It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Parasailing Duration Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This is wild.

A woman was parasailing in Puerto Vallarta and things went really wrong. Being a hang glider pilot, my first reaction was "What? 45 minutes? A parasail?" Parasails are not known for being high performance wings to say the least. However, upon seeing video of the incident it is quite apparent what happened. The appearance of the clouds makes it obvious that atmospheric conditions were very unstable, meaning that there was a lot of vertical air movement. Thermal updrafts. She got caught by a boomer and was hurled skyward. Not a good day to be parasailing.

I've often found myself in a similar situation, with the differences being that I was flying something designed to do just that and I was looking for that thermal.

www.wlwt.com...
edit on 6/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You hang glide? Very cool.

I parapented off Mt Blanc in France. I was shocked at the updraft as we ran off the cliff with an open parachute behind us. A lot more noise than I Imagined it would be.

One of my best memories ever.

I still remember the instructors line to me: "whatever you do, don't stop running till we are off the cliff".
edit on 28-6-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

I parasailed in Acupulco before the cartels ruined it. Looked like I was going to land on the compounds with the walls which had broken bottles cemented to the top like ghetto barbed wire.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

How did you feel about being in front of your instructor? Did you realize that would put you first at the crash scene, had there been one?

Old joke. Rivalries between hang glider pilots and parapanties.

Would you rather be a jellyfish or a dolphin? That's another one.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

How did you feel about being in front of your instructor? Did you realize that would put you first at the crash scene, had there been one?

Old joke. Rivalries between hang glider pilots and parapanties.

Would you rather be a jellyfish or a dolphin? That's another one.

It was the best my eyes were watering from the winds hitting us. Truly didn't expect so much power from the air.

He stuck the landing like the professional he was.

I do it again in a heartbeat even though I have a fear of man made heights like bridges and tall buildings. Go figure.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

That's one advantage of a paraglider. They can land on a dime.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I've often found myself in a similar situation, with the differences being that I was flying something designed to do just that and I was looking for that thermal

Aha! First thing I thought when I saw this was I bet you were jealous.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I like going up but one reason I'm still flying after 45 years is that I hold with the notion that it's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

With that sky, I would have been enjoying a gin and tonic on the beach.

edit on 6/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Have you been in a glider?

I really want to do that.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I have not.

And I have no excuse.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Amen. Sweet, sweet Earth beneath my feet. And a chilled vodka and tonic in my paws.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Theirs some pretty interesting rigs, around 120 cc that you can strap on the back of the hang glider, and just run and take off. Those things are amazing, which make building a wall a bit of a joke.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
This is wild.

A woman was parasailing in Puerto Vallarta and things went really wrong. Being a hang glider pilot, my first reaction was "What? 45 minutes? A parasail?" Parasails are not known for being high performance wings to say the least. However, upon seeing video of the incident it is quite apparent what happened. The appearance of the clouds makes it obvious that atmospheric conditions were very unstable, meaning that there was a lot of vertical air movement. Thermal updrafts. She got caught by a boomer and was hurled skyward. Not a good day to be parasailing.

I've often found myself in a similar situation, with the differences being that I was flying something designed to do just that and I was looking for that thermal.

www.wlwt.com...

Wife and I were parasailing in duo-tandem 1000 ft in Clearwater Fla/Gulf of Mexico-1st time.

She looked down and remarked about all the "dolphins"...dozens below. Wenched back down to boat...the captain said "Those arent dolphin, maam!"

That was her last time para-sailing...(not me!)

top topics

join