It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes wants Belvoir Hunt attackers jailed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Just noticed this on Auntie Beeb's news site.
I do not support Fox Hunting AT ALL but neither do I condone acts of violence by "Saboteurs."
This however will likely give a green light for future protests to get physical or indeed for revenge attacks giving the anti-hunt lobbyists a bad name.
It seems that there is still a them and us mentality even though this has been outlawed.

Thoughts?

"Explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes has called for two men to be jailed for their part in an attack on animal charity workers monitoring a hunt in Leicestershire.

One of the victims had his neck broken, but the attackers were given suspended sentences after Princess Diana's sister gave a character reference in court.

Sir Ranulph said the judge may have been "unduly influenced" by this."

And He'd be right!

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

With the greatest respect to yourself, and the total contempt necessary to deal with the BBC's grammatically challenged approach to actually forming the report in question, one could easily be forgiven for having no idea what happened, or who was the instigator here.

As it happens, the case could not be clearer.

Hunt monitors, that is, people who go to hunts to make sure that hunts are within the law, take visual record of events, and pass on any violations and evidence thereof to the authorities, were present to monitor the Belvior hunt. People affiliated with the hunt, attacked the monitors and stole their camera, breaking the SD card within, to destroy any evidence of wrong doing. Four of the six attackers remain unidentified, as they rolled up in a 4x4, dressed all in black and wearing balaclavas.

This was not a case of hunt saboteurs getting feisty with the local barony, and getting clipped round the ear hole with a riding crop. This was a six man beat down on two men whose method of protest was as utterly peaceful as could possibly be. There is no justification for what happened, and the men who have been identified so far, should be in jail, regardless of the word of Princess Diana's sister. The woman is joint huntmaster, so has a significant, one could also say prohibitively significant conflict of interest, where the outcome of this case was concerned.

Its perfectly probable that the goons who jumped those two monitors were actually in her employ at the time. In any case, that the two identified assailants have not been jailed, is a massive miscarriage of justice in my view, and I hope this matter is revisited. I would also hope that on the basis that the injuries sustained were of the potentially life threatening variety (not many people survive a broken neck after all), charges of attempted murder are bought, which would lend greater scope to the investigation than the relatively minor charges of varying types of assault. I would also hope that the hunt as an entity, and everyone involved, INCLUDING Lady Sarah McCorquodale herself, will be included in the scope of the investigation.

Given her involvement with the hunt as joint huntmaster, its highly unlikely that the fellows in the black fatigues and the balaclavas, were not either known to her, or in her direct employ for the precise purpose of beating up those who oppose in even the mildest manner, the hunt of which she is such an intrinsic part.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
People who kill for sport are already despicable pricks in my book but these thugs are even lower.

Princess Dis sister should also be ashamed of herself.

How anyone can think that prancing around on horseback while dogs rip a fox to shreds is a sport or even acceptable past time is beyond me

Edit: I only clicked on this thread as I thought you meant Ralph fiennes, that’s twice today I’ve misread the name on a thread title, anyone else do the same?
edit on 2/7/2018 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think you missed my point TrueBrit.
What happened to these Chaps doing important work is deplorable.
I only worry that a certain element will seek reprisals and tarnish fellow anti hunt supporters.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Ah, I see.

Well, all I can say to that is, that pacifism is only effective when you outnumber the oppressor. I have never understood the reasoning behind the unwillingness of sabs to match the level of violence with which they are often faced. No one in the world expects a person to face a beating without fighting it, and they should not face a beating without fighting it.

I give it three minor nobles getting their noses flattened and their knees broken, before this hunting crap ends for good. The moment the sabs get proactive about their cause, the whole hunt fraternity is going to shatter like fine china in a cement mixer. That is what always happens when bullies get brutally owned, they fall apart and hide away, often for the rest of their pathetic little lives.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Idiot people, deserve jail.

However, hunt saboteurs arent above nasty tricks themselves like stringing wire at head height over tracks or frightening horses - so both sides have idiots that need locking up.

Hunts provide employment in areas where there generally isnt much employment. Saboteurs risk that employment. For me, its humans over foxes every day of the week.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

So if a bunch of Council Estate types decide to chase the Hounds with their fighting dogs usually called Tyson or Baz. Thats OK is it?
Find another revenue stream or move.
There is NO excuse for cruelty.
If the Foxes are proven to be a pest to livestock owners, humanely capture or destroy them.
There is no sport in the hunt, just a bunch of hooray henrys having fun at an animal's expense.
Makes me sick to my stomach.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

And such wonderful employment it is ...

www.independent.co.uk... l

www.houndsoff.co.uk...

www.horseandhound.co.uk...

The list goes on and on.

Basil says "Boo-ya!"
edit on 2-7-2018 by Cymru because: Correct first link

edit on 2-7-2018 by Cymru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Belvoir "Beaver" Castle is a wonderful place to visit. I especially enjoyed the knock-off portrait of Henry VIII. (Original by Holbein the Younger. Destroyed in a fire.)

As for the hunt, the cash flow is needed to maintain the castle and surrounding property.

Blast away, Duke of Rutland!

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Just a load of hooray Henry's? So you don't get working class huntsmen then? Weird spending 18 years growing up in rural Yorkshire farming village with regular hunts and not noticing they were all Horray Henrys, i must say.

Or people that rely on the work (as there is little other employmeny in their areas)?

Don't get me wrong, i am not a particular fan of hunting. I just think there are far more serious things to worry about.

As to other methods of hunting foxes, farmers used to to go lamping. Back in the day, that was simply driving around at night, finding and shooting foxes - far more humane. Some sabs even protest lamping now, which is utterly ridiculuous. If you can't hunt them and you can't shoot them, how are you supposed to control their numbers?

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Regardless of rights and wrongs of fox hunting one thing is undeniable in this case; a premeditated assault on these men occurred by the defendants and unknown accomplices resulting in considerable injury.

According to sentencing guidelines they should have been found guilty of either Category 2 or 3 grievous bodily harm and as such be sentenced to between 3 - 9 years imprisonment.

www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...

I'm sure if some council estate oiks had committed this crime the guidelines would have been strictly adhered to.

edit on 3/7/18 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

"Explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes has called for two men to be jailed for their part in an attack on animal charity workers monitoring a hunt in Leicestershire.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes is in my humble estimation the greatest Briton alive today , his accomplishments and achievements are the stuff of legend , happy to see him stand up publicly for what is right.

A true Knight of the Realm.

top topics

join