It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possible impacts of American and Chinese tariffs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I was watching Meet the Press and saw some very interesting stats having to do with products we get from China and what not. 20% 1 in 5 of American household items have the made in China tag on them. With Clothing/shoes its 35%. Add that with the speculation that Household appliaces are predicted to go up in price to 20-25%. I spoke with my Uncle about this and he was saying that Steel has already gone up in price. And since we are having relationship problems with Canada Wood is getting crazy expensive as well.

Another stat I heard to keep in mind is that President Trumps approval rating on the economy is at 51% while his overall job rating is at 40%. The rocking and roaring economy might be the best thing Preisdent Trump can hang his hat on. I havent heard or seen anyone say that we the consumers are not going to feel the pain in prices with these tariff's coming. So my question is will President Trump be able to hang his hat on the economy if we the consumer (voter) is paying more for our eveyday goods/products? Even though I do see the benefit of this in th elong term there will almost assuredly be pain in the short term that we the consumer will feel.

(and if democrats were smart they would pick up the tariff football and run with this in the mid terms, but there not)
edit on 8-7-2018 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
As long as the economy grows at the current rate, or even higher, it shouldn't be a huge blow. Certain sectors, like the soybean producers for example, will be affected more than others.

The fact of the matter is that there is an unfair trade imbalance, and our trading "partners" are not going to budge voluntary. It has decimated our middle class manufacturing base.

What are other options to deal with the problem?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
We transitioned out to cheaper junk around the 90's. It's going to take a little time to ramp back into production, though we are littered with empty factories. If we press forward, a year or two before we see positive results I believe. We can subsidize and tax benefit our own.... a lot of incentive. Funny how fast money can relocate...

a reply to: American-philosopher

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If Chinese produced goods go up, then buy from elsewhere. Whether you like Trump's policy, or not, what he is doing is throwing a cat amongst the pigeons. The economic scales have been weighted against the USA, especially from China, where currency manipulation has created an huge trade imbalance.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
We transitioned out to cheaper junk around the 90's. It's going to take a little time to ramp back into production, though we are littered with empty factories. If we press forward, a year or two before we see positive results I believe. We can subsidize and tax benefit our own.... a lot of incentive. Funny how fast money can relocate...

We can't even get American companies to stay in America now. Despite Trumps threats, Harly Davidson moved to Thailand.

What's that tell you?

Trickle down and a trade war will bring the American economy to it's knees. Maybe the Space Force can save us....lol!!

edit on 8-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Nobody can say for a fact what will happen. I hope it levels the playing field against China. Those thievin, counterfitin, currency manipulatin turds needs to have a big stick upside their heads.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

We can't even get American companies to stay in America now. Despite Trumps threats, Harly Davidson moved to Thailand.

Do you really believe that's an accurate statement?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

Yep....I think the corporate neocon oligarchy see's Trump as a pathetic insecure charlatan.

www.foxbusiness.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... m=.db6750550f7d

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yep....I think the corporate neocon oligarchy see's Trump as a pathetic insecure charlatan.

www.foxbusiness.com...

How do you plan to counter the unfair trade practices of other countries that are taking advantage of the United States? Do you think that the positive effects of tariffs will be seen immediately or would it be wiser to take a couple of years to see how this works out?

Right now people on the Left have zero solutions and zero vision. It is very shortsighted to assume only policies that provide instant gratification are best.
edit on 2018/7/8 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

That's ultimately the point. The spur growth painfully.

The way I see it, if we're getting gutted and ignoring the painful reality of it, perhaps a hair tug of common sense may get them to see the why and force them to grow.

Short term pain for long term netflix and chill.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

How do you plan to counter the unfair trade practices of other countries that are taking advantage of the United States? Do you think that the positive effects of tariffs will be seen immediately or would it be wiser to take a couple of years to see how this works out?

I don't think the US economy can withstand a 2 year trade war with the enormous inflation it will bring.

Middle America is already starting to complain....

www.theguardian.com...

www.sacbee.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

www.foxbusiness.com...

You really should stop pushing BS, its getting tiresome.

We already have a thread on Harley, so your link is crap. However, I will state that the link just says, "Hey, we're building a factory in Thailand as a result of demand, because we also have a global footprint. US manufactoring and industry won't be affected."
Seriously, thats all it is and if you think it proves anything beyond just that, you're naive.

Your second link basic crux is this,

"But the firm said Monday that it was shifting more production overseas specifically to blunt the impact of the tariffs imposed by Europe."

This is aside from the thailand issue and is only brought up as feed for leftist. It bares no impact on the whole point of Harley trying to do something in response to Tariffs, which Trump is firm on.

Seriously, you couldn't even discern something as simple as that from the links, rubbish.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You can't convince me this is a bad thing by saying that prices will rise and we'll have a soybean shortage...

I have 2 choices, from what I can see:

- We allow the worlds countries to continue making money off of the US via imports and cheap goods which doesn't seem all that well vetted because we're still getting poisoned goods from places like China. Meanwhile, farmers in our own country can hardly compete with low price goods from other countries that might not even be good for us. They don't have the restrictions that we do in the US that intities like the EPA and whoever to hold them to our standards. I know this because of the constant recalls we've had with poisoned goods from China and abroad.

- We stop countries from killing off our distributors and manufacturers with cheap, probably lower quality goods. Prices may rise but there are no shortages of soybean fields in Louisiana that can easily make up for any loss in imports. Remember, through these trade agreements, many states and businesses were affected for the worse when we started allowing other countries to take over the trades while the people we already had here producing those same goods were basically told "Tough luck... now screw off".

Prices may rise but I believe they will even out at some near point in time. Remember... If prices rise, it goes back in the economy regardless, for the most part. It would be nice to be able to rely on our own merit while not having to worry about whether or not our goods, our clothes, our shoes and more aren't made by children in some slave factory in another country that we have ZERO control over.

I think that people who are against Trump and this change have seemed to have forgotten all of the injustices and morally wrong practices by the countries they want to protect.

America First!

We have homeless... We have the ill... We have the downtrodden, the broken, the poor and so much more to worry about than slave markets in another country losing our business.

This is no different than how so many were SO angry at WalMart from destroying mom and pop companies for their own greed, and oh how we failed to stand up and peep a word and just let it happen without resistance. Now that Trump wants to turn it around and bring prosperity back to the people of this country, people are bent out of shape. If Obumer or any other recent democrat would have done it, they would all be on board. Hell, I would have given them kudos, but they didn't. They didn't because the American people were apparently not worthy and in no way important.

Trump does and people are going all War of the Worlds on him.

Don't worry Dems... You'll get your chance to mess it all up once you guys get back in office. Why not at least shut the hell up and see where this goes before you push blame. His ideas are not as irrational as many of you believe. You just hate the brand and couldn't give 2 $#!^s that it might actually be good for you and your offspring!

I for one am willing to take that chance. It looks and smells a hell of alot better than I've seen in the past many, many years!

...For once.. I'm not embarrassed to live in this country. For once, I feel it's coming out from being a total $#!^hole.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

I don't think the US economy can withstand a 2 year trade war with the enormous inflation it will bring.

Middle America is already starting to complain....

www.theguardian.com...

www.sacbee.com...

Biased.... I'm not complaining. I'm middle america. Wait... No... Scratch that. I'm still complaining about the BS that was shoved down our throats without a say during the last administration.

But as for Trump's "antics", I've seen a wealth of good coming from it and not just in my company but many others.

I'm middle America. Why not ask me?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What trickle down?

Beside a couple of pieces we read on it, everyone else seems to be using their tax cuts to build factories elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Way more than one in five american household items were made in china or contain a high percent of China made parts. I suppose many people have antiques in their homes, we have lots of old stuff and we still have one in five things made in China. Lots of the stuff we import from Japan is built in factories in China, most of the Japanese motorcycles have major factories in China. Lots of Japanese car parts are manufactured there too, Japan buys a real lot of stuff from China, so do many countries. Direct from China may be only twenty percent, but a lot of businesses worldwide have China produce products for them that they sell to US citizens, We bought made in Italy that actually is produced mostly in China. But it says made in Italy on it. Lots of reselling going on in the world.

We need to start producing more of our own crap.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Here's a side effect no one has mentioned...

Less infrastructure and mechanical failures due to crappy foreign steel.

American steel is coming back in a big way which is great for not just this country but everyone because

American steel is the best hands down.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Way more than one in five american household items were made in china or contain a high percent of China made parts.

My sister from England remarked on her visit to an American Indian museum in Wisconsin, that all the Indian trinkets and souvenir were made in China. She asked whether there was anything made by the locals. The answer was "er, sorry Ma'am".

Surely anyone can see that the Chinese have monopolised retail goods in the US, where once a local producer would have had a market. This policy of low cost goods that creates a dependency and low price expectation, is unhealthy.
edit on 9/7/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

No Japanese steel is the best in the world generally but it does depend on what the steel is used for.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

www.foxbusiness.com...

You really should stop pushing BS, its getting tiresome.

We already have a thread on Harley, so your link is crap. However, I will state that the link just says, "Hey, we're building a factory in Thailand as a result of demand, because we also have a global footprint. US manufactoring and industry won't be affected."
Seriously, thats all it is and if you think it proves anything beyond just that, you're naive.

Your second link basic crux is this,

"But the firm said Monday that it was shifting more production overseas specifically to blunt the impact of the tariffs imposed by Europe."

This is aside from the thailand issue and is only brought up as feed for leftist. It bares no impact on the whole point of Harley trying to do something in response to Tariffs, which Trump is firm on.

Seriously, you couldn't even discern something as simple as that from the links, rubbish.

Yes , isn't it hilarious folks don't even read their OWN links ?
I was about to post what you did , yet I was late to the party...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join