It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand boys freed from cave mourn, honor diver who died in rescue mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Good to see Thai Navy SEAL Lieutenant Commander Saman being sincerely honored and mourned by his country and good to hear the boys are doing reasonably well. Amazing rescue Thai Seals.

Wiping away tears, the boys wrote messages of thanks on a portrait of former Navy SEAL and volunteer diver Saman Kunan, who died July 6, while installing oxygen tanks along the passageways of the cave.

Saman, 38, was a volunteer who had been engaged in the important mission of helping replace oxygen canisters along the route to where the boys were sheltering to make the hours-long passage possible.

“All cried and expressed their condolences by writing messages on a drawing of Lieutenant Commander Saman and observed one minute of silence for him,” the Thailand health ministry said in a statement, adding that the boys were only told about Saman’s death until a medical team determined they were mentally strong to handle the news.

“They also thanked him and promised to be good boys,” the statement added.

Adul Samon

Adul Samon, a stateless 14-year-old sent to Thailand for schooling by his ethnic minority parents across the border in Myanmar, spoke in Thai and then in English: "Hello, I am Adul. Now I am very fine. I am very thank you so heavy, thank you so much.”

Thailand boys freed from cave mourn, honor diver who died in rescue mission
edit on 15-7-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Good to see Thai Navy SEAL Lieutenant Commander Saman being sincerely honored and mourned by his country and good to hear the boys are doing reasonably well. Amazing rescue Thai Seals.

I'm trying to find out how he died. Maybe some further exploration is needed.
ETA. Wow. He ran out of oxygen. That's horrible. He gave his life rescuing these children.
edit on 15-7-2018 by rollanotherone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

God Bless him, a truly honorable man.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
A wonderful man and hero! RIP Saman Kunan.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone
a reply to: KTemplar
a reply to: Night Star

When it comes to degree of difficulty and danger, an underwater cave rescue is right up there. And Saman Kunan was a volunteer. I didn't realize that at first. Wow and much respect, Sir.

The Thai peoples have shown great resolve, bravery, and ingenuity. And they mourn with their big hearts evident. Much respect to them too.

edit on 15-7-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I had missed this thread S&F for posting.

The word I got was he ran out of air in one of the long underwater passages due to a faulty gauge or he started with an inadequate supply. All the tanks I ever used had an emergency supply that would last about 5 minutes once activated... Evidently 5 minutes was not long enough..

join