It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Complex Organic Molecules Discovered on Enceladus For The First Time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Wow, check this out:

It has everything needed to host alien life!

The plumes of salty water shooting out of Saturn's ocean moon Enceladus have just ponied up one of the most significant ingredients for habitability: large organic molecules rich in carbon.

It's a discovery that suggests a thin, organic rich film atop the oceanic water table - very similar to the sea surface microlayer here on Earth, which is extraordinarily rich in organic compounds.

And yes, you guessed it. These findings bolster the hypothesis that, deep under its icy crust, Enceladus could be harbouring simple marine life, clustered around the warmth of hydrothermal vents.

Previously, simple organic molecules detected on the little moon were under around 50 atomic mass units and only contained a handful of carbon atoms.

"We are, yet again, blown away by Enceladus," said geochemist and planetary scientist Christopher Glein of the Southwest Research Institute.

www.sciencealert.com...

This isn't a surprise to me. I've been saying for years that the universe is fine tuned for life just like it's fine tuned to produce stars, planets and moons.

I think we will find microbial life everywhere because I think life is seeded and when it reaches a planet it looks to survive. We will find microbial life everywhere and eventually come into further contact with other intelligent life. I believe that has already happened in the form of probes which we call U.F.O.'s.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

All the box's ticked

"With complex organic molecules emanating from its liquid water ocean, this moon is the only body besides Earth known to simultaneously satisfy all of the basic requirements for life as we know it."

Imagine the beasties down there.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

But why, when we seem to find organic molecules, planets in the right position, water everywhere we look, don't we see a single shred of even a hint of life anywhere capable of radio transmissions or anything like that?
I mean, if we clearly saw that our planet is something really special, I could understand, but it isn't.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The sooner we explore Enceladus, Europa, Ganymede, Titan, and Mars, in depth, the sooner the better....

edit on 6272018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I've been saying for years that BC Enceladus has life. Now I feel vindicated

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I expect the announcement that we have discovered life elsewhere from Earth within the next 5 years.

Maybe sooner with news like this.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I've been saying for years that BC Enceladus has life. Now I feel vindicated

Why would you feel vindicated?

They didn't announce the discovery of life. Only complex organic compounds. That isn't analogous to life.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

The sooner we explore Enceladus, Europa, Ganymede, Titan, and Mars, in depth, the sooner the better....

Exactly!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

“All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there."

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

“All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there."

Funny thing was that in Arthur C. Clarke's original story "The Sentinel" upon which "2001: A Space Odyssey" (the movie and Clarke's Novelization of the movie) is based used Saturn and its Moons as the backdrop for the story -- not Jupiter.

It wasn't until Kubrick began making the movie and felt that it would be very difficult to do the special effects to show Saturn's rings well in the film that Kubrick and Clarke changed it from Saturn to Jupiter.

So it could rightfully had been “All these worlds are yours except [Enceladus or Titan or whatever]. Attempt no landing there" if Kubrick felt he could properly pull off the rings SFX.

edit on 27/6/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheesh
But why, when we seem to find organic molecules, planets in the right position, water everywhere we look, don't we see a single shred of even a hint of life anywhere capable of radio transmissions or anything like that?
I mean, if we clearly saw that our planet is something really special, I could understand, but it isn't.

People have been seeing UFOs for basically the entirety of recorded human history.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wonderful news.

When do we send more probes?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Delete
edit on 27-6-2018 by Kohll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheesh

When we reach the level of technology depicted in sci-fi shows like Star Trek TNG, we probably won't be relying on radio waves for communication anymore. Maybe that's one reason Seti-at-home isn't finding much yet.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

As a human, I hope to one day get the chance to kill and eat whatever is living in that ocean.

#TeamEarth

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
It has everything needed to host alien life!

So if there is none there, can we give up looking for it?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ohhhhh snap!!!

I just bet there's some spectacular creatures down there.

Great big bi-peds, tri-peds, hell even quad-peds just milling about down there.
The biggest ones biting at each other and grunting. Then puking up everything afterwards. Then the little guys coming by and nibbling upon the regurgitated goodies.
Man, i just want to slap on my space suite and go for a deep dive.
Feeling those cool winds of Enceladus between my thighs.
Man....looking forward to it.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: gortex

As a human, I hope to one day get the chance to kill and eat whatever is living in that ocean.

#TeamEarth

you've got to hurry because us and european spacebombers are already on their way bringing democracy to this world.

humans. best neighbors you can get.

edit on 27-6-2018 by anticitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
welp, we might say as well that there is life there, with all the qualities it would be more anomalous (and a bit creepy) if there wasn't life down there

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

there is no proof that UFOs are extraterrestrial, in fact there is more proof that they are something far weirder i would suggest my (almost) weekly series of "humanoid encounters" thread for proof angaist ETH

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join