It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme re-occurring gut pain that seem to start between 2-3am - What could cause this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I've had this strange health issue since I started school as a child and remember it starting at least when I was in first grade, maybe earlier but don't remember b/c of being so young, etc. It seemed to happen about 5-8 times a year. What happens is that I usually wake (always right around 2 am) up and feel a little odd in my lower gut, like intestines, and I don't know if it is just gas or what it is at that time. Over a few mins it gradually builds and the cramps start to happen more frequently and more intense until it is extremely bad and I know I'm having one of these "attacks" again.

So I end up in the bathroom and I usually experience 20-30 mins of extreme cramps and pain, I sweat profusely and am extremely hot but my skin is cold and clammy. I often get light headed, dry mouth, sometimes colors look odd, like coming down from a psychedelic trip and I feel extremely confined by any clothing, like extremely confined for some reason. I have the opposite of constipation in these cases after the 20-30 mins (sorry....) and the pain continues for usually another 20-30 mins, so about 60-80 mins from the time I awake with slight pains - and the pain is basically gone at this point. It takes about 8-12 hours before I stop feeling totally horrible (I usually sleep), like I have the flu.

I go back to bed and usually in 10-20 mins I usually have the same pains, and end up back in the bathroom for 10-15 mins. This cycle continues 3-4 times after the first time in the bathroom. After I go back to bed the last time I feel extremely drained (energy wise) and overall feel completely horrible like I have the flu. I sometimes feel nauseated at this time but rarely ever vomit. On occasion I do vomit while in the bathroom but I think it is because the pain is so intense, on top of feeling sick all over.

So the odd thing is that this happened from 1-12 grade, then when I left for college and about 4 years after, I never had this issue once. When I moved back to the home area after about 10 years I started getting this problem again and on occasion it happened during the day, always mid morning around 10. I'd say 95%+ of the time this has happened around 2am, the rest in the morning.

When it started happening when I moved back to my home town, I thought that I was being poisoned or something, b/c I couldn't understand how I didn't have this once in the last 10 years. My diet had been much worse when I left for college, odd eating times, bad food, drinking, etc. In grade schools I had a set schedule, ate well, with family at a standard time (maybe 7-7:30 or so) and a normal sleep schedule. In college and after, I had totally erratic sleep and eating schedules.

When I experienced food poisoning a number of times after going to college, I found that the experience was very similar to these episodes that happen at night. I did get food poisoning a number of times in the 10 years I didn't have the late night gut pains, so I did experience similar issues, but they didn't happen as the other episodes had happened.

I know that all the times I've had these issues at night, the other people I ate dinner with didn't experience the same thing, no one I've eaten with has had the same issues. I thought for a time there was a chance that I might have been poisoned, not like food poisoning, but real chemical type. I've talked to many doctors and even had numerous tests (colonoscopy and such) from the time I was young but they never showed anything. I have been told that I have gall stones and it has been suggested that I have my gall bladder removed, but I am hesitant to go down that path. The odd thing is that I've been told that these attacks can happen to people who have had their gall bladder removed in a small portion of people who have that done. My pain that is associated from the gall bladder is totally different and is at the base of the sternum where there is intense pain/cramping - which makes me sweat and get hot the same as when I have the gut issues at night.

I've spent hundreds of hours between going to doctors and researching online what this might be, let alone the hours spent in agony. I've never found a link between what I eat and the late night pain, as it varied with every meal and none that seemed to trigger this.

What seems the oddest is the time that this happens, always around 2am and I'm usually up until about 3:30-4. I even had this once while on vacation in Europe as a child but attributed it to a heavy meal (lots of rich cheese) but no one else of the 12 suffered from this. I'm wondering if there is any environmental issue which could cause this or if there may be some external substance which might cause this (chemical acting as a poison??) - or a medical condition. It's horrible to have to search in forums for others who have had similar or may know, when the doctors don't.

edit on 7 9 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Extreme cramping, and relief after using the toilet ?

Intestinal blockage. That self corrects.

Doctors SHOULD know.

This has happened to me, but never lasted for hours or to that degree

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

It's not quite the same but I get fairly bad gut pain from most of the things I eat these days. I'll wake up puking burning acid puke. I've found taking a spoonful of baking soda before bed, eating earlier and drinking waterr in the evening helps.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Well, the solution is quite simple actually. You even said it yourself already...

"...odd eating times, bad food, drinking, etc. "

That'll be $492 dollars please (your insurance only pays $51 bucks on this consultation).

NOTE: I am not a doctor, but I do play one in the bedroom.

VISA and Mastercard accepted.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Well, the solution is quite simple actually. You even said it yourself already...

"...odd eating times, bad food, drinking, etc. "

That'll be $492 dollars please (your insurance only pays $51 bucks on this consultation).

NOTE: I am not a doctor, but I do play one in the bedroom.

VISA and Mastercard accepted.

So are you telling me I need to go back to eating like crap, eating at odd hours and drinking? IDK if you read it correctly but that was the only time I didn't have it.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Are you lactose intolerant?

I can eat cheese, sour cream, yogurts...

But if I even touch a spoonful of ice cream to my mouth, or think I can down a glass of milk....
The day is pretty much a wrap.
Not doing nothing that day or going anywhere.
Its just me and the mud bucket.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Precisely, my dear Watson!

Oh, and the follow up consultation will only be $161

ETA...you're pretty quick on the uptake, huh?

edit on 7/9/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Have you tried probiotics?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Avoid wheats, milk, and sugar for a few days, see if that helps. My husband was going through something similar, and he's been eating just rice, meats, and veggies for the last few days, and he's been feeling better lately.

The doc just said irritable bowel system, which is anything from parasites to gas 😕

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
First of all, forget about going to medical doctors, they know very little about nutrition. In fact, they aren't even required to take even one course in nutrition during their college years. I would recommend finding a reputable nutritionist first.

Second, many people are unable to eat after a certain time of night. The foods eaten aren't the issue here, it's the digestion issue that comes into play. For example many people experience acid reflux if they lie down after eating.

I know you've been to doctors and I am sure they've mentioned that any number of disorders can cause you to experience stomach discomfort/pain at night. It may result from a food allergy or bowel disorders, heartburn or more serious conditions such as an abdominal aneurysm or a tumor. Stomach discomfort could originate anywhere from your mouth to your spleen. It may involve only your stomach or could be caused by irritation in your intestines, liver, appendix, kidneys.

Heartburn is the most common and can definitely feel like the flue. When stomach acid backs up, it can block your esophagus and cause discomfort in your belly region with burning sensations from the bile. Heartburn often becomes more pronounced when you lie down, especially if you've eaten shortly before going to bed. Eating foods such as hot peppers, chocolate, citrus fruits, onions, tomatoes or greasy food at night can lead to heartburn and stomach pain. A hiatal hernia is a condition that causes part of your stomach to push up through your diaphragm and also causes heartburn at night.

Another common one is IBS Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, describes a myriad of conditions that could be affecting your stomach and cause you discomfort at the end of the day. IBS often is exacerbated by stress, so if you've had a difficult day, your stomach discomfort may worsen. Other indications that you may suffer from IBS include stomach bloating that continues throughout the day and seems to decrease overnight after you've slept. It also may cause constipation or diarrhea. Other symptoms include headaches, sleep disruptions, passing urine more often and nausea.

Nighttime stomach pain is common when you have a peptic ulcer, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Peptic ulcers are caused by an infection from the helicobacter pylori bacteria, also called H. pylori, or by long-term overuse of anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or aspirin. Many of the symptoms are similar to heartburn and occur after eating spicy or greasy foods. Besides stomach discomfort, you may experience belching, vomiting and unexplained weight loss. Stress also adds to the discomfort. You should avoid caffeine, alcohol and irritating foods at night to prevent symptoms, but seek immediate medical attention if you also start vomiting blood or have a sharp stabbing pain in your abdomen.

I would say if you experience difficulty breathing, chest pain or stomach pain that is more severe than what you describe I'd say head to the emergency room WHILE it's happening. This way it will give them the chance to try and pin point the issue.

As far as eliminating food groups (White, wheat, sugar, pasta, etc.). That is bro-science. Unless you've been officially diagnosed with a food intolerance, no specific food groups should cause you this problem.

Last, very simple... if you're using to drinking water before bed, stop. I have heard stories from people who seriously get severe stomach issues when they lay down after drinking water.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I get this a lot. For me it is kidney stones. Right now i have one that is 8mmx4mm. Tomorrow they blast it out.

I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Do you drink anything like bottles of Mountain Dew? I used to drink a couple each evening (the 500ml). The citric acid in those drinks would make my digestive system bloat so much that I couldn't even breath while lying down in bed. I couldn't sleep because of the "crackles" in my sinuses that sounded like when you eat Moondust (that candy that would make a popping sound when you ate it). "crackles" is also a medical term for the popping sound that doctors hear with a stethoscope when your lungs are clogged up with fluid.

I also had an addiction to mineral water before that. That would give me the bends - I'd wake up with aching joints.

I've tried drinking fresh orange juice from the carton. A couple of glasses would put me to sleep for a few hours.

Anything spicy or with undercooked red meat or that gives off gas (chili con carne or a curry) can give cramps. Falling asleep after a meal is also bad.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Could be diverticulitis, my wife had similar symptoms and that's what it was.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I would say it is plant defense chemistry that causes that, because if I eat a lot of green food chemistry I get the same problem. I love cucumbers, but if I eat even one whole cucumber in a day that happens. I get the same problem if I eat a lot of fruit or veggies, so I now eat maybe one serving a day max of these things. Potatoes do not effect me like this, but stuff like carrot juice in excess can.

I am a Finn, in Northern Finland and far north scandanavian countries, they have genetics for aip porphyria which can cause gut pain. also some of the other symptoms you had. You just can't eat a real lot of plant chemistry or drink a lot of alcohol, otherwise you can get some bad side effects. Medicines are more apt to interact with this genetic inconvenience.

www.porphyriafoundation.com...

I had this kick in when I was on the meds for my epilepsy, those meds are contradicted if you have the condition, causing it to bother me with side effects. Folate is essential for the third stage of bloodmaking, one of those meds blocked folate as a part of the design. Eating a lot of plant based chemistry can cause the pain and cramping too. This condition never has to bother most people if you eat correctly. I do not know if this is what you have, only explaining a possibility.

You could also have bezoars, try drinking a couple of cokes in a day, it will help disolve the bezoars.

Pay attention to what you ate the day before.
edit on 9-7-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Do you drink anything like bottles of Mountain Dew? I used to drink a couple each evening (the 500ml). The citric acid in those drinks would make my digestive system bloat so much that I couldn't even breath while lying down in bed. I couldn't sleep because of the "crackles" in my sinuses that sounded like when you eat Moondust (that candy that would make a popping sound when you ate it). "crackles" is also a medical term for the popping sound that doctors hear with a stethoscope when your lungs are clogged up with fluid.

I also had an addiction to mineral water before that. That would give me the bends - I'd wake up with aching joints.

I've tried drinking fresh orange juice from the carton. A couple of glasses would put me to sleep for a few hours.

Anything spicy or with undercooked red meat or that gives off gas (chili con carne or a curry) can give cramps. Falling asleep after a meal is also bad.

I get reactions to citric acid and tomatoes too, usually they bother my skin and make my gut feel yucky if I consume too much. I can drink maybe four ounces of OJ or have a little tomato on a salad but not much. Tomato has a similar chemistry to citric acid.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Any new medications? Maybe your local pharmacy carries a generic version of something you use often but used to get a different version of when not home? or vice versa?

sounds like irritable bowl syndrome. Maybe its provoked by a natural deformity or similar contortion to the intestines.

It also sounds like you need a camera down your tubes to look for gremlins. You may need minor corrective surgery to your small intestine.

edit on 7 9 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I wasn't going to reply to you but decided you should have as many possible solutions to fix your health issues as you can.

There is a guy named Cole Robinson who has a fasting based protocol called the SnakeDiet. He doesn't charge any money

for the info at all. He is getting amazing results from lots of people from all over that have had all kinds of bad gut

problems and many other serious health issues. He is in Canada and has Facebook and YouTube pages. Be warned, he

has a potty mouth and yells a lot to get peoples attention, but he genuinely wants to help people and it's worth a look

to find a real solution to your health problems.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Ummm...do you wake up with sleep paralysis...?

Remember...that seems to be the favorite time span for deep probing from ET...

Or so I've heard...

Apparently they're DigginFoTroof...up yonder...

YouSir
edit on 9-7-2018 by YouSir because: the truth...MUST...be told...

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Is something about living at home upsetting you?
I mean, if you never got it when you lived away from home.....

What is different about home life and any other places you've been...and remained healthy?

top topics

join