It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homophobia may be factor in 10-year-old's murder: Officials

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

I have plenty of gay friends that were not abused.

Also:
Does Maltreatment in Childhood Affect Sexual Orientation in Adulthood?

Epidemiological studies find a positive association between physical and sexual abuse, neglect, and witnessing violence in childhood and same-sex sexuality in adulthood, but studies directly assessing the association between these diverse types of maltreatment and sexuality cannot disentangle the causal direction because the sequencing of maltreatment and emerging sexuality is difficult to ascertain. Nascent same-sex orientation may increase risk of maltreatment; alternatively, maltreatment may shape sexual orientation.

While point estimates suggest much of the association between maltreatment and sexual orientation may be due to the effects of maltreatment on sexual orientation, confidence intervals were wide. Our results suggest that causal relationships driving the association between sexual orientation and childhood abuse may be bidirectional, may differ by type of abuse, and may differ by sex. Better understanding of this potentially complex causal structure is critical to developing targeted strategies to reduce sexual orientation disparities in exposure to abuse.

There is no conclusive evidence that this is anything but a bidirectional relationship and not the cause/effect unidirectional model you present.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

You realize that a boy's femininity is probably a big reason why the abuse happens in the first place and not the other way around, right? My brother was never abused as a kid and was never really feminine yet still turned out to be gay anyways.

Sounds like a huge assumption on your part and is a pretty good indicator on how much actual interaction you've had with gay people.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Can we just start hanging these people on live TV in the middle of time square?
edit on 6/29/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I had more girlfriends at 10 then as an adult

Very sad story..put the guy against the wall and give him a last cigarette.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That is essentially what the study I posted found. Usually, it is the manifestation of homosexuality which is a product of gene expression, that causes the abuse and not the other way around. While the above is the TYPICAL propensity the study also suggests that the person's sex, environmental factors, and other parameters, may be bidirectional factors. That causality in this instance is indeterminate.

For these cases I defer to genetics

Family and twin studies suggest that genes play a role in male sexual orientation. We conducted a genome-wide association study (GWAS) of male sexual orientation on a primarily European ancestry sample of 1,077 homosexual men and 1,231 heterosexual men using Affymetrix single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) arrays.

edit on 29 6 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

And how can they know that at an age when people don't think about those things.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

How do you know what you like?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

"Why do I like playing with dolls instead of monster trucks like the other boys? Why do I like playing dress up instead of baseball?"

These are all questions that kids will ask themselves if they realize they have different interests compared to other boys or girls.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Lots of girls hate dolls and love sports, tomboys == gay.

Liking sports at 8 didn't make me think about having sex with girls.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

That has what to do with my post?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Well you're not gay.

Your experience does not make a trend. That's called anecdotal evidence and it is hardly a conclusive aspect of the realization of homosexuality in people who are NOT you.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I never said anything about me, that was you.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Lots of girls hate dolls and love sports, tomboys == gay.

Liking sports at 8 didn't make me think about having sex with girls.

Previously you said:

And how can they know that at an age when people don't think about those things.

I think you're interjecting your opinion here and trying to pass it off as fact.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant. Kids at 10 know more than you probably think especially with all of human knowledge at their fingertips these days. A 10 year old knows who and what they are regardless of your opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I hope the little guy didn't suffer much.

I hope the f-er who killed him does, a lot.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I was molested at 10 and wondered if I was gay because of that.
I can testify to the fact that certain church members abusing kids puts them in that position too early in life.
Sad story this child was killed regardless of the reasons.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I'm really sorry that happened to you. No kid should have their childhood taken away like that.

I think that protecting children from abuse is something we can all agree on regardless of our politics.

If it isn't, it damn well should be.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Thank you but to be honest at the time I didn't know anything was wrong about it, I was told otherwise. Fortunately it was a one-time thing that happened at a church camp. It was an abuse of trust certainly but it didn't have grave effects on me, biology settled my sexuality not many years after. It's the kids that are repeatedly abused and violently so that really suffer.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Well i have two brothers in laws that are gay, pretty much seen them grow from around the age of 5 and 7 into adulthood.

They did not particularly pay attention to sexuality nor decide they were gay, until the reached adolescence, one at the age of 14, and the other 18/19 if memory serves.

So there are two homosexual males for a start that if they were aware of there orientation did not seem to say so as children, nor was it an issue.

Obviously, people are just different, homosexual males no more or less than anybody else.
edit on 29-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Once is too much. I'm glad you were okay.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join