It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first eye glasses OMG it's almost a spiritual experience!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So I picked my first ever eye glasses up from the opticians today, I'm short sighted.
I nearly burst into tears when I put them on and could read the sign on the store across the street from inside the opticians. It's amazing!
I keep taking them off and on again to see the difference, and it blows me away, I can recognise faces across the street, can focus on the leaves on trees, I love them!
They are varifocal so I just look down and raise my head a bit to read things close, so that is taking a bit to get used to, but I'm absolutely over the moon!!!
My big question is what must contact lenses be like? The gods of corrective vision?

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The trees have LEAVES!

Individual ones!

I remember that day, too- I got glasses when I was just a kid... I'll never forget it.

A little over two years ago, I had LASIK (so now I can put on the welding mask AND see!) and I can see better now than I ever could with glasses. Better than 20/20- absolutely crazy to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Contact lenses take some getting used to, and comfort definitely varies by brand. On the other hand, though, I'm getting tired of wearing glasses in the hot-ass Kentucky summer where the thin layer of standard-issue sweat from the humidity is constantly making me adjust my glasses.

I have contacts, but don't wear them often. Even with contacts, you have different types that affect vision differently (I call them "regular" and "HD" lenses).

Enjoy your newfound vision!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Given my chronological disposition I find myself needing some as well.
Your obvious excitement has maxe me think soone rather than later.
Nice one. (Squinting for the reply button)

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Thanks man, it's amazing

...contacts though, I have an aversion to putting something on my eyes, I'm too scared is probably the right explanation lol, I'll enjoy my new vision with glasses for now.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I've worn glasses since high school and gotta say I still find them fascinating. I'm near sighted.
My last set was a bifocal type.
The doctor said I needed them.
Bullssss
I got rid of them after trying for a week.
The sidewalk wasn't where is really was and it distorted objects to me. Me phone was a rhombus not a rectangle.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Given my chronological disposition I find myself needing some as well.
Your obvious excitement has maxe me think soone rather than later.
Nice one. (Squinting for the reply button)

Do it!!!
It really is almost like a spiritual experience, the things I didn't know I couldn't see until today, I genuinely nearly cried, and I'm a mid forties bloke who works in construction lol

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I understand now!
It's only since wearing these glasses today I realised how badly I was focussing on things further away. Honestly, I keep taking them off and on again to see the difference, and it is massive.
The other day, I was with a mate in town and I said 'Ooh she looks hot over the street' and he replied 'She's an emaciated heroin addict mate' then proceeded to rip me badly with banter lol.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I'm still wearing bi-focals and I hate them. I haven't been able to manage stairs properly since I got them; everything is outa focus and looking down makes me go all wobbly. Plays hell with my sense of balance. To actually navigate stairs and worse, escalators, I have to drink about 3 or 4 Margaritas. Then I have no problem whatsoever. So I guess you could say that even when I'm sober, (a disgusting condition), I'm wearing my "drinkin' glasses".

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Tell me please, you haven't been driving without those glasses! Yikes!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I think it's why so many old folks fall down.
They don't see where the sideway or step is actually located and they trip.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I haven't driven for ages, banned myself for other reasons though, I have occassional blackouts for a few seconds, no way I want to kill myself or some innocent person!
Glasses are amazing though

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yea, I figured that out. The other reason they fall down a lot is because they don't drink enough.

I've managed to avoid THAT problem!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Very glad to see (No pun intended) you're enjoying your new glasses.

So I'm researching Cornwall and discovered that there's a Celtic Cornwall Nationalist Movement! Cool. So then I did more research and learned that to travel to Cornwall I have to fly to the only airport at Newquay! Cheapest flight is $1,700.00. It takes me from Houston to Chicago O'Hair and from their to Edinburgh which I thought was in Scotland. And then by some puddle jumper airline called Flybe 675. Might want to consider rail from Edinburgh.

Interesting. I hate flying.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Dude. That’s awesome! So glad for you.

Now you kinda understand those commercials for the charity that gives glasses to third world people that can’t see.

It changes lives.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Very glad to see (No pun intended) you're enjoying your new glasses.

So I'm researching Cornwall and discovered that there's a Celtic Cornwall Nationalist Movement! Cool. So then I did more research and learned that to travel to Cornwall I have to fly to the only airport at Newquay! Cheapest flight is $1,700.00. It takes me from Houston to Chicago O'Hair and from their to Edinburgh which I thought was in Scotland. And then by some puddle jumper airline called Flybe 675. Might want to consider rail from Edinburgh.

Interesting. I hate flying.

Haha yes we are remote, only one rail line here as well, and that is often closed in winter because it is a beautiful line following the sea wall in many parts, the waves batter it. £1700 seems decent to me if it is a return. You could make your vacation really cheap after that, just bring a tent and then camp on a beach!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spader
Dude. That’s awesome! So glad for you.

Now you kinda understand those commercials for the charity that gives glasses to third world people that can’t see.

It changes lives.

I sooo get it now, vision, wow, I'd prefer to go deaf than blind anyday.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

After some research..........I'd definitely take the train. Flybe has had two incidents recently and they're a big money loser which probably means they aren't doing much preventative maintenance.

Now that you have the glasses, you could do Deer Hunting! When is Deer season?

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Nothing better than first getting glasses, and realizing this is how others see.

Until then, you just have no base for comparison, so you don't KNOW you have bad vision.

For contacts, it's a bit different. But they are cool. Just take some getting used to, and have their own issues.

I only use them if I'm doing something where glasses may fall off (like going to theme parks, or in the water), or when doing costumes, etc. (I'm a geek, so I cosplay).

Otherwise, glasses are just easier.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Mostly August to end of April for stags, and November to March Hinds. You need a licence though. I'm not sure a tourist can do it easily.
...but yes, I could actually spot a deer in the forest now lol!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join