It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. labor shortage is reaching a critical point

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Sorry for the companies trying to find qualified employees but the bright side is maybe the universities will start teaching job skills or trade schools will pick up the slack..

LIES!

Gender Studies prepares kids for every possible role, in any possible scenario, in every potential workplace, that could ever be imagined.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I would estimate that about 1 in 5 resumes I receive has a word spelled wrong or is a copy and paste from a Google search.

The term "critical thinker" is common.
Those usually head to the circular file cabinet.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: JoshuaCox

You obviously don't work in the human resource department.
I do.
It's hard to find anyone that's not useless today and it's getting worse.

Truth. Anything that requires a moderate amount of effort is like a revolving door of applicants, training, and people who quit halfway through the first day. These are the same people who whine that "there's no jobs".

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: 727Sky

Sorry for the companies trying to find qualified employees but the bright side is maybe the universities will start teaching job skills or trade schools will pick up the slack..

LIES!

Gender Studies prepares kids for every possible role, in any possible scenario, in every potential workplace, that could ever be imagined.

Don't forget you're guaranteed a 6-figure salary! Starting salary!
edit on 6 7 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You must not pay enough.

Cost of living has doubled literally and almost tripled in some places

Has your pay doubled or tripled?

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The term "critical thinker" is common.

Critical race theory thinker, reporting for duty.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

In what time frame?
My income has more than tripled from 20 years ago.

As to tell the truth.
I have never met an employee that said they were overpaid or an employer that said they were underpaying.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt
Goooooood!
Free market would dictate that wages rise to attract more workers.
Why do you think the largest lobbying group in America, the us chamber of commerce, is always pushing for immigration reform? Cause they want to keep the torrent of labor coming into the country to increase competition and keep wages down.

Silicon Valley has ran out of housing to the point that entry level graduates are earning $180K/year and still have to room-share a house or apartment. The cities are trying to fix that by building apartment blocks next to train stations, but there still isn't enough accommodation. In any case, everyone would prefer to live in San Francisco if it weren't for the homeless, druggies and gangs. So they commute from the peninsula and the other side of the Bay Area instead.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
www.truthdig.com...

I believe Chris is correct. The economy in on shakey ground and the tsunami is inevitable.

Time to downsize to a skeleton crew and work out of the paid for warehouse.

Trickle down coupled with a trade war....What could possibly go wrong? You don't see the bubble? 08 will look like a sunday school picnic, believe me. Realisticly, how long do you think the MAGA drug will keep you hammered.

www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 6-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Ill believe that when I see a corresponding increase in wages

You get larger pay increases when you are willing to change jobs. This is well known among people who actively manage their careers. My wife has seen her income increase more than 100% over the past 7 years or so from job changes. She got increased responsibility and larger paychecks. Had she stayed in the same job, she probably be lucky to be making 15-20% more than if she didn't leave.

Here is an article in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago discussing how those who are quitting are seeing the largest wage increases.

In this economy, quitters are winning

...The trend could stoke broader wage growth and improve worker productivity, which have been sluggish in the past decade. Workers tend to get their biggest wage increases when they move from one job to another. Job-switchers saw roughly 30% larger annual pay increases in May than those who stayed put over the past 12 months, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Our company it's drug test. We list it with our openings keeps the searches down. We start at $20 an hour but lately it's getting better mostly women in their late 20's looking to take care of their kids because daddys gone.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: toysforadults
Ill believe that when I see a corresponding increase in wages

You get larger pay increases when you are willing to change jobs. This is well known among people who actively manage their careers. My wife has seen her income increase more than 100% over the past 7 years or so from job changes. She got increased responsibility and larger paychecks. Had she stayed in the same job, she probably be lucky to be making 15-20% more than if she didn't leave.

Here is an article in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago discussing how those who are quitting are seeing the largest wage increases.

In this economy, quitters are winning

...The trend could stoke broader wage growth and improve worker productivity, which have been sluggish in the past decade. Workers tend to get their biggest wage increases when they move from one job to another. Job-switchers saw roughly 30% larger annual pay increases in May than those who stayed put over the past 12 months, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

The key is, you have to be willing to keep working while you look for a better job. The types of folks Bluentone22 and I are talking about start a "hard" (read: harder than sitting on the couch playing video games) job, last a few days tops, quit and go back on welfare for a few months or a year and whine that the economy sucks.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just started a new job at 20 bucks and hour.

I work in the biotechnology field in an R & D department. My position was filled three weeks ago by a guy who had only been here a week, only to quit and go work for Tesla.

There's a lot of options for workers right now. If you don't have a job its because you dont want a job.
edit on 6 7 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

If you are not attracting talent its because you dont pay enough

Its really simple and people my age and younger had the economy pulled out from under us I was 24 years old so we havent had 20 years to build on

You dont pay enough there for no talent

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Why should people work for peanuts while these companies rake in billions?

Good. Hard work doesnt pay, quit.

Keep quiting until the working conditions or pay change.

Sounds like you guys dont like the fact that people have enough balls to use the only leverage they have, their labor.

To me it means people are done settling and thats a good sign for the futuee.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

You just pointed out exactly why companies use foreign labor.
You cost a company around $15 an hours before your wages are paid.
Add your $15 hourly wage and you will need to produce $30 an hour to just break even.

Your talent is expensive and usually overrated.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

This report is disingenuous.

There are over 50 million unemployed adults in the US.

There is not a shortage of available labor, there is a shortage of skilled labor.

Minimum wage doesn't pay enough for a single person to live in a place by themselves anywhere in the US. What type is incentive is this for an 18-25 year old to work? Work and they are stuck living with parents. Don't work and they are stuck living with parents. How is that motivating?

For the people who say you're not supposed to make minimum wage forever. Even shift manager who make 50% over minimum wage in retail don't make enough to live without support in the majority of US cities.

The problem is wages and training, not lack of able bodied adults.

* Added
Less than 25% of the population makes over $50,000 per year. Less than $50,000 per year after taxes are taken out is barely livable for any family with one income. The number of jobs in the 25% keep shrinking.

How long before we look like Communist Russia where no one but the top 1%-5% actually make enough to live comfortably. How many more middle-class jobs need to be eliminated before everyone realizes the top 5% are forcing Communism on the people, while sucking the nation dry for profits that they can't even spend?

Elitism doesn't work anymore than Communism. The outcome is the same. No possibility to advance and make a better life, means no motivation to try. No motivation equalls stagnation.
edit on 6-7-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What you're saying makes sense for small business which makes little profit, but is complete bullsnip for the mega-corporations that see absurd profit and pay their upper manage 100+ times more than they do their actual workers.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Oh so you are justfying hiring 3rd world immigrant slave labor because people want to gwt paid for what you guys have already admitted is hard work

I see

No sorry. That is not a justification to pay someone low wages.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

These are mainly low wage low skill part time positions that they cannot fill. With a few good positions still available.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join