It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water is not essential to life.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   
What happens to the people allergic to water when it rains? can they have a shower or bath? can they only brush their teeth with soda?.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Theosist
IQ below 70 confirmed. Just how much of an inbred imbecile does one have to be to not understand that sodas, fruit juices and milk are constituted mostly of water? How this person ever learned to read and write is a mystery.

Apparently they still have allergic reactions when they drink it but it isn't as bad.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
What happens to the people allergic to water when it rains? can they have a shower or bath? can they only brush their teeth with soda?.

Heidi Falconer has to wear a space suit whenever she goes outside in case it rains. A bully once stole her space suit.
www.birminghammail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Most of them bathe once a week and it's painful.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Badams
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thanks mate! Lately, idoocy seems to be plaguing this site that I joined specifically to combat that exact thing. Well, where my field doesn't save lives like yours does and I don't have the education you have to be a first responder, I'd like to think I know enough biology to shut the OP's ridiculous notion down.

Well, thank you friend. I agree that lunacy abounds everywhere these days!

You mentioned not having equal experience as me? You'd be a perfect candidate for community response training!

Most places...in most countries...have Responder training, free and thorough...for when needed. It's volunteering, but you'd be an asset to your community...

Training is fun, informative and necessary in today's world of lunacy and craziness. Contact your community. Even if you're limited in some way...we need all kinds, ages...and you don't need to be physically able....just willing!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This can't be anything more than trolling. I can't believe anyone would genuinely be posting nonsense like this. Sorry...

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Has jedimiller returned?

I can only wish........those were fun threads.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Instead of arguing over whether or not you have some sort of reaction to water, Let's go back for a moment to your thread title "Water is not essential to life." and your original post which included the following:

originally posted by: WillSawyet
...and never heard of anyone allergic to cola, dr pepper etc. I'm not dehydrated at all but I kind of worry about my teeth at times.

It takes roughly a week to replace your body's entire liquid content so it's safe to say my body is now 70% cola and dr pepper and my cells don't seem to be complaining! If water is really so ''essential'' to life then how come I'm still alive and kicking?

They cannot drink water at all, instead they opt for diet cola, milk or orange juice, which brings them no harm.

So the whole thing about water being essential to life is a blatant lie...

Forgetting whether or not you have a reaction (maybe you do, but it might be something IN the water causing the reaction, but I digress...), the logic you display in your title on your OP is just a plain bad example of logical thinking.

Your claim that "it is a lie that water is essential to life" is not at all backed up by the evidence you have presented about drinking soda, because when drinking soda your body is in fact getting water.

I mean, it's not as if you are putting no water at all into you body. Maybe you aren't drinking straight water, but the flavored water you call soda is still water, and your body is still getting that essential water it needs.

So, no -- it is NOT a lie that water is essential to life (life as we know it). Water is essential.

EDIT TO ADD:

they always talk about how Mars for instance must have water to support life but because it doesn't have water then there's zero chance of extraterrestrial life living there, but there's people on Earth who have went without water for decades and are still alive and kicking...

Mainstream astrobiologists, including those at NASA, DO think that there might be some water under the surface of Mars, and that it is also possible that there is microbial life beneath the surface.

In addition, scientists believe that it is possible that there might be life that uses a liquid other than water. NASA astrobiologist Chris McKay thinks it's possible for potential life on Titan to use liquid methane in place of water.

www.space.com...

Science today concetrates on water-based life because that is the style of life that we would most easily recognize/test for because it's "life as we know it". On the other hand "Life as we DON'T know it" might be hard to remotely test for if we don't know what to look for.

edit on 13/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

If you already know the answers why are you asking?.......... #trollthread and 10 pages......

Stop feeding guys

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: WillSawyet

Dude, dump the sodas and just drink this - only 5% water, you should be good

Problem solved!

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

My question is why do you need a liquid at all? Methane has none of the properties of water. So if we say life does not need those properties, why would it need liquid? Once you remove liquid water your habitable zone becomes the entire universe. If you say life can work with anything, then it can work anywhere.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieZygote
I can't tell if this is a serious thread, or an attempt at humor...🤔

I can tell

Anyways I am curious if anyone mentioned dehydration synthesis/ hydrolysis in this thread. That's biology 101 sheesh. Next we'll hear about drowning fish.

edit on 13-7-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

a reply to: Kandinsky

Then how do you explain how people allergic to H2O (to the point they could die of their throat swelling shut if they drink just a sip of water!) can drink soda, milk, juice etc without it bothering them?

www.birminghammail.co.uk...

www.bbc.com...

www.itv.com...

Water is not an Allergen.. Compounds and chemicals in the water are/can be. The reason people with allergies don't get sick when they drink substitutes is because the water in soft drinks and other liquids is processed and filtered.

What you are talking about here is Aquagenic urticaria.. It isn't actually an allergy to water its self, but a reaction to certain elements in the water, which can cause the throat to blister. In some severe cases, Raw tap water can be deadly. Most soft drink manufacturers have access to advanced filtration systems that can reduce the amount of foreign bodies in water, which reduces the reactions of people who suffer the condition.

Drinking that much Cola, and taking in that much sugar is only going to lead to heart disease and an early death...

Alternatively, drinking Cola with the artificial sweetener Aspartame, will also lead to an early grave because it is a carcinogen.

I would suggest that instead of killing yourself with Soft drinks, invest in a high quality (industrial standard), filtration system to remove as many compounds from your tap water as possible. Also, invest in a rainwater tank A metallic one, not plastic or concrete, as both can contain chemicals and minerals that can release into the water), where the water will have less foreign bodies to start with.

edit on 13-7-2018 by Ironclad3000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

water , especially public drinking water has a lot of chemical additives in it , plus pipework in and around towns in the UK can be Old and contain many things which can cause allergens!

The human body is comprised mostly of water, to be allergic to H2O molecules must be extremely rare!
as every cell in her body has water contained within !

there must be some sort of ion difference in the water external to her body and inside her body which the body cannot process correctly without reaction!

but must suck to be her ! Water is amazing

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Also people degrease motor engines with Coke!

and also that much sugar is bad for you

please do your older self a favour and stop drinking that poison as quickly as you can

drinking coke or other soft drinks full of sugar or artificial sugar is as bad as standing in the sun
its only a matter of time before you die !

yeh I know we are all dying slowly , but this is a sure fire way to increase your health risks in later life
reduce your chance of survival , increase your health insurance
put pressure on your family when you are older.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

My question is why do you need a liquid at all? Methane has none of the properties of water. So if we say life does not need those properties, why would it need liquid? Once you remove liquid water your habitable zone becomes the entire universe. If you say life can work with anything, then it can work anywhere.

It is correct that methane does not have the same properties as water. That's why potential life that uses metahne intead of water would be different. However, the liquid methane might be able to serve some of the same purposes in methane-based life as water does in our body for life processes. Water in our bodies can act as a solvent and carry dissolved nurtrients. So can liquid methane carry dissolved nutrients, but those nutrients might ne different (maybe hydrogen and acetylene).

The cell structure would be different, because where our cells have a "lipid" layer of non-water soluble fatty acids separating the water in the cells from part outside the cells and controlling the flow of nutrients in and out of the cell, methane cells would beed to have something other than this lipid membrane layer, because the fatty acid lipids are be methane-soluble (the membrane needs to contain the methane parts of the cell). A Nitrogen-carbon-hydrogen membrane might work instead to surround the liquid methane and control the exchange of nutrients in and out of the methane-based cell.

On our planet, living cells have an outer membrane comprised of a lipid bilayer—a barrier that separates the intracellular water-based fluids from the extracellular ones. A hollow vesicle enclosed by a lipid bilayer is known as a liposome, or a “lipid body.” The research team envisions that Titan residents may also be comprised of cells, but instead of an outer shell of lipids, their cell membranes would be comprised of compounds based on methane, which has a much lower freezing point than water.

This theoretical membrane, dubbed an “azotosome” (or “nitrogen body”) by the researchers, would contain nitrogen, carbon, and hydrogen molecules—all of which can be found in Titan’s super cold methane seas. The azotosome would be both rigid and flexible like a lipid membrane, controlling the transportation of materials into and out of the cell.
Here’s What Methane-Based Life On Titan Could Look Like

By (as you asked) why methane? Why not other liquid substances? Well, there may in fact be other liquids that could work in place of water, but simulated models have been tested of liquid methane-based life with these "azotosome" membranes rather than liposome membranes containing the cell show that the methane world Titan has azotosome compounds, and (importantly) those compounds share some of the same abilities as liposomes and also show stability.

The azotosome is made from nitrogen, carbon and hydrogen molecules known to exist in the cryogenic seas of Titan, but shows the same stability and flexibility that Earth’s analogous liposome does. This came as a surprise to chemists like Clancy and Stevenson, who had never thought about the mechanics of cell stability before; they usually study semiconductors, not cells.

Life 'not as we know it' possible on Saturn's moon Titan

But can other substances other than methane also potentially replace water in life processes in "Life as we DON'T know it", making almost anywhere "habitable"? Maybe, but research on alternatives to water seem to be looking at methane at the moment, most likely because of Titan, but maybe other substances might also someday be shown to be potentially viable for some weird alien metabolic processes(maybe?).

edit on 13/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
What the hell did I just read? Is this a joke? It has to be a joke. I mean - seriously???

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hmm last time I checked H20 is about as inert as you can get and seriously?!? You get water from near everything you eat or drink you’re overthinking this way too much (either that or not thinking at all but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt). Sodas are concentrates cut with water so you’re drinking water whether you see clear liquid or not. You might want to rethink drinking nothing but soda, personally I prefer to eat my calories and you have to worry about too much acidity drinking nothing but soda. Do yourself a favor and drink at LEAST 4 bottles of water a day and cut back on the sodas. You also have to realize that a fair amount of allergies are psychosomatic I have problems believing anyone is physically allergic to water and has lived long enough to speak about it. Critical thinking is your friend.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
this sounds alot like idiocracy,

idiocracy movie

it's just too much

has to be a troll

thanks anyway you remembered me of that movie it's a good lough

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Ok probably their water sources were contaminated flint
Michigan had polluted water in its water supply for years.. water in it self is not an allergen but water we consume has so many chances of contamination these days.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join