It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Heat records all over by 10 degrees

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Maybe I should have said drastic climate change and not Global warming I see my mistake now .

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Do those records go back 5 billion or so years?

Talk about not accepting.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Breaking records where you are doesn't mean it is 10 degrees hotter everywhere.

That's true, but when there are consistently far more all time high temperature records set as opposed to all time low temperature records, it's...interesting.

In the last 365 days in the US there have been 157 all time high records set and 21 all time lows.
In the last 365 days globally there have been 338 all time high records set and 48 all time lows.

All time records. Highest ever. Not daily highs, not "hottest 4th of July." Not hottest for the month, not hottest for year. Hottest ever.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

I've been posting these statistics for a few years now. It's been quite consistent. Way more all time highs than all time lows.

edit on 7/6/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
a reply to: pavil

I shipped live fish into Bridgewater Mass on Monday 7-2 it was 108 .
link to Bridgewater MA temps

Are you talking actual temp or heat index? It was 91 there on the second according to the website. The 1st was hotter at 97. I'm just going by data I find.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have to check Highs and lows , The High was 110 my customer told me it was 108 and that they are in a heat wave .

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

We had snow four weeks into April ... but that's just weather.

Our summer is not outside the norm for a drought year.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

In 73-75 I had a teacher in college that hammered the whole global cooling thing into our brains. It was not even part of the course, but he spent half of his lecture time on that topic. He was on a mission from god to alert the planet all the trees north of the Canadian border would be dead by 2000 and billions would starve by then due to no arable land. Oil was supposed to run completely out by 2014. He made us memorize entire pages of stuff and our tests were writing it down verbatim.

Global cooling was pushed very hard in the early 70's and at least where I went, it was taught as fact. I actually accepted it as fact, even found books espousing it for years after. It was only well into the 80's when I realized it was fiction. It should not be hard to understand why it left a bad taste in many peoples mouths.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It is called SUMMER
Here in Georgia we have returned to the normal of 90+ every day. I kind of got tired of the upper 70s and lower 80s of the past years.
Gives me a reason to stay home...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I have to check Highs and lows , The High was 110 my customer told me it was 108 and that they are in a heat wave .

Then I'm guessing they were talking heat index. You can look at the data. It's hot, but not 110 hot

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I hate it windows open,no air, too hot and can't sleep.
Give me snow

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
MAybe people think it's getting hotter because they spend the majority of their time sitting in air conditioning.,

People aren't acclimated like they use to be.
edit on 6-7-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Again NOAA. Are they all time highs, or just the highest recorded accurately in recent times, since real data has been measured and kept instead of relying on anecdotal evidence.

Remember the NOAA averages are given out already weighted, factoring in data that is best guess at best IMO.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

originally posted by: amazing

So global warming isn't a thing ?

Sure. It sure does get hot and hotter. But is that man-made?

The Earth has gone through cyclical climates for millennia. Didn't you learn that in elementary school? We had a fairly recent iceage, so now the sea level is rising, and that's normal.

We've only been recording temperatures for a very short period of time compared to how long we've survived these climates.

Except actual Scientists look at ice core samples and tree rings and other indicators and have a pretty good idea what the climate was hundreds, thousands, even millions of years ago. Actual scientists have written thousands of peer reviews scientific papers that indicate that most of this recent warming is man made. I learned in school that it's generally good to listen to scientists over bloggers and news pundits.

Except "actual scientists" don't agree on this. As a matter of fact "actual scientists" are very very often wrong. I implore you to go back to the 70's and listen to what "actual scientists" told us about where we'd be at today. Seriously, do it.

That said, I'm an "actual scientist" because I've been in the field observing physics for decades.

Btw, "you learned in school" xyz. I learned in school that white people were devils, that Al Gore was a prophet, and that the most important part of journalism is selling the story over facts. Be careful of what people teach you. Think critically.

WH Memo 9/17/1969: "It is now pretty clearly agreed that the C02 content will rise 25% by 2000.”
If that wasn't enough...
This was a speech by President Lyndon B. Johnson, titled Special Message to the Congress on Conservation and Restoration of Natural Beauty, given on February 8, 1965

Air pollution is no longer confined to isolated places. This generation has altered the composition of the atmosphere on a global scale through radioactive materials and a steady increase in carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels. Entire regional airsheds, crop plant environments, and river basins are heavy with noxious materials. Motor vehicles and home heating plants, municipal dumps and factories continually hurl pollutants into the air we breathe. Each day almost 50,000 tons of unpleasant, and sometimes poisonous, sulfur dioxide are added to the atmosphere, and our automobiles produce almost 300,000 tons of other pollutants.

But hey some idiot media outlets hyped ICE AGE NOW and 45+ years later people are using it as propaganda to cast doubt on science.

On the internet.
A thing resulting from scientific research.
First developed by the government and universities.
Younger than the science that tells us adding CO2 to the atmosphere will redistribute heat nearer to the surface.

Kind of ironic.
edit on 18Fri, 06 Jul 2018 18:25:36 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I'm 2 min from the beach in Long Beach .Ca and it 4;30 pm

edit on 7/6/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
It is called SUMMER
Here in Georgia we have returned to the normal of 90+ every day. I kind of got tired of the upper 70s and lower 80s of the past years.

No. It's not called SUMMER anymore. We have a new season -- Global Warming. It has replaced summer, and sometimes spring and fall too.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

So global warming isn't a thing ?

Sure. It sure does get hot and hotter. But is that man-made?

The Earth has gone through cyclical climates for millennia. Didn't you learn that in elementary school? We had a fairly recent iceage, so now the sea level is rising, and that's normal.

We've only been recording temperatures for a very short period of time compared to how long we've survived these climates.

Except actual Scientists look at ice core samples and tree rings and other indicators and have a pretty good idea what the climate was hundreds, thousands, even millions of years ago. Actual scientists have written thousands of peer reviews scientific papers that indicate that most of this recent warming is man made. I learned in school that it's generally good to listen to scientists over bloggers and news pundits.

This right here ^^^^^^^
Listen to REAL science from REAL scientists
Not some overblown , renamed weatherman ....
Climatologist...
I could proclaim myself one . Draw up my own charts. After all , they are MY numbers I can do what I want with them.

Global Warming is the penultimate example of Wizard's First Rule- The wizard Zed explaining how most magic works - (Terry Goodkind from the novel of the same name)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
And ?

IT's 86 here in Indiana.

Mild for July.

edit on 6-7-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Gothmog
It is called SUMMER

No. It's not called SUMMER anymore. We have a new season -- Global Warming. It has replaced summer, and sometimes spring and fall too.

You will get a "kick" out of my post right below yours...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

That's exactly my point. Science is not a consensus. We had scientists warning us about global cooling and the coming ice age, we had scientists warning us about global warming, we had scientists predicting all major marine life would be extinct before 2000, and we had scientists warning us that the coasts would be uninhabitable because of the stench of rotting marine life.

Think critically is all I ask.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: FyreByrd

Are the blackouts from too much strain on the system or rolling blackouts?

It start with rolling blackouts and I've not seen a true blackout for a while (thank you publically owned Department of Water and Power] but this weekend will be a real test of the system.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join