It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

objecting to " gay " birthday cakes ? the farce deepens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
hey - if you trawl deep enough into someone elses life - you will find something to object too

and thats exactly what one person alledgedly did :

source

obligitory summary :

a wopman ordered a birthday cake [ with no context - other than happpi burthday ] - for here same sex partner - the baker then alledgedly - looked the woman up on farce book - realised she was gay - and screamed religious objection - and cancelled the order

obligitory opinion :

this farce has sunk to the depths of insanity

if this allegation is true - the baker - went looking for outrage

where does it stop ???

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Ohio has no protections for LGBT people; there's nothing they can do.

This puts the lie to "it isn't about them being gay" claim at any rate.
edit on 12-7-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Your story is 2 years old and the other problem is this isn't a bakery. Its a black woman that bakes cakes out of her kitchen and sells them online. This of course is why she saw their online profile since that is how they contacted her.

www.instagram.com...
edit on 7/12/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

So ... it's okay to discriminate against someone if you only have an online business, or a home-based business?

Oh, wait, this is in Ohio ... it's fine to discriminate against gays and lesbians.

Nevermind.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

So ... it's okay to discriminate against someone if you only have an online business, or a home-based business?

Oh, wait, this is in Ohio ... it's fine to discriminate against gays and lesbians.

Nevermind.

Do to the fact your hiring her online to do something means she can say no. She could decide she doesn't like your hair color skin color etc. All this shows is she hates gay people as to why doesn't matter. But she isn't required to take a job she doesn't want to do. Though looking at her work I wonder why people would pay her in the first place her work isn't to bakery standards.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Nevermind.

It’s okay for someone to force another person to break their religious code? To do something that they see as amoral?

Would it be okay if they were to refuse to bake a cake for a known pedofile and his underage bride?

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I have nothing against the LGBT community but I do have a problem with this. If someone wants to deny service then they have every right to do so. If the person asking for the service is upset then they can go elsewhere. Simple as that. Why all the fuss?

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Good post. "Why all the fuss." I imagine it's just attention seeking. There are people nowadays who just can't take "no" for an answer.

kind regards,

bally

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
They have every right to refuse service to LBGTs.
I would do the same myself if I was in their position.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Nevermind.

It’s okay for someone to force another person to break their religious code? To do something that they see as amoral?

Would it be okay if they were to refuse to bake a cake for a known pedofile and his underage bride?

So you are for religious freedom, I take it then you have no issue with Muslim women wearing burkas or Muslim men having multiple wives....?

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

That should be a personal buisness decision,when you own your own buisness you should be able to conduct buisness as long as it doesn't break any laws,thats why people own their own buisness,these puke millenium liberals have no work ethic,they can't understand,worthless bunch,what happened to free speech

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Nevermind.

So you are for religious freedom, I take it then you have no issue with Muslim women wearing burkas or Muslim men having multiple wives....?

Lets look at the fallacy of your argument

one you are allowed in this country to wear ANY religious dress you choose as long as it does not violate nudity laws or in your case specifically something that hides your identity.

also it is illegal to FORCE someone to wear any religious article against their will
so IF it were legal to wear a burkas and as required by some Islamic law view the man and/or religious leader ORDERS the woman to wear it under sanctioned use of violence if not complied with.
So it would be illegal.

two ...man having multiple wives (in your case) or wives having multiple husbands, or even same sex having multiple same sex spouses is called polygamy and been ILLEGAL for as long as this country has had laws.
in fact that practice is not just relegated to a religious practice but by non religious people as well.
a specific case may be made back when Utah wanted to become a state and had a high population of Mormons but overall it has not been a legal practice in eyes of the law.

on a side note personally i think if same sex CONSENTING legal adults can get married why not multiple?
seems whats good for the goose is good for the gander...but thats a separate topic for its own discussion.

in short as long as your religious practice do not overtly impinge on someone elses rights you have religious freedom.
now this isnt a perfect world so some gray area is inevitable that BOTH SIDES of religious debate are gonna have to give some "rights" and do .

but the cold hard truth is you have NO RIGHT TO DEMAND SOMEONE MAKES YOU A SPECIALTY CAKE.
this lady didnt own a store, she didnt have "made happy birthday cakes" ready for sale.
it was all custom order.

so this person didnt have a right to have her make a cake.

now if this lady did have a store and with a made cake on the self she refused to sell her the cake because she was gay...then you have a leg to stand on since it was made and available.

so if she didn't want to make her a cake because she was gay, out of town, or just wasnt felling well that day or no reason given she cannot demand it be made under "its a right"

lastly....I can find freedom of religion under the first amendment.
I cant find an amendment that states "you have a right to have a specialty cake made by anyone"

scrounger

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

So that's a no then... I agree I don't believe in religious freedom either, as far as I'm concerned the law of the land takes precedence.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Interesting situation.

Of course, the woman baking the cake has the right to refuse service for any reason. She does not need a reason to say "no." On the other hand, by saying no in this instance, over this reasoning, she has likely ostracized many of her customers. I know if I lived there and wanted a birthday cake, I wouldn't go to her after hearing this.

Similar situations have worked themselves over time since the beginnings of commerce. A good businessperson does not place personal feelings above the good of their business. I understood the baker in Colorado, because he could not help but see that his creation was in full support of a religious objection he had, but the words "happy birthday" carry no such message. Indeed, were this case to reach the Supreme Court, the ruling in the Colorado case would not apply. The ruling stated that an artist could not be forced to create a work against their personal religious beliefs, which this cake would not have been (unless there is a religion that bans birthdays).

Shame on you, lady, for getting up in a tizzy over how this woman lives her life. But... shame on anyone who tries to make this a "thing"... it shows neither side of the political arguments in a good light.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

That should be a personal buisness decision,when you own your own buisness you should be able to conduct buisness as long as it doesn't break any laws,thats why people own their own buisness,these puke millenium liberals have no work ethic,they can't understand,worthless bunch,what happened to free speech

Hmm ... and here I thought all these years that the reason people owned businesses was to make money. What'dya know?

I

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Making a cake is amoral (immoral)?

That's an even more absurd argument in this case. The baker wasn't being asked to participate in a wedding but just to make a cake for a birthday. Are birthdays unchristian? Gay people shouldn't celebrate anything?

Ah, wow, a direct comparison between gay people and pedophiles ... that's original.

To answer your question in Ohio, it's legal to discriminate against gay people for any reason.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

They have every right to refuse service to LBGTs. I would do the same myself if I was in their position.

What a surprise, someone on ATS is heartless and full of hate.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Interesting situation.

Of course, the woman baking the cake has the right to refuse service for any reason. She does not need a reason to say "no." On the other hand, by saying no in this instance, over this reasoning, she has likely ostracized many of her customers. I know if I lived there and wanted a birthday cake, I wouldn't go to her after hearing this.

Similar situations have worked themselves over time since the beginnings of commerce. A good businessperson does not place personal feelings above the good of their business. I understood the baker in Colorado, because he could not help but see that his creation was in full support of a religious objection he had, but the words "happy birthday" carry no such message. Indeed, were this case to reach the Supreme Court, the ruling in the Colorado case would not apply. The ruling stated that an artist could not be forced to create a work against their personal religious beliefs, which this cake would not have been (unless there is a religion that bans birthdays).

Shame on you, lady, for getting up in a tizzy over how this woman lives her life. But... shame on anyone who tries to make this a "thing"... it shows neither side of the political arguments in a good light.

TheRedneck

well said

the marketplace has an amazing way of showing and balancing out what is wanted , popular and/or the truth.

look at the baker who refused to make a SPECIALTY cake for a same sex wedding but offered to sell whatever they had on site.

look at the restaurant that REFUSED SERVICE to sarah sanders .

the baker is doing a good business

the restaurant took a MAJOR HIT and the manager was FIRED.

no courts needed.

but I can see the liberals being angry their "view" wasnt as popular as they thought

maybe thats why they love the courts vs convincing people or legislative process

hmmmmm

Scrounger

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

I concur on the quality of the product. I wouldn't be ordering a cake from her.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

You were misinformed. People start small businesses for a myriad of reasons: more income, better working conditions, special restrictions (as in medical), personal satisfaction, control, artistic expression... there's almost as many reasons as there are people doing it.

Money is needed, but not everyone places it first and foremost in their lives.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join