslaved by it's need for more and better.
edit on 25-7-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

I like your story analogy as a means to appreciate life. It's something I've also wondered about over the years.

An insight I've had is how we can be main characters in our own lives, but can also have roles in wider narratives that we may have little say in. For example, the drunk driver who crashes becomes a lesson to others in their stories. Imagine the lingerie-clad teen going into the basement in horror films or Mr Red Shirt in Star Trek? Their roles are to propel the narratives of other characters. In that context, we can be examples to others of how to, or how not to , live out our stories. It speaks to karma (of which I'm not a believer) I suppose, but also the speculative possibility that the world is indeed 'a stage, and all the men and women merely players.'

If we so strive, we will never get to blinded by being IN the story, that we forget we are also Writing it.

I'm reminded of this fella here:
He was subsumed in the Zeitgeist of Nazi Germany and only this photograph stands as a reminder of his story. Nevertheless (image or not) he wrote his own narrative whilst many of those around him had theirs dictated by more important scriptwriters.

Between our night-time dreams, media and books we can be described as myth-makers and humanity at large as a story factory. No harm in examining life through such a lens or using it as a means to develop healthier societies and lives.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

For humans, "Good" and "Evil" are primarily constructs designed around social contracts. Meaning that different groups will have different definitions based on their needs. This extends even into worship in varying degrees of subtlety. (I say primarily because if a quality exists there must be a standard by which we measure it.) So it is therefore the communities obligation, when pushing to unite with other communities, to find a common ground definition.

Lemme get this straight. Society is enslaved by its needs for more and better? Man, that's some effed up thinking, to vilify the nature of man which yearns towards the best possible of qualities; which yearns for a peaceful life with all his fellow man; and which compels men to do he best they can to overcome corruption personal and et large. That's really effed up, yo.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

What I find interesting about what you've said is that in my view, this examples of people who push the narratives of other characters is that it's deliciously meta. The drunk driver can present a lesson to his peers, but the red-shirt and the lingerie-teen, while propelling the narrative, serve as a lesson to those Watching the story, rather than those inside it.

he wrote his own narrative whilst many of those around him had theirs dictated by more important scriptwriters. 

Yes, exactly! It's my belief that using the tool of the story lens, and exercising narrative impartiality, others in that crowd could have examined their actions and chose the same thing.

Between our night-time dreams, media and books we can be described as myth-makers and humanity at large as a story factory. 

That's why, in my view, this is so imperative a viewpoint. I made sure, in my op, to stress how reality is functionally no different from a story, rather than claiming that reality is absolutely a story, to ensure that some who would be predisposed to reject the first notion might entertain the latter.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
Yes, exactly! It's my belief that using the tool of the story lens, and exercising narrative impartiality, others in that crowd could have examined their actions and chose the same thing.

If the moon, in the act of completing its eternal way around the earth, were gifted with self-consciousness, it would feel thoroughly convinced that it was traveling its way of its own accord on the strength of a resolution taken once and for all. So would a Being, endowed with higher insight and more perfect intelligence, watching man and his doings, smile about man's illusion that he was acting according to his own free will.
Albert Einstein.

The moon (if gifted with self- consciousness) would look at the Earth and say it could and should be moving different than it is. Itisnowagain.

edit on 25-7-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join