It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. labor shortage is reaching a critical point

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

You do realize that more than half of American workers are employed by small businesses right?

And stop with the mega Corp crap.
Walmart has lower dollar workers.
Try Exxon
Dow
Apple
Steel dynamics
Ford
General motors

Lots of high paid workers.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oh so you are justfying hiring 3rd world immigrant slave labor because people want to gwt paid for what you guys have already admitted is hard work

I see

No sorry. That is not a justification to pay someone low wages.

I don't justify anything it's just reality.
Look in the mirror.
The clothes you are wearing have tags in them.
Where were they made?
The American people with their lust for material items has does this starting in the 50s.
We buy the cheapest priced items without regard.
If you have an issue with the state of world trade and economics talk to your grandparents.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Blessed to be represented by a Union. www.iatse.net...

www.sagaftra.org...

edit on 6-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I used to believe that people were about getting the most bang for their buck, taught to us by our great grandparents.

Our grandparents learned that "Made In China" was cheap goods that would end up costing you three times as much in the end.

Now folks spend fives times as much for crap, just because it has a socially over exaggerated label or image attached to it.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Gotta have that 90 inch plasma.
Or $200 shoes...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Nike could put a lable on the box "made in a factory by underpaid workers and guaranteed to fall apart in six months", and people would still have to have the swoosh. It's sad that lables are now more important than quality.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yup. Not being willing to work for low wages is our bargaining chip

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Sorry for the companies trying to find qualified employees but the bright side is maybe the universities will start teaching job skills or trade schools will pick up the slack..

Nothing is better than a $60k BA that gives you the skills and knowledge to be head fryer at Burger King. There are tons of high paying jobs that can not be filled because of the lack of skill sets.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

My wife's company can't find bank tellers for $13 starting with benefits.
No experience required, they will train you.
Great post graduation job but so many don't want to show up and work.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: olaru12

Yup. Not being willing to work for low wages is our bargaining chip

My union gigs allow me to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams and in turn contribute to the local economy by hiring American workers at far above min. wage. You get what you pay for.

btw....It's my company and I don't hire mooks. I don't care if you have a phd and well qualified.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You think $13 an hour is good pay. If three of us want to move into a 2 bedroom apartment with one of us taking the couch this might be doable. $13 sucks ass compared to the cost of living.

What every 18-25 year old thinks when seeing that job add. No thanks I'd rather sit at home and play video games until mom and dad kick me out.

Maybe pay isn't the problem, maybe It's high rents. We need higher pay or more rebt controlled living situations. Capitalism doesn't care about quality of life. It's a system designed only to generate revenue. Without the support of proper social programs Capitalism is simply cooperate facism.

edit on 6-7-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

If you're 25 you better have a degree or 5 years experience at something.
If your 40, wearing a jumpsuit and not climbing into the cockpit of a fighter jet you probably made some bad decisions in your life.

Nobody is owed a living.
Reality can be a bitch.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Just started a new job at 20 bucks and hour.

I work in the biotechnology field in an R & D department. My position was filled three weeks ago by a guy who had only been here a week, only to quit and go work for Tesla.

There's a lot of options for workers right now. If you don't have a job its because you dont want a job.
This is so true.

Even here in San Antonio, everywhere I go, big fat hiring signs, granted a lot of them are low wage jobs, but thats what our Youth is for and it all starts there.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

If your 40, wearing a jumpsuit and not climbing into the cockpit of a fighter jet you probably made some bad decisions in your life.

I started out in sales after univ. and made an obscene amount of money on straight commission, condos in a tourist town.

It helps to be extremely good looking, full of BS and know people. But even now as a bald, myopic, beer gutted senior citizen. I can sell anything...it's an ART that can be learned by reading 1 [one] book.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

As long as you contribute you deserve ALL the basic perks of survival in a society or the society is a failure needs to be torn apart and a new attempt at being civilized put in it's place.

Healthy food, shelter, health care, some sort of entertainment to keep up morale, and transportation and communication to get to and from your place of contribution as well as some kind of savings to deal with emergencies. This should be the minimum any individual should get for working, be it a fry cook or a CEO.

Since society does not provide that, it is a failure, and we need to rethink how we do things.

I for one do not agree to our current social contract, and neither do most people. Society does not provide a fair equitable trade to it's members for the work contributed by it's members. Eventually the contract will be renegotiated one way or another and a new contract will be written. It's happened many times, and will keep happening til we get it right and find a system that's not so easily corrupted.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Nobody is owed a living.
Reality can be a bitch.

Says the one who sits on top the elitist pyramid in the top 25%. You are narcissistic and clueless when it comes to reality. You are the reason people vote democrat in the first place. Hard for the 75% to vote for those who don't give a crap about them. The more you push that attitude the more you guarantee a future of Government controlled economy.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I started out in sales after univ. and made an obscene amount of money on straight commission, condos in a tourist town.

It helps to be extremely good looking, full of BS and know people.

Some people got it and some people dont.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Well said. I agree 100%. Those who sit in the top 25% have lost touch with reality.

Yet they like to claim that reality means the bottom 75% shouldn't have access to basic necessities and entertainment. The 75% will demand a change sooner rather than later. The working class will not be denied their fair share of the revenue much longer.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Nobody is owed a living.
Reality can be a bitch.

Says the one who sits on top the elitist pyramid in the top 25%. You are narcissistic and clueless when it comes to reality. You are the reason people vote democrat in the first place. Hard for the 75% to vote for those who don't give a crap about them. The more you push that attitude the more you guarantee a future of Government controlled economy.

My first job was $6 an hour.
Minimum was $5.35 I think.
Married at 22
I bought my first house at 28
My first new car was in my mid 30s
I paid for college as I worked
Don't give me that elitist garbage.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

$13 an hour is not much at all.

The job market is in need of workers so bad that it's not uncommon to see restaurants hiring line cooks for $16 an hour. Hell, if you want to drive a truck for a living, companies will pay you to get your CDL, hand you a fat sign-on bonus and pay you $18+ an hour. And that is just for people with very little or no experience.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join