It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s week of faulty claims: MS-13, Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Associated Press is a non-profit news agency known for being unbiased; in fact they are only in business still because of it. They are the world leader in news and have journalists all over the world. Their clients are news agencies all across the world and their clients only want facts so that is what AP does, they bring the facts to the world and then each news agency puts their own spin on the story if that is what they are paid to do, but they all usually get straight facts from AP first. If AP makes a mistake they correct it.

They do an enormous amount of fact checking and post their findings from time to time. Here is the most recent one that covers eight lies the White House was engaged in spreading this past week. I'll quote just a couple, but I would imagine the readers would want to familiarize themselves with all eight so that we know when we are being dis-informed.

On MS-13:

THE FACTS: It’s inaccurate for Trump and his administration to assert that weak immigration enforcement is leading to “unchecked” crime, including from the “vile gang MS-13.” Nor is there evidence of a “surge” in MS-13. The group is unquestionably violent but its overall numbers are somewhat limited. The Justice Department has said there are about 10,000 MS-13 members in the U.S., the same number as more than a decade ago. MS-13 accounts for less than 1 percent of total U.S. gang membership.

On the Russia collusion:

THE FACTS: Trump repeats Russia’s denial that it had meddled in the 2016 election, even though the U.S. intelligence community determined that Russia had indeed intervened to help Trump. Many Republicans and Democrats have said they accept the findings of that intelligence assessment, including Trump’s own Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who has warned that Russia will likely try to interfere in the 2018 midterm elections.

The Senate intelligence committee said last month it had uncovered no reason to dispute the conclusions of the intelligence assessment released in 2017. Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., chairman of the committee, said his staff spent 14 months “reviewing the sources, tradecraft and analytic work” conducted by the intelligence agencies in accepting its conclusion.

On having to hire thousands of judges for immigration:

THE FACTS: The U.S. is not hiring many thousands of judges. The Justice Department’s immigration courts division has about 335 judges on staff nationwide, with the budget for 150 additional judges.

Associated Press

I think it's high time we started focusing on the facts and the truth instead of allowing those with an agenda to lie to us. Politicians lie and we all know this -- but when did it become OK for them to lie to us? Heck, how did it get to the point where we not only know we're being lied to and we're OK with it, some people are even defending those who lie to us?

How did things deteriorate this quickly? How did lying receive thumbs up?

edit on 1-7-2018 by Kharron because: bad keyboard

+32 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Associated Press is a non-profit news agency known for being unbiased; in fact they are only in business still because of it.

False. And your entire OP is dependent upon this false pretense.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

Associated Press is a non-profit news agency known for being unbiased; in fact they are only in business still because of it.

The Associated Press is a U.S.-based not-for-profit news agency headquartered in New York City. Founded in 1846, it operates as a cooperative, unincorporated association.

Customer service: 1 (877) 836-9477
Founded: May 22, 1846, New York City, NY
Headquarters: New York City, NY
CEO: Gary B. Pruitt
Revenue: 568.1 million USD (2015)
Subsidiaries: Associated Press Television News, Ap Italia Srl, MORE

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I live somewhere where there has been an influx or gang activity and cartel activity from some South American country. It's not Mexican's I know how Mexican Spanish sounds and I understand a lot of their dialect.

FBI.gov

we’ve seen an influx of MS-13 members into the southeast, causing an increase in violent crimes there.

MS-13 is expanding its membership at a “moderate” rate through recruitment and migration. Some MS-13 members move to get jobs or to be near family members—currently, the southeast and the northeast are seeing the largest increases in membership

Hmm. Don't know.

Are you saying they aren't a thread? Are you willing to side with them because the president doesn't like gang violence and is outspoken about doing something about it?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The popular "Fact Checks" and the Associated Press itself is owned by liberals. Thank-goodness they're not in power, and won't be, for a long time. This makes their fact-checking 100% toothless. They can bark...but they cannot bite.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Yes, because all those thousands of people don't work for free. I don't think I need to be linking definitions of non-profit, do I?

I can defend the news-bearer all day, they're easy to defend. Or you guys can stop the straw-man and focus on the topic.
edit on 1-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

Otherwise known as the "LA LA LA LA , I don't hear you!!" defence.

edit on 1-7-2018 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

How thoughtful of them to do my thinking for me, this will leave me even more time to watch television programs designed to normalize and rationalize the coming fascist police state!

At this point, I'm not even sure the proletariats are capable of any meaningful resistance anymore. Too busy hating each other and not the corrupt system that has enslaved them.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The immigration deal is astroturfing plain amd simple.

Blood in the water, immigrants are the last hope for the DNC after the nation was gerrymandered. Trump is marginalizing them more by denying them votes.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieZygote

How thoughtful of them to do my thinking for me, this will leave me even more time to watch television programs designed to normalize and rationalize the coming fascist police state!

At this point, I'm not even sure the proletariats are capable of any meaningful resistance anymore. Too busy hating each other and not the corrupt system that has enslaved them.

Based on your posting history Zombie, I doubt you even read what you say they want you to read.

Besides, nobody is forcing opinions onto you, that's why facts are a good thing. If we all focused on them there would be less chance for any side to mislead us. Any side.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Not for profit with a revenue of almost 600M

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Associated Press is a non-profit news agency known for being unbiased; in fact they are only in business still because of it. They are the world leader in news and have journalists all over the world. Their clients are news agencies all across the world and their clients only want facts so that is what AP does, they bring the facts to the world and then each news agency puts their own spin on the story if that is what they are paid to do, but they all usually get straight facts from AP first. If AP makes a mistake they correct it.

bless your heart for trying but you know what the trumpsters have to say about any media that is not in bed with trump.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
Not for profit with a revenue of almost 600M

That should show you how big they are and how many employees they have worldwide, as all that revenue goes towards operations. There are no shareholders, there are no owners.

Crazy huh?

And as with any news, do your own research and verify it, never take anyone's word. Even with agencies like AP. If anyone here did research for these facts, they would find every single thing they wrote about to be true. But they do it for you and you can still do your own if you want.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Not for Profit doesn't mean there are not bills to be paid.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
When did facts become bad and something to attack?

I don't think anyone needs to be afraid of the fact checkers. It's those whose information needs to be fact checked that we need to worry about.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Given Trump's record of often not speaking the truth or facts, he should be one of the last to be calling fake news.

Trump/MSM, just a bunch of people/groups talking trash to each other much of the time.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
The popular "Fact Checks" and the Associated Press itself is owned by liberals. Thank-goodness they're not in power, and won't be, for a long time. This makes their fact-checking 100% toothless. They can bark...but they cannot bite.

How do you ignore that AP is not-for-profit, has no shareholders, non-incorporated association of thousands of independent agencies around the world to say that they have 'liberal owners'. Nobody owns this agency, it's an association of thousands of agencies.

Every single establishment supporter in this thread has attacked the news-bearer, knowing nothing about them, without a single reply on the actual topic. We're at the end of the page and not a single reply on topic.

Derail much?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Don't know if the AP sourced the FBI or not but apparently the FBI thinks they have a moderately growing presence in 33 states not sure what that means

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

How does not-for-profit imply legitimacy?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join