It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you tired of being manipulated yet?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Trump is held accountable and attacked hourly from the biggest platforms down to the individual everyday.

And yet here you are blaming that on someone else. If you can at least place some of the blame on Trump, we can start to have an honest conversation.

So let me get this straight. Instead of Trump supporters blaming the immaturity of people harassing them in public over the clothing they wear, we should instead blame Trump. I guess self-accountability has gone out the window for the left.

Trump has magical powers. He divides people like Moses did the Red Sea.

Division isn’t magical, it’s a political strategy.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I would proud if Trump took the first step. As President I'd like to see him make that leap of faith, even though it could easily bite him in the rear-end. That would be the definition of courage if you ask me

But since he is a human being, he is probably worried about getting burned by reaching out

The current climate is working too well for him.

I know it does, but it sure isn't working out for us/our country. And I don't fault him (or anyone else) for giving in to their human emotion tendencies (the fear of rejection, fear of being burned, etc) but I would be proud if our President reached out to compromise

I think (hope?) the bulk majority of us are willing to compromise with one another. I know I am more than willing

Like I wrote before, I think both sides have some excellent ideas and solutions and would love to see them attempted. I have no issue with a "big tent" political environment. The only folks I won't compromise with are those who pursue violence to political ends or advocate its use (this includes right and left wing)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Trump is held accountable and attacked hourly from the biggest platforms down to the individual everyday.

And yet here you are blaming that on someone else. If you can at least place some of the blame on Trump, we can start to have an honest conversation.

So let me get this straight. Instead of Trump supporters blaming the immaturity of people harassing them in public over the clothing they wear, we should instead blame Trump. I guess self-accountability has gone out the window for the left.

It isn’t, really. No one can force you with words and ideas to dislike your neighbor.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Machiavellianism.

"They" keep us fighting with each other so "they" can keep on going to the bank.

We're either going to
A) Destroy ourselves with this division.
B) Be culled, so "they" can control us easier.
C) Rise up against TPTB and eat them.

Our freedom tree needs a fresh coat of red.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Is this a test?

What happened? I need a new strategy to uphold that certain agreement in disagreement with you. We really had something going and I think you just trashed it.

Shame! And 3 cheers to you.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1
Cry babies cry.....

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Sorry PublicOpinion
It is not a test though, I guess I am tired of fighting while feeling like I am fighting the wrong people. Worst part is, I agree with vastly more than I disagree with

Just tired of alienating so many great people here and elsewhere over political divisions that we have little control over. It feels too "engineered" to me! And perpetuating tired ideas/arguments for the sake of arguing/opposition

United we stand divided we fall

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Forward to victory it is then.

I've gotta get back to the drawing board and use this moment for a creative outburst of sorts. See you around old frenemy, and have a great time!

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It isn’t, really. No one can force you with words and ideas to dislike your neighbor.

I disagree. A lot of times that’s all it takes. Especially if those neighbors aren’t people you know personally and are different than you are.

I’ve seen it first hand where I grew up. There was a race related murder that happened in my hometown of Guthrie, Kentucky when I was a kid. You can look it up, the guys name was Michael Westerman.

During that, I watched people turn racist that had never had a problem with anyone, just because of the second hand information they were getting about what was going on in the community.

People took their kids out of school because they didn’t want them to be in the same classes as black people, the kkk and skinheads held daily rallies around the town, crosses were even burned on some of my friends lawns. All over what the community painted as a racist murder over a rebel flag, which turned out in the end when the facts came out to be nothing more than a drug deal gone bad.

So I can’t agree that words and ideas can’t force you to dislike your neighbor. I’ve seen it. Words and ideas have a definite power in certain situations that you seem to be downplaying.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Would You type it is like:

The 8 years that Obummer was in the WH, every politician w/a (R) in front of their name, dragged their feet w/every excuse, now all those with a (D) get to play that same game..

Do You see it yet?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Would You type it is like:

The 8 years that Obummer was in the WH, every politician w/a (R) in front of their name, dragged their feet w/every excuse, now all those with a (D) get to play that same game..

Do You see it yet?

Im so tired of that excuse.. Well they did it and even though we said it was a horrible thing to do we now have the right to do it and it wont be horrible . you know because they did it..

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

You are absolutely correct in acknowledging that media plays a part in forming the state of human consciousness (how we view our environment) yet you are terribly myopic if you believe that it is only happening to ''those other guys''.
You seem to be under the same kind of control by your one sided observations exemplified by your choice (choice?) of examples. CNN, the media outlet commanded by Potus as the focus of hatred and contempt for his fans to hate.

And oh my, you are hated by those around you. Do you remember when you first grew a beard and just because the media told everyone that beard wearers were hippies everyone around you called you a hippie?
Do you remember when you first decided to grow your hair long and those around you called you a ''sissy girl'' because the media frowned on long haired men?

Do you remember when you couldn't hug a gay man because the media called men who hugged gay?
Do you remember when you could not walk down the street with a person of color because the media would call you a ****lover?

Do you remember when you could not speak out against the social policies of our government and it's interventionist exploits and wars across the globe without the media calling you a leftist commie stooge? Do you remember any of that?

And do you experience being taunted and snickered at and hated because you dared to speak out AGAINST Trump because all the people around you are Trump lovers, told by local media to love Trump and hate you because you live in one of the most conservative counties in the country? By the sounds of your post you have not.

So whine about how tough it is for you friend because the only reason it is so tough for you is because of you.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Again Third line I said they are manipulating us, all of us..

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Aren't you tired of being mad all the time? Aren't you tired of the media controlling your emotions?

As far as I read, sorry if I missed something pertinent.

Since you are aware of the manipulation, then you don't have to buy into it. You can do your own research.

It's the 'actors' that we aren't aware of consciously, that control.

As A. Huxley would say, "WAKE UP"

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

That’s the thing, the tweets are all you care about.

They are a direct link to the President without White House spin , why wouldn't I care about his outpourings over media opinion ?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Yea we have the electoral college.... and is needed to make each state have a voice not just California with a huge population. Why would anyone have to look up something they learned in political science class in high school. We don't use the popular vote for a reason, look it up.

The EC was intended to serve two purposes. The purpose that right-wingers never bring up is stopping a populist demagogue like Trump from getting elected (faithless electors). In fact, some states have enacted laws that punish faithless electors and if faithless electors changed the outcome of an election, there'd be blood in the streets.

Because people don't *really* expect for the system to work the way it was intended to work two and a quarter centuries ago.

The other purpose was far more of a concern at a time when there were 13 states contentiously vying for greater influence in the federal government. It was a practical concern that the same couple states with the highest populations would elect a President who had an allegiance to his home state that would lead to undue influence in the federal government for that state.

Nobody really thinks that way anymore. Is there anyone arguing that Trump getting elected significantly increased the influence of NY over the federal government? Is he conspiring with members of Congress from NY to benefit NY over the rest of the country? How about Obama? Lots of increase influence for Illinois or Hawaii? Bush 43 and Texas or Connecticut?

The whole dynamic has changed. Right-wing support for the EC has nothing to do with the original concern for influence of a President's home state in the federal government.

Ironically enough, it's basically positive discrimination for rural conservative voters at this point.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Neither magical powers nor the parting of the Red Sea are attributed to Moses in the Bible.

Trump doesn't have magical powers either. He is however a demagogue who employs the dehumanization and othering of various groups to stoke irrational fear among his base for political benefit.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I get it Trump isn't very likable I didn't vote for him but to say its all Trump IMO isn't correct. Hillary called half the country deplorable and the media calls Trump supporters Nazi scum. The division is on both sides the difference is the media is far left leaning and plays on peoples emotions. They've demonized people who support the president as people you can't even have a respectable debate with you just need to protest and yell.

I can't blame them they've been told Republicans and Trump supporters can never be apart of society and the only way is if their side wins so they can ignore them and push their policy. Compromise is dead

Trump could end all of it. By doing nothing more than the job a president is supposed to do. Namely by trying to represent ALL Americans and not just the ones who voted for him.

If Trump came out honestly trying to work on compromise between people and refrained from insulting those who disagree with him, a large part of the media and public vitriol would evaporate.

But he doesn’t want that. The constant attacks build him up and solidify him in the eyes of his supporters. And that isn’t something he’s going to throw away.

He actually said that at his inaugural speech and his first state of the union address, but guess what everyone was throwing tantrums, protesting, rioting, and saying "he's not my president". No one from the Democrats wanted to work with him on anything, in fact they have called him every name in the book, made false accusations, and have attempted to block, every piece of legislation he tries to get done, even ones that gives the Democrats what they wanted. just to say No. Not to mention the entire corruption of various federal governmental agencies, as well as the bias in the MSM. So how do you purpose that he can fix this to be everyone's president? If they are not going to work with him, and do nothing but attack him, over and over again.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

The media really is the enemy of the American people.

Agreed.

Then we need to again look at who owns the media and what their agenda is for the American people.

Hint: What do Fox, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, HBO, New York Times, Facebook, and many more, all have in common?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

We literally cannot walk around with a MaGA hat or shirt on without being confronted. WHY?

The president is a dirt bag. And the economy temporarily being up doesn’t change that.

Most people didn’t like him before he was elected when he was just a reality tv star. And that’s supposed to change once he’s president?

For Trump to change his public perception he’d have to change how he acts. But how Trump acts is why you all voted for him, right? You all spend two years relishing in triggering people then act surprised when those same people give you crap for wearing a MAGA hat? Please.

lol, you kind of really helped out the OP here.

Yes, Trump was and is a dick. None of that has changed. But....one thing did change. Trump went from being a loud mouth reality star to being President of the United States. And that seems to have really angered some. (you included) It's been almost 2 years now, and unless something drastic happens, it looks like he will be here for at least 2 more.

I really do wish that you and others who are currently thinking like you, would look at yourself from an outside perspective. Is this the kind of person you really want to be? Intolerant of others political ideals if they don't match yours? If that's you, I suppose you are just being true to yourself, but I seem to remember how the left was the more compassionate ones, who cared more for others. You and a large portion of the left just seems like angry little people who lost a fight and want someone to blame for your weakness.

I sure hope this all goes away when Trump does. I can't imaging how things might progress of the right tries to "one up" the left on the next go around. I sure hope at lest the right is more adult than that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join