It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthony Kennedy retiring from Supreme Court

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
www.cnbc.com...
Well if we haven't had enough political discourse we will get another dose.
IMO this was the most important driver for the 2016 election as I think RBG will be next to retire and open another seat.

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy will retire from the highest U.S. court, giving President Donald Trump another chance to fundamentally reshape the top of the judiciary.

As hot as political rhetoric is currently it will only intensify with this seat open.

In a letter to Trump dated Wednesday, Kennedy said he would step down. "For a member of the legal profession, it is the highest of honors to serve on this Court," he wrote. "Please permit me by this letter to express my profound gratitude for having had the privilege to seek in each case how best to know, interpret and defend the Constitution and the laws that must always conform to its mandates and promises.

Looks like it will be a generation of selections service for the current POTUS.

edit for another source:
apnews.com...

Prominent on that list are Judges Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania and William Pryor of Alabama, seriously considered for the seat eventually filled by Justice Neil Gorsuch, and Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who serves on the federal appeals court in Washington, DC.

edit on 27/6/2018 by shooterbrody because: new source

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
He may end up selecting 3 in his first term, great news.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I liked Kennedy because he's a straight shooter who didn't appear to play politics. Everything I've seen from him demonstrates that he didn't vote for political affiliation, he voted for what the laws of the land stated.

Obviously, the SCOTUS will now favor the right for many years to come. Unless things start to get ugly and we start seeing Supreme Court Justices check out like Scalia.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Looks like we can count on normal Constitutional Judges for a generation or two.

⚖😎⚖

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Nixon had 4
Reagan had 3
bushs, clinton, and obama each had 2

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
We need term limits on SC justices.

Them being able to sit up there for this long has allowed them to screw this country up.

They have way too much power and we need to amend the Constitution to begin limiting it. Allowing certain individuals to wield this much influence for such long duration (decades in many cases) is dangerous.

The entire system needs significant restructuring but term limits on these folks is a good start.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I disagree as the freedom from firing or term limits allows the justices to independently make their decisions.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like we can count on normal Constitutional Judges for a generation or two.

⚖😎⚖

Yeah right.

The fact that the SC hasn't over turned drug-war legislation, anti-prostitution laws, or suicide bans - is proof that none of them have any concept of "Liberty" at all.

So Prohibition of alcohol requires an amendment to the Constitution to ban (because it's my body and my choice) yet they justify turning around and imprisoning people for years over possession of a plant that grows pretty much anywhere and is scientifically shown to be 1000 times healthier to consume than tobacco or alcohol?

Democrats and Republicans in the end are just totalitarian control-freaks.
So sick of it...

link   

I agree with term limits on the House and Senate but not the SCOTUS. Too much interpretation and not enforcement of laws occurs in the lower courts already.

Just an opinion...

Glad to see Trump will get to appoint another and Ginsberg is close also.

link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Man, I'm smiling like a butcher's dog today.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Lol..

This is going to be hysterical to watch liberals triggered across the country...

Should’ve run ANYONE but Hillary...too bad the DNC rigged the primary election for her because Bernie had a better chance against Trump than Hillary...

Man oh man, the 2016 election is the gft that keeps giving...

-Chris
edit on 27-6-2018 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

I disagree as the freedom from firing or term limits allows the justices to independently make their decisions.

You mean "Reign with Impunity".

They need to face consequences.

If I face consequences for my decisions than everyone else should too.
I don't care if you think you're a god-king or whatever high-and-mighty judge over all people because your views and opinions always outweigh mine.

This system of complete domination through "I can't be fired I can be bought by anyone and I'm untouchable" attitude has got to come to an end.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: shooterbrody

Man, I'm smiling like a butcher's dog today.

Between this, the travel ban being upheld, public sector unions getting the boot, and the texter testifying today it sure has been busy.
Not everyone will enjoy the last couple of days, and I fear it will only get worse for some.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This was my driving factor for voting Trump. SCOTUS was number one. I would still have preferred Rand Paul, but glad the nominations will be mostly conservative judges.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

No, I did not. Perhaps that is your perspective, it is not mine.
How are they expected to be oversight for the legislative branch and the executive branch if they are not independent?

Seems this is more about you than the actual op.

good day!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Hopefully Trump picks Ted Cruz.

Shame it's Kennedy and not one of the liberals - still Kennedy's replacement can certainly make SCOTUS more secure.
Just need one of the liberals gone next.

edit on 27/6/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
A conservative Justice who actually believes in 4th amendment rights and limiting police use of excessive force would be nice. Liberal justices protect these, but their justification is often racial profiling.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

No, I did not. Perhaps that is your perspective, it is not mine.
How are they expected to be oversight for the legislative branch and the executive branch if they are not independent?

Seems this is more about you than the actual op.

good day!

Your and my perspective on anything is irrelevant when we have the SC having the final say on everything.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Hopefully Trump picks Ted Cruz.

wow
that would require stones
I don't think he is on Trumps short list

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
As the kids like to say, Winning.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>