It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does believing in god or a higher power give your life meaning?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Night Star
I do believe there is a God, a higher power or whatever people wish to call the creator of all things. I find it strange that our existence wouldn't have a purpose or meaning. So many things to ponder and try to understand. There is far more to life than we could ever imagine here and now in this physical form.

The paths diverge in all directions.

You can only follow one at a time.

Each journey can easily be further than you can go in a lifetime.

To suggest that it is possible to follow them all is folly.

To be on any path that leads to good, is a good path. You don't have to follow them all? And there is no 'goal' in following a path. It is a value that will always find the good path to follow. Values don't have finishing posts. The path can always change, but to see that change as an opportunity, rather than an obstacle, and continue on a good path, is all we can do.

How do you know that a path leads to good, especially if you have never been at the other end of the path?

To just arbitrarily follow a path with no idea of destination or the quality of the journey along the way will usually lead you to be lost or in the middle of nowhere.

Some paths lead to roadblocks pitfalls and dangers, too.

If you are really lucky, you might take in some great scenery but at the end of the day, you'll probably return to the comfort, companionship and safety of home.

I'd say it is your intent. If you set out to be a good person, compassionate, empathetic, understanding, then you don't necessarily choose any path, you create your own. No one can predict the future, and setting yourself a goal to achieve will either result in and end to that path, and leave you back where you started, or will result in disappointment if you fail to achieve that goal. But if the things you do are done with a good heart, with good intention, then you cannot fail. Any roadblocks are not blocks at all, they are opportunities. If we see them as blocks, they defeat us.

Even at home, you can still be on a good path if your intentions are good.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

I am spiritual but non-religious

Religion is not "belief in God." I have seen many many religious people who simply ignore the tenets of their religion. Religious denominations are country clubs for those who want to believe, but don't believe. Hence, why I rarely attend church services.

I'm not saying churches do not have their place. For those with trouble believing, a church can be a great source of faith. For hose who tend to forget their way, a regular church service can be a reminder to come back to the true path. I have, myself, been in both categories in my life, and I do not degrade those who attend a church in any way. I actually encourage it whenever possible.

All I am saying was said by Paul himself in I Corinthians 13:11-12:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
    For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

None of us has the answer... many of us have a small part of the puzzle. However, we tend to segregate ourselves according to the pieces we have, instead of coming together to talk and reason and try to understand more together than we do apart. We call that "religion," and ascribe it to God, but that is not always correct.

According to Paul, our goal is not to wallow in our limited knowledge, but to seek out more about our Creator. We are to grow and develop in the spirit, as we grow and develop in our physical bodies and minds. Those minds cannot grow unless we experience life; those bodies cannot grow unless we use them to push our limits. Likewise, our spiritual awareness cannot grow unless we seek out and learn from others. If there is one God, one Creator, then the fact that He may go by different names should never cast doubt on His existence.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

Intentions are wonderful things. But are they enough? Let's say I intend to build a house. Will my intentions somehow allow me to do so? Or does it take intentions, plus knowledge and effort?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Personally, I find that daily interactions (in real life...not the internet) are what give my life meaning.

Being kind, helping others, spreading love, making people laugh, comforting them when they cannot, etc.

As for me, I personally tried the whole higher-power thing up until I was in my young twenties--it just didn't work for me nor did I find any real sense in it. But, other people do, including my parents and my wife, so I don't knock it for them.

But still, I don't think that they believe that it source of their lifes' meaning and purpose, but more like a tour guide, pointing out cool things to do and ways to act.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Yes - without a higher power my brain ends up in nihilism. I almost feel like I don't have a choice to believe in something higher than myself. I don't think human beings are capable of creating value and meaning on their own, but I have a pretty dark view of man's inherent nature.

Good question!

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I can understand that.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: StillWaitingForGodot

Yes - without a higher power my brain ends up in nihilism.

I go there from time to time. Especially in my day to day interactions with people.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Well said
When I was a teenager I used to poke fun at religion, but as I got older I believed in being respectful of people's beliefs. I was never the religious type, though I always had spiritual experiences. I had one experience of a dark kind that opened my eyes to the truth in the Christian faith. I still do not subscribe to it as a religion, but I realized there is truth in the good vs. evil side of the supernatural.

In a weird way, even when I told people I didn't believe in God (which I honestly didn't,) deep down inside I did. It's almost like I forget about it while I'm out and around and operate on a more logical level, forgetting the 'deep down' part of me that is spiritually connected to that Higher Power and bows and serves it (to my understanding at least) by my spiritual nature. It's baffling to the intellect how this could be, and of course I'm a flawed human being like anyone else. But somehow 'believing' is automatic for me, deep down. I am a spiritual being.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join