It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s bottom-line stats on trade are wrong

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I find it very interesting they have such a transparent and easy to use way to report errors or flaws. I really wish someone did catch something so we could report and see if it is followed up on.

Yeah it would be nice to find a mistake just to see how they handle it. Hopefully, we'll find something soon and follow the process. Should that happen, whoever submits it should post all correspondence in a thread for us to examine.

For SlapMonkey: I respect your decision. I hope you will help us do some fact checking and research in the future. I think picking just one of the eight and posting results would be enough; like I did with the one I posted on the trade deficit.

There are so many of us on these forums and many are very good at research. If there is something wrong with these fact checks we'll find it. If not, we have a news agency that we can trust a tad more than our corporate MSM.

Thanks all for reading again. I'm not going to call this 24/24 for another 6 days, until the next one comes out, so we have time to debunk some of these.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

So please tell me how spending 10xs the amount so we can prosecute the parents is fixing the problem lol????

Well past administrations just let them go, and that didn't fix nothing. Yes money is going to have to be spent to fix the problem.

You think serving 2 months in jail before shipping the back will make them stay away???

A wall would help.

Lol the fix has ALWAYS been to make it unprofitable to employ them..

I agree the one's that hires them should do more than just pay a fine. But it would also create more drug mules in order to make money.

edit on 11-7-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

On the Coast Guard saving 16,000 people during the hurricane:

THE FACTS: There is no indication the Coast Guard was busy saving the lives of foolhardy hurricane gawkers drifting off the Texas coast. Texas officials are baffled at Trump’s words and the Coast Guard does not back them up. Some of the most powerful images from Hurricane Harvey were of flooded Houston streets swarming with volunteer boaters who answered the call of overwhelmed first responders and used their personal watercraft to rescue families from their homes.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Edward Wargo of Houston said the service didn’t take note of how or why people got stranded during Harvey, but said most rescues appeared to occur within city limits and neighborhoods. Republican Gov. Greg Abbott said he had “no information one way or the other” about Trump’s claim that people were on the water to watch Harvey. But the outgoing speaker of the Texas House, Republican Joe Straus, rejected the idea.

Speaking as a Texan with lots of friends in the Houston area, AP is correct. The Coast Guard didn't rescue of 16,000 people (they say the number was 11,000). Texas National Guard was involved and a lot of other organizations were. And there weren't many ships afloat in the area when Harvey came through.

Military.com source

Trump's actual words:

"I think this year the Coast Guard, maybe in terms of increased branding — the brand of the Coast Guard has been something incredible what’s happened," Trump said. "Saved 16,000 people, many of them in Texas, for whatever reason that is. People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn’t work out too well. That didn’t work out too well

* The Coast Guard isn't a brand and has always served in disasters.
* There isn't an alternative or competitor to the Coast Guard (they come whether or not you're aware of them)
* The reason they were saving people in Texas was Hurricane Harvey. We're still recovering from Hurricane Harvey. So is Puerto Rico.
* Trump didn't remember the one disaster area he visited.
* People don't go out in their boats to watch a hurricane. Winds can go over 60 mph, and any owner of a small boat can tell you that nobody goes into that unless by accident.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Sure, I'll debunk them for you:
1) the trade deficit with the EU was 151 billion according to the census bureau The trade deficit overall was 795 billion overall, not the 811 said by trump and not the 565 said by AP.
2) They're debunking hyperbole?
3) They debunk their own spin in the second paragraph.
4) This is a prime example of how pathetic these people are. Were there gawkers. Yes. Was trump saying there were 16,000 of them? No. Where did the 16000 number come from? here. That was lives saved by the coast guard AND the uniformed military.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Read the post above yours.

You were debunked before you even posted.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Learn to read.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Lol, what makes you think facts matter to magats? They wouldn't know a fact if it landed on their head. Seriously this is a group of dimwits who honestly believe there is a cloud being controlling everything and he is on their side. You may as well communicate with a squirrel. They are far more attentive and intellegent a reply to: Kharron

edit on 15-7-2018 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Learn to read.

You should be telling Trump that

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Ok?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

This post should be removed. You've escaped the mud pit without realizing it, it seems.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join