It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein's Theory of Gravity Passes Toughest Test to Date

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Sick of seeing the entire board dominated by politics so I am trying to contribute non-political matter to read on here.. I found this interesting - Einstein's theory of Gravity is once gain proven correct through observations in space.

Einstein's Theory of Gravity Passes Latest Test

The researchers tracked the pulsar's movements by monitoring its radio-wave emissions. They did this for six years, using the Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope in the Netherlands, the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia and the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico. "We can account for every single pulse of the neutron star since we began our observations," study leader Anne Archibald, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Amsterdam and the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, said in a statement. "And we can tell its location to within a few hundred meters. That is a really precise track of where the neutron star has been and where it is going."

A violation of the equivalence principle would manifest as a distortion in the pulsar's orbit — a difference between the neutron star's path and that of its interior white-dwarf companion. This distortion would cause the pulsar radiation to arrive at a slightly different time than expected. But the researchers didn't detect any such distortion. "If there is a difference, it is no more than 3 parts in a million," co-author Nina Gusinskaia, a doctoral student at the University of Amsterdam, said in the same statement.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DoubleDNH

I'm a door in physics but thank you for bringing some fresh air to ATS.

S+F!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

That man had crazy hair and a great mind!

Its good to know that he will be remembered primarily for the latter, than the former.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Fun # going on out there

The pulsar, which rotates 366 times per second, co-orbits on the interior with one of the white dwarfs; the pair circles a common center of mass every 1.6 Earth days. This duo is in a 327-day orbit with the other white dwarf, which lies much farther away.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I kinda think Einstein is over rated..

Sure he had one of the best realizations in human history.... or maybe he just made a leap and was accidentally right lol..

That said I don’t think he could polish issac Newton’s boots..

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Pretty sure that is bait, but ill bite regardless to give you some sense of reality since your entire post demonstrates you know nothing much about either man.

It is known quite well that Isaac Newton spent more time trying to perform alchemy and mysticism than physics and, for his troubles, not achieving very much with his time. While he did write a text on some very great things, he was elevated in his own time to positions he really was not suited for. He was socially inept and had an ego of extreme magnitude according to things written about him at the time. He would give lectures to empty theatres at Oxford because most of the students couldn't stand him and his lecturing was largely boring and badly structured. It was more efficient to learn the concepts from the books than it was to go to his lectures. But apparently that didn't bother him, he thought of himself as someone who couldn't be wrong, and would give his lectures to the air because he thought it important that he spoke.

By all modern definitions, if you was a lecturer at a University today who was like this, you'd be considered a peculiar outcast and not a hero of science, regardless of how groundbreaking your text was.

It is funny how people have been made into legends so many years after. There are lots of historical figures who didn't do everything that todays schools say they did.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Sure he had one of the best realizations in human history.... or maybe he just made a leap and was accidentally right lol..

Well , he did do the math.....
That lent credence to his theory.
Actually , Einstein improved greatly on Newton's Laws . Made them valid you could say.
With math
Not "realizations"

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
So , the space/time fabric exists. Gravity influences the space/time fabric , and these tests make it difficult for alternate theories to take shape
Good.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

The idea of a reference frame wouldn't exist without Newton.

Ergo, Einstein's "relative ideas" wouldn't have been pondered at all.

You can dislike his personality all day, but Newton contributed to humanity far more than anyone in this thread.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

The critical ideas regarding general relativity were floating around form the previous decade(about 1895- 1905).

Einstein simply made the clearest exposition on the topic and set the full modern context.

There are lots of others who made major contributions before and after him like Poincare and Lorentz.

Probably a dozen other names that deserve mentioning but Einstein really pushed the idea much further than anyone else by a long measure.
edit on 11-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I don't know about that, given Newtons other interests I think it's more likely that he was the one who made an accidental discovery.

top topics

join