It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Humans' vs. 'Westworld', and the triumph of Britain in the AI Sci-Fi World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Well American Sci-Fi writers and producers - You have been trumped by Britain.

'Humans', the British entry into the sci-fi AI [artificial intelligence/Android] matrix is better, more believable, and most important, easier and more
enjoyable to watch than the Amaerican series 'Westworld' - A dark series remake of the old Westworld books and movies of the past, having to do
with an amusement parks for adults with android humanoids that malfunction.

The British 'Humans' based upon a new AI being android called a synth [synthetic Human] who initially are programed to be servants
- A more realistic use of advanced AI than a 'shoot em up' amusement park from the old West.

Many of you have probably watched both series, still running - What do you think?

Is it just me, or is Humans a more believable and better done series than Westworld, who at least did have good aciting ?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

All the beautiful people really turned me off from Westworld but I thought the premise was neat.

You're saying Humans is better? Darker?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Dark, yes - But not because it is darker - Most important it is more believable - A more realistic use for the advanced AI
android of the future.

And even if they eventually do create adult amusement parks, do you really think they would be so violent and gun
obsessed as in Westworld?

If you haven't seen Humans yet it comes highly recommended:

HUMANS rated 8.0 [8/10] on Imdb it is into season 3:

From IMDb:

"In a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human it's transforming the way we live."

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView

'Humans', the British entry into the sci-fi AI [artificial intelligence/Android] matrix is better, more believable, and most important, easier and more
enjoyable to watch than the Amaerican series 'Westworld' - A dark series remake of the old Westworld books and movies of the past, having to do

The British 'Humans' based upon a new AI being android called a synth [synthetic Human] who initially are programed to be servants
- A more realistic use of advanced AI than a 'shoot em up' amusement park from the old West.

Many of you have probably watched both series, still running - What do you think?

Is it just me, or is Humans a more believable and better done series than Westworld, who at least did have good aciting ?

Sad to say there were no books and one movie. Please know what you are saying before you post

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Not just one movie.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Twice now, when it first came out, and a few weeks ago again, I got bored and didnt make it past episode 1 of Humans. Westworld, which the movies were alright but not particularly gripping, the Series for has been a cover to cover affair.

Storytelling isnt just about 'whats most practical in the real world'. Dont you know anything about marketing / propaganda? You dont sell a car based on its crisp logical practical values, you sell it based on the emotional appeals of the driver.

For me humans having a bunch of androids as glorifed roomba vacuums isnt new, isnt fresh, and yada. Been told a hundred times. But thats just premise anyways. Storytelling can just go so much deeper, and human nature is raw on display in Westworld. Storytelling can also go much further, which you'd have to watch Westworld thru Season 2 to even appreciate the odyssey Nolan & Joy had drawn up.

One bell and whistle is that storytelling itself is a core topic of discussion in Westworld. And from there, when assessing quality of cinema it goes beyond just storytelling, then there's cinematography, casting, acting, sets, audio ('sound' & OST)... potential realms of quality & creativity in each of such categories and all in between... and here Westworld is the whole enchilada (or better yet a deluxe chimichanga).

But nice pat yourself on the back for being UKian, jingoism piece. You missed the forest for a few trees as they say, although with a twist, as Nolan is UKian too.

I'll give Humans another try past episode 2 sooner or later, tho...
edit on 29-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Sad to say there were no books and one movie. Please know what you are saying before you post

Try coffee - it might help !!!

From Wikipedia:

"Westworld is an American science fiction-thriller media franchise which began in 1973 with the release of the film Westworld, written and directed by Michael Crichton. The film depicts a technologically advanced, Western-themed amusement park populated by androids that malfunction and begin killing the human visitors; it was followed by the sequel film Futureworld (1976)."

"Westworld" by Michael Crichton [THIS IS A BOOK WITH COVERS AND PAGES
]

Live out your fantasies for $1,000 a day at Westworld -- the ultimate resort! Murder, violence, wild sexual abandon, any human desire is fulfilled by totally computerized, humanoid robots programmed for your pleasure alone...Until a small computer casualty spreads like wildfire and one man stands alone against the berserk machines bent on total slaughter! Written in script format, with pictures from the movie

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I can't tell you what to like - Some sci-fi series that are popular, lke Westworld which is quite popular, don't grab me
even though it did at first - then seemed to get lost, like the writers weren't sure where to go with it.

Other series that only go one season and are not that highly rated, say like the recent series 'Intelligence', are to me
great ideas and make me wonder if the sci-fi audience is still mostly kids.

Granted Westworld is well done with excellent acting - But I fine it too slow to develop and some episodes are long
and tiring soap operas - Yes, there is quite a bit of drama in Humans also but it is not so tiresome and the pace is
more consistent.

I guess that's the way it is - Different sci-fi series, movies, and books will appeal to different people.

Having recently been watching both series - My vote still goes with Humans.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

“Well, that’s like your opinion dude.” - The Dude

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

...and most important, easier...to watch

So it's a dumbed down version? One of the things I like about Westworld is the complex plot, it's a thinking-person's show, like The Wire.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I can tell by the OP this was a contest of whose better, US or UK.

OP criticized it for being too unrealisticish, too "Arcade" as some might say, with Humans being more 'Simulation'.

But now you call it "too slow to develop". In the real world snip takes time; everything takes longer than anticipated; all kinds of tedious and menial all in between every thing; where anything worth doing is hard and perilous. That's the real world. And some shows are boring and tedious, but not Westworld. Westworld where they're showing two separate but interlocking timelines, that takes the entire season to finally pin down what they're even up to with them.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

One of the things I like about Westworld is the complex plot, it's a thinking-person's show, like The Wire.

Way more than The Wire. More like Inception, or better yet Cloud Atlas.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Westworld where they're showing two separate but interlocking timelines...

In some cases it's even more than that, the instant gratification crowd can't handle that level of complexity.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
If, and that is a big if, Humans is better. Then it is a triumph for the Swedes. As Humans is a remake of Äkta människor from 2012. And Äkta människor was better than Humans. And Westworld is better than both. At least in my opinion.

And I know Westworld is a remake also. But it is a total re-imagining of the concept. Where as Humans is a very similar to Äkta människor. Pretty much the same show early on before it started to diverge. Äkta människor only had two seasons.

Another little aside. Humans is a co-production between Channel 4 in the UK and AMC in the US. So..........
edit on 29-6-2018 by karmicecstasy because: Kathleen Kennedy is holding me hostage as a ploy to stay in charge of Star Wars

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Watched them both. Humans is just in its second season, love them both. I didn't continue with the second season of westworld, if it's started yet, due to the channel costing extra in our satellite subscription. Humans is on an included channel.

Both cover psychology of real humans quite well, and they're different enough that I can't pick a favourite. Love them both.

Westworld has a lot of violence in comparison, but I find that's the main difference with American shows, they have more blood...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Humans is in season three by the looks of the torrents streams.

What's an "satellite subscription", or an "channel"??

Whatever they are they sound not unlike my lower intestine: stinky and loaded with danger.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Plus Jen from the IT Crowd is in it.
I have ordered 2 Anita Bots.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Meh. Delores would just gun them both down at high noon.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Rural area. There are no physical cables here, everything is satellite or cellular. 💸💸💸

I think we're still just on season 2 of humans here, we get lots of shows a season late, especially if they're from Britain

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Westworld is more than just an AI amusement , but I won't go into spoilers. I'll have to check this series out. I like westworld because it has deeper meanings and philosophical ideas throughout.

For example, imagine that we (us humans) are the hosts (AI) from westworld, being trapped here by beings in a different realm than us. We die and are reincarnated , yet remember nothing except for a very small few. Our world is controlled and minipulated by these controllers. They relish in these "violent delights".

This concept goes deeper when the show presents it's ideas of free will.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join