It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple injuries in South Africa plane crash

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
To say I'm staggered at this finding is an understatement. The command pilot is very experienced and professional with ten's of thousands of hours experience. To have not aborted takeoff with fluctuating manifold pressure is bad enough, but to have then become confused about which engine was on fire despite having someone tell them and then do nothing seems very odd. Perhaps they thought it was a false alarm and were preoccupied with the manifold pressure issue? The paperwork failure isn't excusable unless there was confusion about whether it had been granted. Failing to do a basic competency check is a no no in virtually any developed country like Sth Africa. Especially as the pilot knows full well that it is a requirement from where he comes from and has I believed acted as a check captain himself. The aircraft not having flown for 5 months may be excusable IF they had carried out ground runs and system tests and nothing had showed up, sometimes s##t happens. Sure were a lot of Swiss cheese holes in this one.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

The aircraft not having flown is the one thing in the report that didn't blow me away. I can see many reasons for that, and they said the museum it was going to was satisfied with the ground runs, and all appeared normal before the mishap flight.
edit on 9/9/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Yeah agreed. I just reread the FG article. My god the breakdown in CRM was appalling. The captain wasn't sure the gear was down and the engineer who wasn't even rated on type was playing with switches as everybody else sat there like dummies watching him and did nothing. They didn't even feather the damn prop, the engine RPM was fluctuating and the master caution fire light was blinking and buzzing away. And what the hell was the skipper thinking when he thought he would turn back for an emergency landing when his aileron cables were going slack from heat? Thats something I would expect from a rookie in some godforsaken part of Africa, not a crew with their level of training and experience. I get the feeling I'm going to be hearing about this in my next Human Factors recurrence training in a weeks time.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

I'm not sure you can call this a breakdown in CRM. You usually have to have some kind of CRM for there to be a breakdown.

<< 1   >>

join