It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis Day 2018.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
So Canada is legalizing weed across the country on Canada Day. That's this Sunday. Sounds good but this puppy hasn't been thought though well enough. So many issues that haven't been considered. Weed will be legal but you won't be able to buy it legally until Oct. when gov't dispensaries go online. All other dispensaries have been shut down. The outgoing Liberals wanted the profits and the taxes. I hear that the Con. are considering reversing that and allowing the market to decide how to proceed.

Then there's other issue like how will it be treated? Like booze? Like cigarettes? A combination of both? Where can it be smoked? Just at home? If so what about the neighbors that don't want that smoke wafting into their yards? In designated smoking areas? What about ciggy smokers that don't want that either? pot bars? I don't see that flying.

Intoxicated driving is one that's on everyone's mind. There are tests out there but they are expensive. Not to mention that unlike booze pot stays in the bloodstream a lot longer than the impairment. This is going to be a sticky situation and one that will be challenged in court for years.

I believe this is a positive move but the growing pains are going to be difficult. I find it cloudy. Maybe the gov't has reached out to the states that have legalized weed already. It would be prudent to do so. I have yet to see much in the way of policy though as we get closer to legalization.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm pretty sure the date is Oct 17 for legalization in general.

That's not going to stop my Canada day party plans though!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

We legalized last night in Oklahoma!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Imho it can't be treated as booze and cigarettes because it ain't unhealthy and unsafe as those.

But I'm all for regulations like not smoking in public places, especially where there are children.

Also driving high shouldn't be a problem. They probably need to set a limit tho.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
Imho it can't be treated as booze and cigarettes because it ain't unhealthy and unsafe as those.
But I'm all for regulations like not smoking in public places, especially where there are children.
Also driving high shouldn't be a problem. They probably need to set a limit tho.

My biggest concern is that kids end up on the wrong side of society, due to a law that they can't respect...not to mention the possibility of a criminal record that could affect them for the rest of their lives. I'm happy that they are talking an amnesty for prior busts. Either way, pot will still be easy to find, as it always has been. So I've been told, eh?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

It was legalized in California,nothing any different happened,maybe more people got high,why not worry about liquor stores which are robbed 30 times a day,and promote criminals,don't see anything like that at a dispensary,I've worked at many,majority of patrons are older people with physical disabilitys

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

It's a valid concern.

Unfortunately it is true that marijuana is the door to alot of other drugs, because of being completely harmless some people think it's ok to try some other drugs and not every kid has the head to discern these things.

Being a smoker for years, I think that legalization is premature and our society is not ready yet. There needs to be a re-education on legal and illegal drugs before that starts.

link   

Can Dutch residents emigrate to Canada easily with few or no skills? Asking for a friend...
edit on 27/6/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

link   

All they have to do is copy Australia's drug and alcohol saliva testing. I don't know what the big deal is here, unless the problem is the cost of training officers because at amazon for a 10 pack drug oral fluid tester it runs around $30, not to mention, that other producers offer bulk discounts.

www.onsitedrugtesting.com.au...

Righting the wrongs for minor cannabis-related convictions. There is more we all can do.

www.cannabisamnesty.ca...

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

It's a valid concern.

Unfortunately it is true that marijuana is the door to alot of other drugs, because of being completely harmless some people think it's ok to try some other drugs and not every kid has the head to discern these things.

Being a smoker for years, I think that legalization is premature and our society is not ready yet. There needs to be a re-education on legal and illegal drugs before that starts.

the real reason marijuana was a gateway drug, was that because of drug busts eliminating the availability of it, people who still wanted to get high would try other more dangerous drugs in it's place. this is the reason most people i know who went on to harder drugs did so. because the area was "dry" for weed, and so to still get high they were convinced to try harder drugs. the others who did not do so for that reason, marijuana had nothing to do with it. they were the ones trying things like '___' and magic mushrooms because they had heard from others that it was a different type of high, and wanted to try it out. and many of those people were drinkers, not marijuana smokers. and most people i know, started drinking before deciding they wanted to try even marijuana. so should we be saying that the REAL "gateway drug" is alcohol?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

You missed April 20th, silly folks from Canadia.

a reply to: ttropia

Do you get to grow or did you get jipped like FLorida, by the 'Corrupt Corporate Crony Cannabis Cartel'?

edit on 27-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Now if only the U.K could adopt such a forward-thinking mentality.

Not much chance all the same with the Tory bastards at the helm of our nation and the likes May in power.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Can Dutch residents emigrate to Canada easily with few or no skills? Asking for a friend...

nope it's not all that easy to emigrate to Canada under those circumstances. unless you are from a crappy country and claim to be a refugee. and i don't think that a Dutch resident can get away with trying to say they are fleeing danger. sorry. the only thing i can think of that would make it even harder to emigrate from there would be if you had some sort of medical issue, which would get you immediately refused because you might become a drain on the already failing public healthcare system.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You missed April 20th, silly folks from Canadia.

We wouldn't want to celebrate Hitler's birthday.

link   
a reply to: generik

The only thing marijuana is a gateway to is coming off actual harmful drugs.

Never met anyone who partook in the substance that's said "right this is good but let's try Heroin and Cocaine now" LoL

Gateway drug? That would be alcohol and tobacco imho.
edit on 27-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: generik

the real reason marijuana was a gateway drug, was that because of drug busts eliminating the availability of it, people who still wanted to get high would try other more dangerous drugs in it's place. this is the reason most people i know who went on to harder drugs did so. because the area was "dry" for weed, and so to still get high they were convinced to try harder drugs.

Whatever man, spare us the Gateway Drug nonsense. Some people just like to get f'd up. Booze, nicotine, pot, spray paint, gasoline, choke themselves out, snort condoms (I guess that the latest LOL), nutmeg, lettuce, chocolate, red bull, cat piss, whatever man. Kids be doing dumb snip its what they do. And if its fun they get together and do it. And then some things happen to be extremely addictive. And some people are prone to getting addicted.

But the gateway drug noise, if thats the logic then cigarettes are also such a thing. Which is absurd.

BUT, if anything, pot being illegal puts it in the hands of criminals whom also carry the other stuff. Illegality is the "gateway drug to harder stuff".
edit on 27-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Weed IS the gateway drug... to the 7 11.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

Yes! I think alcohol is the worst!

I get your point about not having weed available would incentive the use of different drugs but I don't think it's just that.

Always had weed available since I grew my own, and still...

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Dude, it's Canada. They don't even get a growing season.

Hydroponic igloos mebbe!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I hear they used to be able to grow peat moss.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join