It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Time warp' discovered by paranormal investigator outside of Las Vegas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: Gothmog
Ignorance is not a bad term.
It just means lack of information
Now , you are informed
ATS' motto is "Deny Ignorance"
I did.

Newton's theory of gravity is wrong!
It works to a point and then it falls apart.

Einstein's theory of relativity is wrong!
It works to a point and then it falls apart.

I agree that you are denying your ignorance as per the ATS charter.
It's nothing to be proud of.

So , other than just posting a personal opinion...
Got anything at all to back that up from a Physics standpoint ?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

a reply to: Shadoefax

This is actually a great example of how much we appeal to authority.

If Krauss or Degrasse Tyson said this we'd all be a little moist, but because some guy without any credentials says it we dismiss them automatically.

I stand by my dismissal but I would so love to be wrong.

Good point but unless they guy can provide some substantial proof it's good to be highly skeptical. However I think his claim is much more likely than most people first assume. We still have trouble determining the exact value for G the gravitational constant because we never seem to measure the same value at different labs around the world, so we take the average. The strength of the gravity field where time is being measured plays a large role in how time will flow, the main reason satellites in space experience time distortion is not because they are moving fast but because they are in a much lower strength area of Earths gravitational field and they experience gravitational time dilation.

There are global variations in Earth's gravitational field due to the density of the crust in different regional areas. Sometimes this is due to volcanic eruptions (metallic igneous rock). Other times it can be due to meteorite impacts.
This picture has a map of the variations across the planet:

op.gfz-potsdam.de...

Since there is an inverse correlation between mass and the rate that time is measured (based on atomic clocks). being surrounded by high density rock ores like uranium should slow time down by a slight fraction.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Sounds like the 20 microseconds dude is an attention whore. They do indeed have good looking ladies of the night in Nevada where it's legal.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Got anything at all to back that up from a Physics standpoint ?

Yes!

The countless nerds trying to find a unifying theory of everything.
If Newton and Einstein were correct that wouldn't need to happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shadoefax
Interesting, if true ...

LAS VEGAS -- A paranormal researcher said he's the first person to ever discover a time warp, and that he found it on the outskirts of Las Vegas. Joshua Warren has been measuring the rate of time all over southern Nevada, and he said, last week he found that time had slowed down.

Source

He claims that using something called a 'differential time rate meter', he discovered that at a certain spot in Nevada time had slowed down for 20 microseconds. A google search for 'differential time rate meter' doesn't reveal much but it sounds like a pretty neat toy.

Here's another link that has video. It shows the man (appropriately dressed in black and wearing a hat that inappropriately is not made of tin-foil) explaining what he discovered.

Of course, Area 51 is in Nevada and not far from where the man discovered the time warp. Coincidence?

I didn't read the story or research yet but do you recall before NTP servers that computer clocks would lose time? This time drift was generally attributed to the mains frequency not being exactly 60hz. I am gonna take a guess before I start reading that his measuring device is relying on something inconsistent.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Oh they're real alright.

Just last night I was playing angry birds while on the toilet for no more than 15 minutes. When i left the bathroom, 2 months had passed.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill

AMIRITE?!?

You beat me to it sir, Richard O'briem was, in fact, the first to discover a Time Warp and he's reaping in the royalties to this day.

To the OP...

Time is a Human Construct, it's not something that actually exists, i'm not it can be actuallt warped, then again, I'm no Timelord, more's the pity...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   

This is sounding like the"ghost box" one of those inventions that only works when the guy that invented can make it say what you want

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Time is a Human Construct, it's not something that actually exists,

Of course it does.
If it didn't, everything would happen at once.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
From a scientific standpoint:

The apparatus, if I am understanding the description correctly, operates similar to the old Michelson-Morley experiment. Two long wires are extended, I would assume in opposite directions, and a signal is sent through both at the same time. If time is moving at the same rate around both wires, the signals will be in phase when they return; if not, they will not be in phase.

We have a report of a man receiving a reading of 20 us. That is appreciable in that it would definitely indicate a discrepancy in our understanding of gravity. Therefore the experiment should be repeated, preferably several times by several different researchers, using different pieces of equipment, to determine if this was a fluke or if something really does exist. We can then try to find out what, if anything, is causing it.

The concept behind the apparatus appears sound. I am a little interested in building a unit just to try it out around here.... later. I have too much on the ball already as it is.

I would be careful poo-pooing the report too much. It is probably nothing more than a glitch, but there is always the chance something is going on there. It also could be a deviation in gravity, which would cause a deviation in the time rate as per Relativity.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Ummm... updating what I wrote after a little quantitative thinking...

The article mentioned the unit had 100 feet of wire. I assume that it operates by measuring the difference in the time required for two identical signals to travel through two wires. realizing that news organizations rarely get technical details correct, I further assumed that there would be two identical 100 foot lengths of wire pointed in opposite directions.

Electrical signals travel through copper wire at a little less than the speed of light, ~186,000 miles per second. The time one would expect a signal to travel from the center unit, 100 feet in one direction, then 100 feet back to the unit to be compared, is roughly 200 ns (200 nanoseconds, or 0.2 microseconds). The received reading of 20 us (microseconds) is two orders of magnitude greater than the expected time! That means that time would have had to change by a factor of 100... not something that I would consider very reasonable to happen without some non-instrumental sensations.

ETA: I think too much.

The above means the Lorentz factor would be equal to approximately 100. Substituting that into the equation for observed mass, it turns out a time differential of 20 us would mean a gravitational change equal to approximately 0.01 that which would normally be observed. In other words, a 200 pound man would feel as though he weighed 2 pounds. That is quite noticeable!

Considering the likely internal operation of the unit, pulses would be sent out at regular intervals and then convolved together when received to determine the difference in propagation time. Since the expected time to receive a signal is 200 ns, a frequency of signal of 100 times that, or 2 us, would be reasonable. Such a frequency would place the next signal far outside the anticipated differentials and would still be plenty fast enough to give a continuous reading. It therefore makes sense to consider if a pulse was somehow skipped in the electronics driving the test unit and the unit then convoled one signal with the other signal which was sent 20 us later. That would give the readings observed,

I still maintain the science behind the device sounds solid, and it is possible a reading was taken, but my estimation of the likelihood of it being an actual indication of some sort of time shift has lessened considerably.

TheRedneck

edit on 6/28/2018 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
It certainly sounds an interesting idea. Perhaps he could adapt the system to use laser pulses rather than electrical signals to avoid potential interference. Then he would have invented the "Ring Laser Gyroscope"

"A ring laser gyroscope (RLG) consists of a ring laser having two independent counter-propagating resonant modes over the same path; the difference in the frequencies is used to detect rotation. It operates on the principle of the Sagnac effect which shifts the nulls of the internal standing wave pattern in response to angular rotation. Interference between the counter-propagating beams, observed externally, results in motion of the standing wave pattern, and thus indicates rotation."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

do you know what they do in that 20 microseconds? they change stuff. (Mandela effect)
It's why it's always little things that don't matter at all. It's all they have time for. true story.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
20ms a day? 20ms a second?

How quick is it shedding time? Oh, just once? S it will always be 20ms off?

Must be quantum physics. Go observing time lapses and the act of observation creates the lapse! Ahhhh!

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Time warps are easy to find,the instant you walk into your workplace time warps into a much slower speed.As soon as you leave the time speed accelerate into warp speed.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Prene

20ms a day? 20ms a second? How quick is it shedding time? Oh, just once? S it will always be 20ms off?

In looking at the video link posted in the OP, the researcher indicates that he was only able to measure the anomaly once.

He also postulates that these "time warps" are natural and related to specific geographical regions that "flicker" this temporal warp behavior. I take that as meaning it's not a lasting effect.

I guess we'll have to wait for his "paper" to find out more information.

ETA:

Must be quantum physics. Go observing time lapses and the act of observation creates the lapse! Ahhhh!

Yep. When measuring quantum noise, it's possible to introduce "back-action" that alters the randomness of future measurements.

-dex
edit on 6/28/2018 by DexterRiley because: back action

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
Time warps are easy to find,the instant you walk into your workplace time warps into a much slower speed.As soon as you leave the time speed accelerate into warp speed.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

It's funny how this hasn't been verified by anyone else.

Surely a bunch of nerds with the same equipment or better than he has would have rushed there to take independent measurements if this is any way plausible.

I would be shocked if a paranormal researcher makes enough from his allowance to purchase the equipment required.

Yeah...people are Just Now hearing about it (as of your post), but, yes, it is God damn HILARIOUS that there hasn't already been a dozen teams to verify the results. My sides are splitting.

Oh, now you've gone and hurt my feelings...

Mocking people who dedicate their own time and money and effort to find answers they freely share with us all, just because they believe differently than you? That ain't nice, mister... That ain't very nice at All.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Yes, it's one thousandth of a millisecond, like a microgram to a milligram. I have to know this stuff as a programmer, also I don't live in the U.S. so I'm familiar with the metric system, lol.

With tongue planted firmly in cheek I give you...

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

do you know what they do in that 20 microseconds? they change stuff. (Mandela effect)
It's why it's always little things that don't matter at all. It's all they have time for. true story.

I love it!!

Brilliant!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join